Fire rated windows for multifamily

Fire rated windows for multifamily

Rental Property Investor · Bedminster, NJ · Member since 2014 · 217 posts · 60 votes

Hey it’s me again having questions on the 6 unit in Allentown that I’m renovating. Inspectors told us that we need to install 4 fire rated windows by the fire escape because the property is commercial...where can I get affordable fire rated windows / glass?

0Reply
77 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2013 · 451 posts · 369 votes
6y

Can someone @Chris K. the attorney in this area that owns the glass business United Glass Ventures, he'd know

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Multifamily Investor · Newport Beach, CA · Member since 2015 · 176 posts · 182 votes
    6y

    Try reaching out to my friend Anna Kelley (aka REI Mom). I'm sure you can find her on google or her website reimom (dot com). she invests in PA and would probably point you in the right direction.

    Hope that helps and good luck!

  • Real Estate Agent · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2013 · 451 posts · 369 votes
    6y

    Can someone @Chris K. the attorney in this area that owns the glass business United Glass Ventures, he'd know

  • Rental Property Investor · Bedminster, NJ · Member since 2014 · 217 posts · 60 votes
    6y

    @Chris Collins thank you! I reached out to her via her website.

  • Rental Property Investor · Bedminster, NJ · Member since 2014 · 217 posts · 60 votes
    6y

    @Gregory Hiban thank you! I will PM him.

  • Kenneth GarrettPro Member
    Investor · Florida Panhandle/Illinois · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    @Stephen Kunen

    Why do you need fire rated windows?  Is the wall rated where the windows are?  I am a building Code consultant.

  • Rental Property Investor · Bedminster, NJ · Member since 2014 · 217 posts · 60 votes
    6y

    @Kenneth Garrett according to the PA code, if there is a window within 10 feet of a fire escape, that is changed i.e. removing the frame then it needs to be replaced with a fire rated window assembly. We replaced the old window because it was in terrible condition but then the code inspector said that needs to be fire rated instead due to its proximity to the fire escape.

  • Kenneth GarrettPro Member
    Investor · Florida Panhandle/Illinois · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    @Stephen Kunen

    Thanks for clarifying.

  • Attorney · Nashville, TN · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Stephen Kunen

    I'll need to see the specs but fire-rated windows are typically either steel or aluminum. They are very expensive. It can go anywhere from $150 to $350 per SF just on the glass and metal. Then you have labor, fire-rated misc. materials, etc. 

    Just to compare, imagine an eight-foot, single aluminum door. If one of our customers wanted to add those to an existing job, we could probably fabricate and install it for around $2k to $4k depending on hardware selection. A 45-minute-fire-rated version of the same door would start around $15k and go from there. Fortunately for you, fire-rated windows are generally cheaper than doors due to less expensive materials you need to buy. 

    Not surprisingly, many developers/GC decide to go with cheaper options that lack any fire-rated glass. It doesn't look "nice" but it's literally a fraction of the cost. 

    Disclaimer: While I’m an attorney licensed to practice in PA, I’m not your attorney. What I wrote above does not create an attorney/client relationship between us. I wrote the above for informational purposes. Do not rely on it for legal advice. Always consult with your attorney before you rely on the above information.

  • Rental Property Investor · Bedminster, NJ · Member since 2014 · 217 posts · 60 votes
    6y

    @Chris K. The specs are:

    (1) 28" x 65"

    (2) 30-5/8" X 70-1/4"

    (3) 29-3/8" X 70-1/4"

    Thank you so much!

    Yeah they are expensive but we have to do it because the building is considered commercial.

  • Specialist · Easton, PA · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    @Stephen Kunen

    I can try and get you a quote on Monday for these windows if you’d like. Materials only?

    I’m not far from you or your property. Was there a specific fire rating they wanted?

  • Rental Property Investor · Bedminster, NJ · Member since 2014 · 217 posts · 60 votes
    6y

    @Matt M. That will be great. Thanks! 45 minutes seems to be fine. How fast can it be done? It is kind of time sensitive. I’ll PM for your number, if that’s ok so I can call you on Monday.

  • Member since 2025 · 1 post · 0 votes
    10mo

    We’re a multifamily property developer out of Philly and found an outstanding local window manufacturer - Vetrina Windows. They produce custom uPVC and aluminum windows made to our specifications right here in Pennsylvania. They can handle any quantity or style, and their sliding and bi-fold doors are also excellent. Highly recommended for quality and value.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.