Is it bad to focus on only getting a 3-4 unit for your first?

Is it bad to focus on only getting a 3-4 unit for your first?

Realtor · VA · Member since 2019 · 10 posts · 2 votes

I have been pre-approved to get a home and I have seen a few places and also put an offer on 1 but it didn't go as planned. I have mainly been focusing on duplexs but my area doesn't have them on the market as often. So I have branched out into the bigger cities near me and found some triplexs and quadplexs! "Personally I don't want to invest in another state yet mainly because I'm learning and also have a life long goal on rebuilding my small town". After running the numbers and seeing the amount of cash flow I would make from a tri or quad it has made me not even want to look at duplexs anymore... Is it bad to only focus on a 4 unit or maybe a 3? I want to house hack for my first ever property and SFH doesn't even seem like a good idea for me and duplexs are covering my mortgage and maybe a small profit but triplexs and quads are seriously almost bringing close to what I make at my W2 job. I'm afraid I'm going to be waiting too long until I get myself a property to make some money from but I also want to have a good cash flow from my first property as well. This has kinda been stressing me out and I just feel asking here would help me figure out what would be best!

Do you guys think it's okay to wait for a tri or quadplex in my area? Or would it be smarter to try and get into something sooner rather than later? 

0Reply
86 views

Most Popular Reply

Developer · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 3k+ votes
6y
Originally posted by @Bradley Lemen:

I have been pre-approved to get a home and I have seen a few places and also put an offer on 1 but it didn't go as planned. I have mainly been focusing on duplexs but my area doesn't have them on the market as often. So I have branched out into the bigger cities near me and found some triplexs and quadplexs! "Personally I don't want to invest in another state yet mainly because I'm learning and also have a life long goal on rebuilding my small town". After running the numbers and seeing the amount of cash flow I would make from a tri or quad it has made me not even want to look at duplexs anymore... Is it bad to only focus on a 4 unit or maybe a 3? I want to house hack for my first ever property and SFH doesn't even seem like a good idea for me and duplexs are covering my mortgage and maybe a small profit but triplexs and quads are seriously almost bringing close to what I make at my W2 job. I'm afraid I'm going to be waiting too long until I get myself a property to make some money from but I also want to have a good cash flow from my first property as well. This has kinda been stressing me out and I just feel asking here would help me figure out what would be best!

Do you guys think it's okay to wait for a tri or quadplex in my area? Or would it be smarter to try and get into something sooner rather than later? 

 Bradley,

I doubt it if 3-4 units will pay you close to what you make on your job. You probably have not calculated the cashflow correctly.

Cashflow is not equal to Rent minus the mortgage payment.

Most newbies make that mistake.

You can also rent by the room or do AirBnb so houses or duplexes might still work.

Duplexes is where I started - I rent out one unit and I even have a roommate on the other.

Twenty years later and I now own 1,000 apartment units.

See this reply in the discussion

27 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Nashville, TN · Member since 2017 · 9 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    @Michael Ealy GROOVY!!! I’m definitely interested in gaining your wisdom and action plan.  20 years in the game and you definitely have “MJ’d” the industry!  Encouraging as I pursue my next huge project!  

  • Rental Property Investor · St. Paul, MN · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    i wouldn't rule out a duplex, unless it's going to be the only one you will buy. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.