How does this story end? Prediction for 2020

How does this story end? Prediction for 2020

Rental Property Investor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2010 · 390 posts · 599 votes

I am perpetually game planning future moves and this exercise inevitably requires taking a position on how the near future will unfold and the best way to benefit. I am interested in hearing what BP users think is about to unfold. Here is how I see it:

Stimulus provides very temporary tenant relief. April bad debt spikes to 5-15%. 

By mid April the banks tighten lending. Bridge debt disappears. 60-65% LTV becomes norm. DSC minimum over 1.5. Cash out refi impossible to get. Multiple appraisals required. Frozen capital until the market resets to new normal.

By summer economic vacancy of 15% becomes the new normal.

Vegas condos in trendy hotels like Signature MGM, VDARA, Palms are selling for $150-250k.

Hospitality assets will be trading on ten-x auctions and $1M will buy you a 100 key Quality Inn in a decent metro like Tucson, Houston, etc.

Multifamily holds on the longest as operators scale back cap ex and race to the bottom on concessions, rent price, etc.

Retail strip centers in urban sprawl suburbs sit vacant no debt market or tenancy demand. 

Syndicators that purchased in last 24 months in "hot growing" markets like Vegas, PHX, at 3.5% cap rates etc get cleared out by 2021. No point to run large capex value adds without the rent bump but can't pay mortgage without the rent bump = disaster. There will be a whole class of very disappointed investors. 

2019 Hottest SFR markets will become worst performing by 2021. Homeowners get bailed out and are allowed to refi and ride out job loss.

Media pins economic disaster on Trump, Biden gets elected and quickly passes stimulas #2,3,4.

Hoping none of the above turns out true but I've seen this movie before. 

22Reply
432 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · St. Paul, MN · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
6y

6-8 weeks and everyone is back to work. 2mm people collect 1-2 months of unemployment and get the government stimulus check. Rent gets paid by 85-95% of all tenants for April and May, then back to normal by July. A few properties that had no reserves are foreclosed on or sold distressed. The overall stock market and real estate market stay stagnate for a few months, with real estate lagging behind as usual by a few months. By the end of Q3 we are back in positive GDP territory and by the end of 2020 we are a net zero growth for the year as a whole. 

See this reply in the discussion

138 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Mike LambertPro Member
    Investor · The Americas and Europe · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Jeff S.

    That was a one-off that happened 25 years ago. I don’t think many investors care about or make decisions based on what happened that long ago, especially when the situation is very different today. I don’t.

    This is a real estate forum but I agree with you when it comes to investing in Mexican government bonds. I invest in real estate, not in government bonds from any country, including Mexico or the US and I wouldn’t advise anybody to do so. I don’t think Mexican government bonds will pay you anywhere close to 11% today but, even if they were, you’d have lost close to 20% in principal due to the fall of the peso against the dollar since the beginning of the year. However, the Mexican government didn’t devalue the peso; it happened through market forces.

    Mexico today is part of the USMCA, the new NAFTA, along with the US and Canada. The Mexican government can’t and doesn’t mess up with the peso.

    I wasn’t arguing with you that the peso hasn’t gone down. I was actually confirming it and noticing that it’s a great thing for Americans living or investing there. I was just making the point fast the devaluation occurred because of market forces rather than government intervention and that the same happened with most of the world’s currencies, with the c exception of the Japanese yen and has therefore little to do with Mexico specifically.

  • Developer · San Diego, CA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    Fun to read this thread and see how things have turned out in the 12m timeframe.  The predictions can always be true ... it's just the timeframe they happen in that's hard to nail down.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.