Acquired 2-unit pre-Coronavirus, should I push to rehab or wait?

Acquired 2-unit pre-Coronavirus, should I push to rehab or wait?

Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2020 · 153 posts · 136 votes

Greetings BP fam – I acquired a 2-unit in Chicago in late February 2020 with the intent to BRRRR. Top-line numbers:

• Purchase price: $45,000 cash
• Rehab estimate from Project Manager & Contractor:
$100,000
• Conservative ARV:
$260,000
• Projected cash-out refinance after fees & interest at 70% LTV:
> ~ $22,000

I had a hard money lender (Temple View Capital) lined up and literally the week I submitted our scope of work for the rehab budget was the week the Coronavirus started affecting the US, slowing the economy, closures, etc. They required only 10% down. 10% of $100K rehab means I would only be $10,000 in to get the rehab going.

Long story short – Temple View paused lending for a while and recently put out a statement saying they would continue lending but requiring minimum 25-30% down for all loans. I totally understand, a lot of lenders are locking up or increasing their requirements now.

My team in Chicago recommended either waiting for things to even out or possibly taking out a conventional loan at 70% LTV to start the rehab. But I don't want to invest another $30K into the property right now since I own a donut shop and the virus has taken a big toll on our cash flow. I need to stay liquid.

Question / TL;DR: Would you recommend pushing to get rehab going now and possibly putting down a higher down payment for the rehab loan? Does anyone know of hard money lenders still lending at 10% down? Or would you recommend waiting until things shake out and return to somewhat normal in the lending world before getting the rehab loan?

If I waited, the good thing is I own the building outright, so no mortgage or interest. Just minor utilities as monthly holding costs.

I appreciate any and all insights.

1Reply
29 views

Most Popular Reply

Lender · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 653 posts · 313 votes
6y

Juan, I would hold off for right now. It's not worth the risk to start the job and end up with money paid out without the result you are anticipating. (ie 50% completed projects sitting etc...)

See this reply in the discussion

17 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • San Jose, CA · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    What shape is the property in?  Would it be possible to rent it as-is?  Or with minimal cosmetic stuff you could do yourself?

  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2020 · 153 posts · 136 votes
    6y

    @Account Closed– thank you for the response. The property is in very bad shape as is, unlivable. Big fixer-upper. Unfortunately, small work on it would not be enough to put it on the market for rent.

  • Rental Property Investor · USA · Member since 2018 · 325 posts · 222 votes
    6y

    Juan

    Is Lori Lightfoot even allowing construction right now? Im in the suburbs and Chicago seems to get more strict by the day. Im conservative and cautious at the moment. Cash is King IMO.

  • Lender · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 653 posts · 313 votes
    6y

    Juan, I would hold off for right now. It's not worth the risk to start the job and end up with money paid out without the result you are anticipating. (ie 50% completed projects sitting etc...)

  • San Jose, CA · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Juan V Lopez:

    @Account Closed– thank you for the response. The property is in very bad shape as is, unlivable. Big fixer-upper. Unfortunately, small work on it would not be enough to put it on the market for rent.

     Bummer.  It seems like the need to be liquid with your donut shop is more important right now.  Better safe than sorry. What a frustrating situation for you.

  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2020 · 153 posts · 136 votes
    6y

    @Erik Hatch – I appreciate that. Haven't heard anything official regarding Mayor Lightfoot's directives in Chicago, but I can imagine it's just going to get tighter. Thanks for your perspective.

  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2020 · 153 posts · 136 votes
    6y

    @Eric Johnson – That's what I was leaning toward – not a lot of wiggle room if things go even a little awry during the rehab. I appreciate your insights.

  • Lender · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 653 posts · 313 votes
    6y

    Good luck my dude

  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2020 · 153 posts · 136 votes
    6y

    @Account Closed – You're spot on – the bigger priority is keeping my retail shop alive. We can wait on the property. Stinks, but that's the reality of things. I really appreciate your opinions.

  • Specialist · Delran, NJ · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 951 votes
    6y

    I may know a lender who could work with the down payment, but I'm not sure I'd even recommend doing that with such a high rehab budget unless you've got a good idea of what things are like with construction in the city. A lot of places have issues with permits even when they can get contractors out to get the work done. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA (19148) · Member since 2020 · 38 posts · 39 votes
    6y

    @Juan V Lopez

    I was in the exact same boat with Temple Veiw Capital. My project was smaller $75k rehab but similiar story nonetheless. Just submitted my scope of work etc..

    I opted to not proceed for a few reasons. One was (like you) paid cash and i have no mortgage on property so no need to rush. Second was how do I know there funding wouldnt dry up half way through a project and then im screwed with a half done project and god knows what legal issues. And due to virus and economy i have no idea what apprsisal im getting 6 months from now. And now without using their money i can use less expensive albeit unlicenced contractor for some work, and stick with licensed electrician and plumbers only when necessary for major work. Thus im saving money and i dont have some hard money lender up my *** while the economy goes to ****. Downside is now im using my own cash and need to pace myself accordingly.

  • Rob BeemanPro Member
    Specialist · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2010 · 298 posts · 118 votes
    6y

    @Juan V Lopez  Juan, I will PM you on funding.  But, aside from that it is wise to have concerns about the rehab simply due to the size of it. Permits and inspections will be necessary, and if the city's municipal offices cut staff or hours, might be difficult to get the project completed as planned.  

  • Rob BeemanPro Member
    Specialist · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2010 · 298 posts · 118 votes
    6y

    @Rick Ortiz  Rick, sending you a PM on your lender issue.

  • Developer · Charlottesville, VA · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Juan V Lopez:

    Greetings BP fam – I acquired a 2-unit in Chicago in late February 2020 with the intent to BRRRR. Top-line numbers:

    • Purchase price: $45,000 cash
    • Rehab estimate from Project Manager & Contractor:
    $100,000
    • Conservative ARV:
    $260,000
    • Projected cash-out refinance after fees & interest at 70% LTV:
    > ~ $22,000

    I had a hard money lender (Temple View Capital) lined up and literally the week I submitted our scope of work for the rehab budget was the week the Coronavirus started affecting the US, slowing the economy, closures, etc. They required only 10% down. 10% of $100K rehab means I would only be $10,000 in to get the rehab going.

    Long story short – Temple View paused lending for a while and recently put out a statement saying they would continue lending but requiring minimum 25-30% down for all loans. I totally understand, a lot of lenders are locking up or increasing their requirements now.

    My team in Chicago recommended either waiting for things to even out or possibly taking out a conventional loan at 70% LTV to start the rehab. But I don't want to invest another $30K into the property right now since I own a donut shop and the virus has taken a big toll on our cash flow. I need to stay liquid.

    Question / TL;DR: Would you recommend pushing to get rehab going now and possibly putting down a higher down payment for the rehab loan? Does anyone know of hard money lenders still lending at 10% down? Or would you recommend waiting until things shake out and return to somewhat normal in the lending world before getting the rehab loan?

    If I waited, the good thing is I own the building outright, so no mortgage or interest. Just minor utilities as monthly holding costs.

    I appreciate any and all insights.

    It depends on the situation in your area. Some municipalities are shutting down no essential construction and not issuing permits or doing inspections so you should look into that as you do not want to get started then not be able to finish because of the inspections department or a stay at home order that halts non essential construction. 

    Also you do not want to borrow hard money if you have other options like bank financing or private lenders. It's too expensive and can wipe out your profits fast. 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Louisville, KY · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Juan V Lopez:

    @Erik Hatch – I appreciate that. Haven't heard anything official regarding Mayor Lightfoot's directives in Chicago, but I can imagine it's just going to get tighter. Thanks for your perspective.

     I have a couple flips in limbo too.  Construction is still ok, it is considered essential. But getting permits is impossible.

  • Real Estate Agent · Princeton, NJ · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Juan V Lopez - is there any opportunity to resell it now to someone like a wholesale and including your plans ? Or can you get any private or jv capital? Can you get a discount from your contractor and put materials on a 0% apr for 18 months credit card so you can get it in rental condition? I don’t know what taxes are like in your area.

  • Mike B.Pro Member
    Developer · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 434 posts · 357 votes
    6y

    One other thing to consider is that when lenders loan on the construction, they are reimbursing the money you pay out. It's rare that a lender will give you the funds upfront. Given the area and budget, I'm assuming your contractor will need a sizable deposit to get started so you would need that plus your down payment. Make sure that you're on the same page with your contractor.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.