Would anyone share how their brrrr investment has gone?

Most Popular Reply

Lagrangeville, NY 路 Member since 2017 路 144 posts 路 218 votes
6y

I just finished up another brrrr and this was a good one. 

I purchased a duplex cash for 90K and rehabbed for 40K.

I'm All in at 130K.

Duplex gross monthly rents are now $2300 (util. seperate)

Appraisal came in at 205K!

I'm doing a 70% cashout refi so i'm getting back the 130K i put in, plus an additional 5K which i'm buying a sweet quad with! 

Thanks to this house, I have about 1k a month cashflow coming in,  a new quad, and still have all my money.   

See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor 路 Ithaca, NY 路 Member since 2015 路 1k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Dillon Jackson

    I got two deals.

    1: Duplex. All cash for 32k, 10k rehab, 64k ARV.

    2: Fourplex. No cash down for 85k, 50k conversion to commercial, 250k ARV.

    If you want a more specific break down I can give it to you in a PM.

  • Lagrangeville, NY 路 Member since 2017 路 144 posts 路 218 votes
    6y

    I just finished up another brrrr and this was a good one. 

    I purchased a duplex cash for 90K and rehabbed for 40K.

    I'm All in at 130K.

    Duplex gross monthly rents are now $2300 (util. seperate)

    Appraisal came in at 205K!

    I'm doing a 70% cashout refi so i'm getting back the 130K i put in, plus an additional 5K which i'm buying a sweet quad with! 

    Thanks to this house, I have about 1k a month cashflow coming in,  a new quad, and still have all my money.   

  • Lagrangeville, NY 路 Member since 2017 路 144 posts 路 218 votes
    6y

    @Nick Rutkowski      I went to college at Cortland.  You doing student rentals?  I live on Tompkins and Owego st.  Go red dragons. 

  • Rental Property Investor 路 Ithaca, NY 路 Member since 2015 路 1k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Brian Zaug

    No, I鈥檓 doing AirBnB and my place is fully booked. Student housing is probably hurting because Cortland is shut down. There鈥檚 opportunity if you find the right seller.

  • Rental Property Investor 路 Charleston, SC 路 Member since 2019 路 5 posts 路 1 vote
    6y

    @Nick Rutkowski that would be greatly appreciated! Thank you Nick.

  • Rental Property Investor 路 Charleston, SC 路 Member since 2019 路 5 posts 路 1 vote
    6y

    @Brian Zaug that is amazing!

  • Ryan ShortPro Member
    Investor 路 Boston, MA 路 Member since 2016 路 77 posts 路 55 votes
    6y

    @Dillon Jackson Hi Dillon, I just finished up a BRRR deal on a 7 unit I purchased about 8 months ago.

    Purchase Price: $545,000 at 20% DP,

    Rents at Purchase: $5900

    Rehab: $35,000

    Total invested: $144,000

    NOI raised by $23,400 a year= 7.75% Cap Rate=$302,000 of added value, appraiser did not give the full value because of the age and really bad comps for my 7 unit. He used the income approach but the comps hindered his decision 馃槩

    Rents after rehab: $7850

    Cash out Refi: Appraisal came in at $780,000 LTV 75%

    Cash pulled: $145,000 and still have 25% equity in the property equaling $195,000

  • Rental Property Investor 路 Washington, DC 路 Member since 2018 路 24 posts 路 0 votes
    6y

    @Nick Rutkowski @Ryan Short can you tell me more about the rehab cost? I am looking in the DC area at 4 unit buildings, however I'm not sure what the cost will be to rehab the units.

    These units are usually in pretty bad shape (3 out of 10). I would like to rent them with hopes of a low rehab cost, while meeting renter expectations by making it a (7 out of 10) so to speak. Unfortunatley, i'm not sure what a low cost rehab actually cost. 

    I will be living in one of the rental units for the initial year. Do you think it is better to rent and renovate or renovate and sale as separate units? If I renovate them and sale I would be looking to make them look like an 8 out of 10. I know personal/preference scales will vary, but I hope you get an idea of what I am trying to say. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am currently working on a spreadsheet to quickly identify good buys from bad ones (cap rate, NOI, CASH ON CASH, etc.).

    Jesse from Jersey (currently living in DC metro area)

  • Real Estate Agent 路 Philadelphia, PA 路 Member since 2015 路 76 posts 路 25 votes
    6y

    @Julian Orsuto care to share one of your BRRR deals?

  • Real Estate Agent 路 Philadelphia, PA 路 Member since 2015 路 19 posts 路 10 votes
    6y

    I've been doing BRRR investing for a few years now in Philadelphia as well as working with clients who have done the same. I see many people here on BP who share very low estimates on rehab and I believe that's where you can get caught in a bind. In the beginning, I tried having lower rehab budgets for deals and I wound up just putting band aids on things I should have completely redone in the beginning. On one property it ended up costing me around 10k the first year due to issues the tenant brought up to my property manager that were legitimate.

    If you're going to keep a property for an extended period of time I'd look to do most of the major systems (HVAC, electric, plumbing, roof, etc) if you can off the bat. 

    When we redo properties like this we're generally around $60-70/sf and were finishing at a higher level than rental grade. This also helps when you're going to get the property appraised. The appraisers have been generous when we finish at a higher level (in line with flip properties) in Philadelphia. This translates into being able to pull more money out or allows you to buy maybe a few bucks higher. 

    **In light of the current worldwide pandemic, lenders have become really tough on cash out refis though so be careful. My lender who would always do 75% LTV is now only doing 65% so keep that in mind in the coming months.

    Hope that helps!

  • Rental Property Investor 路 St. Paul, MN 路 Member since 2016 路 3k+ posts 路 3k+ votes
    6y

    I've done 60+. The method works well if you can create enough equity to refi and still cash flow well. I stopped doing them to focus on syndication, but it is a great strategy. 

  • Rental Property Investor 路 Washington, DC 路 Member since 2018 路 24 posts 路 0 votes
    6y

    @Julian Orsuto Can you send me pictures of the finished product? 

  • Atlanta, GA 路 Member since 2016 路 53 posts 路 78 votes
    6y

    @Ryan Short Impressive! Can I ask what class the property was?

  • Ryan ShortPro Member
    Investor 路 Boston, MA 路 Member since 2016 路 77 posts 路 55 votes
    6y

    @Melissa Uppelschoten thank you. This property is between a C+ and a B class, 7.5% cap rate. This property is cash flowing $2600 a month after all expenses. Value add deals are very profitable in this area and still appreciate at a decent rate. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.