How to structure a contract for off market multi w/out a realtor

How to structure a contract for off market multi w/out a realtor

Logansport, IN · Member since 2020 · 11 posts · 4 votes

I have been working this lead I picked up and trying to figure it out as I go.

Checking with the city on zoning and codes etc. Doing research on underwriting.

Ive been advised to get it under contract with the seller before I bring contractors in and start vetting investors.

Do I just Google real estate attorneys and have someone draw something up?

1Reply
16 views

Most Popular Reply

Developer · Charlottesville, VA · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
5y
Originally posted by @April Savoie:

I have been working this lead I picked up and trying to figure it out as I go.

Checking with the city on zoning and codes etc. Doing research on underwriting.

Ive been advised to get it under contract with the seller before I bring contractors in and start vetting investors.

Do I just Google real estate attorneys and have someone draw something up?

Once you decide if it's a good deal you will want to start with an LOI to settle on the general terms of the contract. Once you have agreement on the terms you can then approach the attorney to draft the actual contract. You can also have the attorney do the LOI as well but thats pretty straight forward. Make sure you have an attorney who handles the type of property you are looking at. Some specialize in residential only and do not do commercial and multifamily so getting a recommendation from other multifamily investors is a good suggestion.

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2020 · 28 posts · 6 votes
    5y

    Don’t goodie. Put a post in real estate fb groups for a recommended attorney that is investor friendly 

  • Developer · Charlottesville, VA · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @April Savoie:

    I have been working this lead I picked up and trying to figure it out as I go.

    Checking with the city on zoning and codes etc. Doing research on underwriting.

    Ive been advised to get it under contract with the seller before I bring contractors in and start vetting investors.

    Do I just Google real estate attorneys and have someone draw something up?

    Once you decide if it's a good deal you will want to start with an LOI to settle on the general terms of the contract. Once you have agreement on the terms you can then approach the attorney to draft the actual contract. You can also have the attorney do the LOI as well but thats pretty straight forward. Make sure you have an attorney who handles the type of property you are looking at. Some specialize in residential only and do not do commercial and multifamily so getting a recommendation from other multifamily investors is a good suggestion.

  • Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2019 · 147 posts · 156 votes
    5y

    Definitely have an attorney draft the actual purchase agreement! You could do an LOI which isn't really binding just to get your terms on paper and have the seller somewhat commit to them. During that time, you can start some of your DD and have the attorney draw up the actual purchase agreement. Make sure you work with an experienced real estate attorney (preferably one that has experience in the property type you're putting an offer on and has done quite a few deals).

  • Real Estate Broker · Portland, OR · Member since 2019 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    "Do I just Google real estate attorneys and have someone draw something up?"

    Yeah, sure.  Why not just download a free sales agreement while you at it?

    Cheaping out up front does you no favors.  I find you people entertaining though.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.