Are big operators buying Apartments just for depreciation?

Are big operators buying Apartments just for depreciation?

Member since 2021 · 12 posts · 7 votes

The market is frothy and cap rates have compressed. I am looking at the prices that large multifamily owners are paying and it makes me scratch my head a little bit. Buying at a five or six cap without much room for adding value seems like a very lean deal to me but bigger outfits are doing it left and right while money is cheap. 

I figured that there is an element that just want to preserve capital or just squeeze out a little yield but then it occurred to me that they just might be buying mainly for depreciation. If they have been holding apartments for decades, they have probably run through a lot of their depreciation benefits. Their marginal tax rates between federal and state are probably above 40% on their last dollar of rental income. I was always taught not to buy for depreciation because it is really only a loan from the IRS. That make sense but if you plan to buy and hold AND can front load a lot of depreciation through cost segregation, then why not??? You save on taxes today, which is better than saving later. . .

Does buying for depreciation make sense? I am a full time buy and hold investor for the past couple of decades. I have seen my depreciation amounts reduce and my cash flow go up. If I was to buy an apartment complex at a six cap that needs a little work, my cash on cash return is also around 6-7%. That return doesn't seem to hot for all the work and risk involved, but say I do a cost segregation study and can write off 15% of the building value in year one. Now all of a sudden I have a whole lot of depreciation that I can use to offset my rental income from other properties. My overall return on this new complex is closer to 25% when I factor in the money I am saving in taxes on my other rental income. Does this make sense for me to do? Am I missing something?

I completely understand that depreciation savings eventually comes due, but I am a buy and holder. I would rather save the money today and deal with that way down the line. But maybe I am missing something? This is my first ever post on BP and would appreciate any feedback or words of wisdom?

2Reply
73 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · North Richland Hills, TX · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
5y

Buying for depreciation makes sense if you (or your spouse) are a real estate professional (in the tax sense). Then you can write off excess depreciation against your regular income.

Also, excess depreciation can be used instead of 1031 for passive investors. If you have realized capital gains from one project and reinvest the proceeds into another that utilizes cost segregation and excess depreciation, you would likely shield you your gains from taxes if your share of depreciation is higher than the gain.

That said, I suspect that large operators are buying mostly for their own benefits: they get acquisition fee and asset management fee from the "day one" and if their investors end up holding the bag 5 years later, it's a ding on the operator's reputation but the fees have more than paid for that ding. 

See this reply in the discussion

16 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · North Richland Hills, TX · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    Buying for depreciation makes sense if you (or your spouse) are a real estate professional (in the tax sense). Then you can write off excess depreciation against your regular income.

    Also, excess depreciation can be used instead of 1031 for passive investors. If you have realized capital gains from one project and reinvest the proceeds into another that utilizes cost segregation and excess depreciation, you would likely shield you your gains from taxes if your share of depreciation is higher than the gain.

    That said, I suspect that large operators are buying mostly for their own benefits: they get acquisition fee and asset management fee from the "day one" and if their investors end up holding the bag 5 years later, it's a ding on the operator's reputation but the fees have more than paid for that ding. 

  • Member since 2021 · 12 posts · 7 votes
    5y

    Thanks Nick for the response! For those that do syndicate, is it common to use cost segregation at the beginning or would that just come back to bite you? Unless you buy and hold forever but I don't think that is the typical syndication model. 

    For those that buy bigger deals and can take advantage of depreciation, how much of a factor does depreciation make when underwriting and choosing to purchase?

  • Investor · North Richland Hills, TX · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Matt George,

    Cost segregation study and decision to use it are done during due diligence process before even buying a property. I am not sure what you mean by "come back to bite you". Once the project is sold all previously accumulated depreciation is recaptured and taxed at something like 20% (ask a CPA for exact rules). If you hold "forever", there is no recapture tax (heirs get a step-up basis) but that would not work with a syndication as those are not held forever.

    On your second question, the deal must meet ROI requirements first and for most. Depreciation does not change that and does not even apply to all investors (e.g. those with IRAs and 401Ks don't get any benefits from it). It is usually used a sales pitch for otherwise mediocre deals.

  • Member since 2021 · 12 posts · 7 votes
    5y

    Nick, Good feedback on the syndication model! I am not a syndicator and much of my competition isn't syndicators. I am more curious about the bigger mom and pop owners who have owned tons of apartments for decades--maybe they have a portfolio of 50 million in value. They have a ton of passive income, and depreciation deductions have been used up. Let's say their taxable income is five million per year. They are getting killed on taxes. . . 

    To combat their high tax bills every year, what if they bought a 5-6 cap, class B or C rental that doesn't even cash flow that much? If the price of that hypothetical complex is $10,000,000, they could do a cost segregation and generate a depreciation deduction of say $1,000,000 in the first year. Depending on the state they are in, this would save them $400,000 - $500,000 in the first year on their tax bill (which is nice). This would be really advantageous for buy and hold people. Assuming they put 25% down (2.5 mil) and the property simply breaks even in the first year, their overall return after the tax savings is 16-20%

    I am not an accountant nor do I personally play with big numbers like this, but does this make sense? Maybe I am missing something??? Is this what smaller buy and hold players like me should shoot to do?  

  • Investor · North Richland Hills, TX · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Matt George, "mom & pop" and $50M don't usually belong to the same sentence :-) I know two or three people who have $50+ portfolios but they are in their 40ies and own not just the properties but also management companies that manage those properties and also engage in the day-to-day operations of the said companies. They don't have to sell but nevertheless they sell their smaller assets and trade them up (1031 tax deferred exchange) to larger ones. That resets the depreciation. Initially those lager assets don't cash flow much but the plan is always to raise the rents and get even more income than before.

    I once spoke with a "mom & pop" owner of a 140+ units complex that was paid in full. I asked him why he would not sell and trade up to a larger asset and have tax deferred income. He replied that he gets plenty of income and not does not care if that income is taxable. I don't know if he is an exception or a rule.

  • Member since 2021 · 12 posts · 7 votes
    5y

    I guess "Mom and Pop" was not best description for a company with 50 Mil worth of apartments. I just meant the smaller family run company with a few hundred units, as opposed to the institutional outfits or the syndicators. The family run companies that I know typically started back in the 80s or maybe even 70's. They kept adding units, bumping up rents, and stayed the course. They are now senior citizens. They self manage with their own management companies. Their kids are sometimes active now. These people are all over the place and they have no idea what bigger pockets is. 

    The weird thing is that some of these high net worth investors I know are still super active in fixing toilets, doing showings, etc. Whatever floats their boat I guess. Their mindset is just different from the "4-hour workweek" that is touted these days. 

  • Member since 2021 · 12 posts · 7 votes
    5y

    I was once replacing a toilet in a unit because the tank lid cracked and we couldn't find one that fit the tank. A older gentleman came by in a rattly old truck. He owned over a hundred single family homes and condos and had to be in his 80s. I had heard of him so we got talking and he told me that he started landlording back in the 60s and still worked 6.5 days per week. Then he asked if he could have the old used toilet because he thought he might have a matching tank lid for it. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Portland, OR · Member since 2019 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    If by big operators you mean syndicators, here's why they're buying

    1) They don't place it, investor money is on a rubber-band, it'll move to the next syndicator

    2) They don't place it, they lose on future asset and prop mgmt fees

    3) They don't place it, they lose the 2% they keep for income and appreciation

    4) Tell me the other type of investment that is offering tax-sheltered returns better than CRE

    5) Tell me the CRE doing better than apartments

    6) Certain places like ATL, NC, MIA , Austin are darlings and only so much inventory so they need to reach

  • Rental Property Investor · Gulf Shores, AL · Member since 2019 · 107 posts · 115 votes
    5y

    @Matt George

    Lots of reasons to buy but I doubt depreciation is the sole reason.

    A 5-6% cap property could be appreciating rapidly.

    or

    Could be a more stable asset class

    or

    There could a repositioning strategy to increase NOI

    or

    Rents are undermarket

    or

    Expense could be significantly reduced.

    or...

    That’s what due diligence is for my friend.

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    5y

    Well when the 10 year US Treasury is 1%, a 6% cap looks pretty good.  Where else do you think you are gettint 5 or 6% with relatively low risk?

  • Syndication Expert and Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2016 · 591 posts · 808 votes
    5y

    We had a large group looking to be the main source of equity for a large project ($50M+) where they were all real estate professionals and were primarily looking for a low risk vehicle that would throw off significant depreciation via the cost seg. 

    They even wanted to front load the depreciation in the first year to their group with the remaining investors would get a catch up until it was even.

    We ended up not doing the deal with them, but to answer your questions, yes, absolutely. 

  • Member since 2021 · 12 posts · 7 votes
    5y

    Thanks everyone for the responses. Depreciation certainly doesn't hurt the deal, especially if you are a real estate professional. And if you are throwing off a ton of cash flow, then it is pretty low risk to add another property to the mix. A lot of active work for a 5-6% Coc return though but definitely low risk. . .

  • Yonah WeissPro Member
    Cost Segregation Expert and Investor · Lakewood, NJ · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    Great questions @Matt George, and great answers by @Nick B.! I will add simply, having spoken with hundreds of clients over the past couple of years, there definitely are some (including syndicators) that are buying for depreciation, and cost seg, but they are the minority. As you said above, if they have REPS, and lot's of potentially taxable income from other places, it may make sense to get the tax benefits in the current year.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Nick B.:

    @Matt George, "mom & pop" and $50M don't usually belong to the same sentence :-) I know two or three people who have $50+ portfolios but they are in their 40ies and own not just the properties but also management companies that manage those properties and also engage in the day-to-day operations of the said companies. They don't have to sell but nevertheless they sell their smaller assets and trade them up (1031 tax deferred exchange) to larger ones. That resets the depreciation. Initially those lager assets don't cash flow much but the plan is always to raise the rents and get even more income than before.

    I once spoke with a "mom & pop" owner of a 140+ units complex that was paid in full. I asked him why he would not sell and trade up to a larger asset and have tax deferred income. He replied that he gets plenty of income and not does not care if that income is taxable. I don't know if he is an exception or a rule.

    I have a few clients like that.. I sold them a 100 unit building for 5 million they paid cash and I asked them.. why dont you hang some debt on it.. They just said they dont do debt.. bad experiences with debt a few decades ago.. so what they own is paid for.. and its a ton of stuff in Oregon and Honolulu but they also made their money as builder developers so they made big bucks for many years.  And being in Hawaii for tax benefits they do semi complicated Solar projects there in the islands 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Matt George:

    I was once replacing a toilet in a unit because the tank lid cracked and we couldn't find one that fit the tank. A older gentleman came by in a rattly old truck. He owned over a hundred single family homes and condos and had to be in his 80s. I had heard of him so we got talking and he told me that he started landlording back in the 60s and still worked 6.5 days per week. Then he asked if he could have the old used toilet because he thought he might have a matching tank lid for it. 

    America is full of these types of landlords they are in every MSA and especially in the mid west were prices were so low for so many years.

  • Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 691 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Steve Morris:

    If by big operators you mean syndicators, here's why they're buying

    1) They don't place it, investor money is on a rubber-band, it'll move to the next syndicator

    2) They don't place it, they lose on future asset and prop mgmt fees

    3) They don't place it, they lose the 2% they keep for income and appreciation

    4) Tell me the other type of investment that is offering tax-sheltered returns better than CRE

    5) Tell me the CRE doing better than apartments

    6) Certain places like ATL, NC, MIA , Austin are darlings and only so much inventory so they need to reach

    Great points!! 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.