Multi-Family and Apartment Investing

User Stats

Votes
Amber Titus
Votes |
Seasoned MFH Investors - I need your advice

Amber Titus
Posted May 7 2021, 13:51

Hello! I am actively looking to purchase my first investment property and multi-family homes interest me the most. I just uncovered a local opportunity that I'd like to run by you. We are in the process of selling our primary residence in Indiana. We need to stay in the area for another year for our son to graduate, so would like to purchase an investment property we can stay in until he graduates. I found a portfolio of 3 duplexes that were built in the late 90's, new a/c in 2017 and new roof in 2020. The properties appear to be very well taken care of. Am I able to get a conventional or FHA loan with there being a total of 6 doors with me living in one or is that considered commercial if I package it all together? Perhaps, to be creative, I take out 2 mortgages (1 with 2 duplexes and 1 with 1 duplex) to finance as a personal vs commercial loan. Thoughts?

Also, what is the best way to determine if the asking price is on point or if it's inflated?  Let me know if there is anything else I should consider.  I know these properties would be very easy to keep occupied as they are in a desireable area of town - bonus, it's a college town and next to a hospital that utilizes traveling nurses!

Thank you in advance for your thoughts, suggestions and advice!

Loading replies...