Increasing NOI for a BRRRR Cash-Out Refi.

Increasing NOI for a BRRRR Cash-Out Refi.

Member since 2020 · 22 posts · 12 votes

Hi all! My husband and I are about to execute our very first BRRRR- with our very first property. (Oh my gosh, I've been waiting for this moment!) It's a 5-unit that we bought 6 months ago for $299,000, put $50,000 into it (new floors, countertops, painted cabinets, new hardware, painted exterior, bought coin-op laundry machines), increased the rents dramatically, added pets fees, and now we plan to pull all of our money back out so we can rinse and repeat.

Yesterday I met with my multi-family appraiser friend, just to validated our new value before pulling the trigger. He estimated that it should appraise for somewhere around $500,000 which is wonderful (we would get 75% of that, which is $375,000). So I'm not complaining at all, BUT in my spreadsheet, I had it closer to $512,000 because I was counting the extra laundry income ($84/month x 12 months / 8.2% cap rate = $12,292). According to my appraiser friend, you don't count laundry income in the NOI. Is that standard?? If so, why doesn't it count?

Thank you in advance.

Hilary

Co-owner, Bilary Property Group, LLC

1Reply
14 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Carrollton, TX · Member since 2015 · 415 posts · 371 votes
    5y

    @Hilary Graves

    A quick google search pretty much consistently shows that NOI starts with Gross Operating Income that includes all revenues generated from the operation of the property i.e. rents, pet fees, vending machines, covered parking privileges, laundry revenues, etc.

    You mention standards :-) which may be a keyword here. Maybe some appraisers just deviate from standards a little just because they can. Bottom line is valuation is not an exact science. Just like beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, value is in the eyes of the BEERholder.... :-)

    If you're refinancing to get some money out, then the bank and its chosen appraiser would be the beerholder and you're really at their mercy as to what valuation you'll get (I'm sure it partly depends on how much beer they have consumed). Of course your defense would be to find another bank.

    Cheers... Immanuel

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.