• Developer
  • LA, Nashville TN
Votes |
Standing/walkout balcony ideas

Leland S.
  • Developer
  • LA, Nashville TN
Posted Jan 27 2022, 10:09

I'm struggling with this project to get a finalized design. My original design is shown below with nice large walk out balconies, however my GC never prepped the framing to support such balconies. I'm a year into the project now still with no design. My default was to go down to Juliet balconies but for the upstairs I think it will really detract from the space given it's a small room and the doors dropping off into nothing seem odd to me. I have a truss system and therefore there are no LVL's in place to drill into, but blocking can be added across the trusses. It is bricked on the outside.

I found something like this: https://deciron.com/cubist-sty...

Architectural Rendering:

What I got:

User Stats

Votes
Pavan Sandhu
  • Developer
  • Sacramento, CA
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Sacramento, CA
Replied Jan 28 2022, 12:46

not bad but not the same. What effect will no balconies have on the project?

User Stats

Votes
Leland S.
  • Developer
  • LA, Nashville TN
Votes |
  • Developer
  • LA, Nashville TN
Replied Jan 28 2022, 17:38

@Pavan Sandhu - Considering they will be a mix of short-term rentals and long-term rentals, I think it would just devalue the upstairs bedroom a bit because it's awkward. Short-term renters wouldn't care so much because there's a huge roof-top deck. In the end, it just becomes an awkward door vs floor to ceiling glass or lots of windows, which I think would be preferable to double doors with Juliet balconies. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Peter Tverdov#3 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • New Brunswick, NJ
Votes |
Peter Tverdov#3 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • New Brunswick, NJ
Replied Jan 28 2022, 20:21

WTH! Why did he change it like that without saying anything to you? 

User Stats

Votes
Chad McMahan
  • Residential Real Estate Broker
  • Sedona, AZ
Votes |
  • Residential Real Estate Broker
  • Sedona, AZ
Replied Jan 29 2022, 07:57
Originally posted by @Leland S.:

I'm struggling with this project to get a finalized design. My original design is shown below with nice large walk out balconies, however my GC never prepped the framing to support such balconies. I'm a year into the project now still with no design. My default was to go down to Juliet balconies but for the upstairs I think it will really detract from the space given it's a small room and the doors dropping off into nothing seem odd to me. I have a truss system and therefore there are no LVL's in place to drill into, but blocking can be added across the trusses. It is bricked on the outside.

I found something like this: https://deciron.com/cubist-sty...

Architectural Rendering:

What I got:

Hi Leland.

Pay $300+- and hire a local architect (You may also need a structural engineer- also pretty reasonable) to come out and consult. No need to struggle with this or delay it any longer. Get great on-point advice from a local expert, pretty cheap, considering.

This looks like a fun project that you can transform into something special.

Good luck!

Realty One Group Mountain Desert Logo

User Stats

Votes
Leland S.
  • Developer
  • LA, Nashville TN
Votes |
  • Developer
  • LA, Nashville TN
Replied Jan 30 2022, 12:42
Originally posted by @Peter Tverdov:

WTH! Why did he change it like that without saying anything to you? 

The GC had a metal worker design some kind of bracket that would pop through the brick to attach C-Channels. However, they never had any engineer or architect spec out a design. So the metal worker refused to install them leaving me with a bunch of brackets I don't know what to do with. Since it was clear this GC was not progressing, I fired them. Now I'm very late in the game and need to decide what's worth waiting to do. 

User Stats

Votes
Leland S.
  • Developer
  • LA, Nashville TN
Votes |
  • Developer
  • LA, Nashville TN
Replied Jan 30 2022, 22:08

@Chad McMahan - I've already dropped $3000 on two engineers just to tell me a lot of nothing... I suppose I need to look for something different.

User Stats

Votes
Stacey Patten
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • San Francisco, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • San Francisco, CA
Replied Jan 30 2022, 22:39

Another option to consider would be to adding stacked balconies, which are held up by pillars and typically require minimal load implications on the building.  This is likely a more cost effective option anyways.