Question about impact fees and when they're due on a building project with 2 phases.

Question about impact fees and when they're due on a building project with 2 phases.

San Diego, CA · Member since 2016 · 58 posts · 2 votes

I plan to raze a house I own in SD county and build a quadplex on this one parcel.  I've discussed with the county phasing the buildout in 2 steps, building 2 units at a time.  After those 2 are occupied with tenants I'd proceed to build the other 2.  

My question pertains to impact fees.  I understand they are due when the building permits are pulled.  I can't get a straight answer from the county.

Does each unit have its own building permit that would be pulled?

If so does this mean I would pay the impact fees on 2 separate occasions when each pair of building permits are pulled (even though all 4 units are on one parcel) or do I have to pay for all 4 at once?  Thanks in advance.

0Reply
36 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Developer · San Antonio · Member since 2016 · 157 posts · 85 votes
    1y

    I would think a quadplex would have 1 building permit. But to phase the project you really are needing separate Certificate of Occupancy's.  

    But typically impact fees are related to water & wastewater services, or a traffic impact fee.  Do you have 1-master water meter or do you have 4 separate meters?  If it is 1 water meter, that would be logical you need to pay the full impact fee so water can be tapped. If each unit has their own, I can see them allowing it to be paid with how you phase the construction. 

    I would try discussing with someone else at the county or trying again. It seems like it should be a fairly straightforward answer. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.