Advice required, Should I Pray or Prey, looking to broaden my thoughts.

Advice required, Should I Pray or Prey, looking to broaden my thoughts.

Investor · Holyoke, MA · Member since 2013 · 5 posts · 5 votes

Nutshell:

I purchased raw land and have been constructing a property in the surf capital of Puerto Rico for 2 years (1yr. Prep and 1 yr. Building) and funding everything 100 percent including all of my time, resources, and money. (Literally no help not even labor.)

This was a "I need a challenge and change" kind of moment...

Happy to say, The "main" house is built and approved permits have been granted. 

Issue:

My funds are running low and I haven't had any income coming in for close to 2years. 

My vision of a "detached multiple structure building" is at a stand still.

Before I tank I am exploring voids in the market to maybe start up a construction or remodeling business, and also considering networking with local investors to explore ways to try to gain capital in a pretty saturated real estate market. 

The Goal:

Find a creative way to use the equity I have built to continue the venture, and keep developing, (but how with zero income last 2yrs)

Invest in the area by providing a service and get involved in the local real estate market.

Ultimately, to find a cash partner that I can build a strong relationship with, and keep developing properties for Sale, STR, LTR, etc...

FINAL THOUGHTS:

Although my approach at all of this went against my knowlege, I did it for me, this was a moment in life where I needed to prove that i could go beyond familiarity and comforts and still manage to succesfully learn, build, and stay interested. Crazy, I know, but future regrets and wonder were not an option for me.

The easy exit strategy here is to sell and double maybe triple my investment, check off the list, and go back to my comforts...but the beauty is I kind of want this now, I like the idea of expanding all that I've learned and turning it into something tangible.

On that note, BiggerPockets is a amazing community that has helped me so much in the all of the years that I've been investing, and I appreciate every single one of you that takes the time to help others and share their experiences and opinions you have all of my respect.

Josh 

0Reply
29 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Josue Lopez:

    Nutshell:

    I purchased raw land and have been constructing a property in the surf capital of Puerto Rico for 2 years (1yr. Prep and 1 yr. Building) and funding everything 100 percent including all of my time, resources, and money. (Literally no help not even labor.)

    This was a "I need a challenge and change" kind of moment...

    Happy to say, The "main" house is built and approved permits have been granted. 

    Issue:

    My funds are running low and I haven't had any income coming in for close to 2years. 

    My vision of a "detached multiple structure building" is at a stand still.

    Before I tank I am exploring voids in the market to maybe start up a construction or remodeling business, and also considering networking with local investors to explore ways to try to gain capital in a pretty saturated real estate market. 

    The Goal:

    Find a creative way to use the equity I have built to continue the venture, and keep developing, (but how with zero income last 2yrs)

    Invest in the area by providing a service and get involved in the local real estate market.

    Ultimately, to find a cash partner that I can build a strong relationship with, and keep developing properties for Sale, STR, LTR, etc...

    FINAL THOUGHTS:

    Although my approach at all of this went against my knowlege, I did it for me, this was a moment in life where I needed to prove that i could go beyond familiarity and comforts and still manage to succesfully learn, build, and stay interested. Crazy, I know, but future regrets and wonder were not an option for me.

    The easy exit strategy here is to sell and double maybe triple my investment, check off the list, and go back to my comforts...but the beauty is I kind of want this now, I like the idea of expanding all that I've learned and turning it into something tangible.

    On that note, BiggerPockets is a amazing community that has helped me so much in the all of the years that I've been investing, and I appreciate every single one of you that takes the time to help others and share their experiences and opinions you have all of my respect.

    Josh 


     WHat I would consider is bringing on  a business partner to finish that project. If it does not work out or you cannot find one, as you mention you can sell the property and make some money and move on. You have options, the first is what I would consider, especially if you have friends or family who like real estate as well.

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Developer · Member since 2010 · 188 posts · 104 votes
    1y

    Josh, it sounds like youre on the other side of the island from me (is it Rincon?)  I'm in San Juan.  We have an investor network and meetings twice a month in Puerto Rico.  Maybe you will find some ideas at one of the meetings or thru the whatsapp group.  Feel free to reach out to me directly.

  • Aaron T.Pro Member
    Developer · Aguada, PR · Member since 2014 · 927 posts · 279 votes
    1y

    unfortunately everything in Puerto Rico moves at a sloths pace. At times, its good to going back to steady earned income to get that capital back in. if not, then like Chris says above, find a partner to go into the deal with you until complete.

    Where you at on the island? can you share pics of your journey. would love to see what you have going on.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.