Cost Per Square Foot for New Construction in Atlanta and Builder Suggestions

Cost Per Square Foot for New Construction in Atlanta and Builder Suggestions

Jonesboro, GA · Member since 2015 · 2 posts · 1 vote

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am considering building in Atlanta, and I need to figure out the cost per square foot to build a house. I am also wondering if anyone has suggestions for builders in the Fulton county area.

I am purchasing the lot separately, so I only need construction. I have had houses built in the past, and I know that things like the finishes that you select can influence the price per square foot, so I just need a general idea.

1Reply
57 views

Most Popular Reply

J ScottPro Member
Moderator
Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
11y

We are building mid-grade houses in-town for about $61-63/sf, but that is acting as our own GCs and with contractors who have been with us for a long time.

I don't know any local builders I can recommend (perhaps talk to @Aaron McGinnis), but I would expect to pay somewhere in the $80-120/sf for a typical mid-grade house if you hired it all out.

See this reply in the discussion

18 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    11y

    We are building mid-grade houses in-town for about $61-63/sf, but that is acting as our own GCs and with contractors who have been with us for a long time.

    I don't know any local builders I can recommend (perhaps talk to @Aaron McGinnis), but I would expect to pay somewhere in the $80-120/sf for a typical mid-grade house if you hired it all out.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    11y

    @J Scott 

      I still cannot get over how cheap houses can be built in Atlanta proper.

    Its amazing  !!!  nice market right now for that 200k an under brand new !!

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:

    @J Scott 

      I still cannot get over how cheap houses can be built in Atlanta proper.

    Its amazing  !!!  nice market right now for that 200k an under brand new !!

    Here are the gory details of the first one we built...others have been in the same range, though we're doing a bunch more luxury stuff now, so the costs there are obviously higher:

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/522/topics/900...

  • Jonesboro, GA · Member since 2015 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    11y

    Thank you J. Scott. That was exactly the information I needed. I built a house in Louisiana for only $102 per square foot and it has outrageous finishes. To be close to that in a major city like Atlanta is nice.

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Greg Wynn:

    Thank you J. Scott. That was exactly the information I needed. I built a house in Louisiana for only $102 per square foot and it has outrageous finishes. To be close to that in a major city like Atlanta is nice.

     Take a look at this eBook BiggerPockets and I put out last year:

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/files/user/biggerpo/f...

  • Contractor · Carolina Beach, NC · Member since 2014 · 157 posts · 89 votes
    11y

    I am currently building on the coast of NC and my hard costs (including permits and fees) are estimated at $90-$100 per ft. This is decent finishes, metal roof, granite, wood, custom tile shower with multiple heads, upgraded insulation, 16SEER HVAC (only needed 13SEER) etc... I have built in the mid $60's as well, but it was low grade finishes, the bare minimums. 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Sugar Land, TX · Member since 2015 · 142 posts · 64 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @J Scott:

    We are building mid-grade houses in-town for about $61-63/sf, but that is acting as our own GCs and with contractors who have been with us for a long time.

    I don't know any local builders I can recommend (perhaps talk to @Aaron McGinnis), but I would expect to pay somewhere in the $80-120/sf for a typical mid-grade house if you hired it all out.

     I LOVE Atlanta it's real estate market reminds me SO MUCH of Houston's (much prettier though) - those are great numbers Jason!

  • Highland, MD · Member since 2015 · 109 posts · 52 votes
    11y

    I hate this question!  I would say you first have to define Square Feet. Are we talking about cost per heated square feet or are you talking about the actually square feet under roof including things like:

    Basement - finished or unfinished ?

    Garage - 1,2,3 cars ?

    Porch - Shingle or copper roof ? Painted or stained tongue and groove? Concrete or flagstone floor ?

    Square feet of two story rooms ?

    Then we need to consider things like:

    Brick, Stone, Siding, ?

    1, 2 or 3 Zones of heat/AC ?

     Electric or Gas on the second floor ? Gas will require a room with fire suppression included.

    Size and finish of the kitchen and appliances. 

    2, 3, 3-1/2, 4 bathrooms?

    Laundry on the first, second or in the basement?

    Rectangular windows or arched windows?

    8, 9 or 10 foot ceilings

    Solid or hollow core doors? 

    Asphalt or concrete driveway?

    Septic or public water?

  • Highland, MD · Member since 2015 · 109 posts · 52 votes
    11y

    I should have added a LOL after I hate this question!  

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Birmingham, MI · Member since 2014 · 179 posts · 54 votes
    11y

    RS Means construction cost data is a valuable online resource for this type of question. It is the gold standard for cost estimation from my observations.

    I tend to think about these costs within the framework of the Fannie/Freddie UAD standard used by appraisers to determine construction quality and fair market value. The ratings are from Q1 (highest) to Q6 (lowest). The Q1 quality rated construction is defined as follows:

    Dwellings with this quality rating are usually unique structures that are individually designed by an architect for a specified use. Such residences typically are constructed from detailed architectural plans and specifications and feature an exceptionally high level of workmanship and exceptionally high-grade materials throughout the interior and exterior of the structure. The design features exceptionally high-quality exterior refinements and ornamentation, and exceptionally high-quality interior refinements. The workmanship, materials, and finishes throughout the dwelling are exceptionally high quality.

    For this category in a custom home I would imagine you could spend on the order of $150/sq foot on a cost-plus basis with a general contractor (includes a 15-20% gross margin for GC). Mileage may vary based on geographical location.

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    RS Means construction cost data is a valuable online resource for this type of question. It is the gold standard for cost estimation from my observations.

    RS Means is retail pricing.  Meaning the cost you'd pay if you hired a turnkey builder or General Contractor.  While these numbers are great if someone else is paying (i.e., your insurance company), I don't imagine many investors could turn a reasonable profit building at retail pricing.  And if you're paying retail prices, you're likely leaving a good bit of money on the table (if there's any money on the table at all :-).

    In Atlanta, I imagine most investors are building at well below half of RS Means pricing...

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Birmingham, MI · Member since 2014 · 179 posts · 54 votes
    11y

    It sounds like you are reporting RS means is for consumption by the general public and includes a mark-up from wholesale to retail pricing. My understanding is it's used by a wide variety of construction professionals for cost engineering and estimation. Many of the tools include a separate line item for GC mark-up. Given this mark-up is included as a separate cost, it would seem reasonable to assume the material costs are just that-- costs, and not retail pricing including a margin for a contractor (reported separately).  

    The comments are useful if you have observed different costs in practice. My observations in my particular market is RS Means closely approximates actual costs to build; I am not a GC but work with an experienced custom home builder on a cost-plus basis. $150/sq foot may seem high for some on a custom home, but it's consistent with the quality of construction of homes built in my market. And there is still plenty of gross profit in a market that commands $300/sq foot for finished construction. The dirt is not cheap though! Thanks for the comments I will use this tool with a bit more skepticism. 

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    It sounds like you are reporting RS means is for consumption by the general public and includes a mark-up from wholesale to retail pricing. My understanding is it's used by a wide variety of construction professionals for cost engineering and estimation. Many of the tools include a separate line item for GC mark-up. Given this mark-up is included as a separate cost, it would seem reasonable to assume the material costs are just that-- costs, and not retail pricing including a margin for a contractor (reported separately).  

    The comments are useful if you have observed different costs in practice. My observations in my particular market is RS Means closely approximates actual costs to build; I am not a GC but work with an experienced custom home builder on a cost-plus basis. $150/sq foot may seem high for some on a custom home, but it's consistent with the quality of construction of homes built in my market. And there is still plenty of gross profit in a market that commands $300/sq foot for finished construction. The dirt is not cheap though! Thanks for the comments I will use this tool with a bit more skepticism. 

    I know many General Contractors who will use RS Means (or similar tools) to put together a bid when they are unsure of the cost for tasks related to specialty trades (electrical, plumbing, HVAC, siding, roofing, etc).  But, those are the costs if they were to hire out trades-people from the phone book -- meaning larger contracting organizations with a relatively large amount of overhead.

    If I were to hire the individual trades (which I typically do), I'm not going to hire the guys who have Yellow Pages ads, a fleet of trucks, customer service reps who answer the phone, etc.  They will typically be smaller outfits (sometimes just one person) who don't have a lot of overhead, are accustomed to working with investors and who charge as much as 50% below what the larger guys will charge.

    The reason they can afford to charge less is because, since they are working for investors, they typically won't bid jobs they don't get -- no tire kickers -- and they typically will get repeat business from the same investors.  So they have essentially no marketing overhead and no overhead in giving wasted bids.  They also don't have a management structure to support.  In my experience, they are often netting close to the same as the big guys, even though their prices are much lower.

    RS Means prices assume cost overhead built-in, and therefore the prices are more geared towards what these larger outfits would charge.

    To your direct point, I have definitely seen different costs in practice.  If I were to GC a spec build with these larger, turn-key contractors, I would likely pay about 20-40% more than I would building the same project with the subs I typically use.  That assumes similar quality, material finishes, and reliability.  

    I don't know too many experienced investors who would disagree with the above...

  • Real Estate Consultant · Alpharetta, GA · Member since 2014 · 661 posts · 400 votes
    11y

    @Greg Wynn

    I am currently building in ATL on a little more on the highend stuff. And as Jscott mentioned I am acting as the GC if you will. 

    We are spending around 90 to 95 a SQFT. 

    AC

  • Highland, MD · Member since 2015 · 109 posts · 52 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @J Scott:

    If I were to hire the individual trades (which I typically do), I'm not going to hire the guys who have Yellow Pages ads, a fleet of trucks, customer service reps who answer the phone, etc.  They will typically be smaller outfits (sometimes just one person) who don't have a lot of overhead, are accustomed to working with investors and who charge as much as 50% below what the larger guys will charge.


    The only problem with the above scenario... those single man or small contractors can be unreliable. If your entire project is budgeted on a price 50% lower then the average you have left yourself exposed.  It is a risk we all take and as long as you have calculated that risk, or have a backup contractor that will step in at the same price it is fine.  


  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Kelly R.:
    Originally posted by @J Scott:

    If I were to hire the individual trades (which I typically do), I'm not going to hire the guys who have Yellow Pages ads, a fleet of trucks, customer service reps who answer the phone, etc.  They will typically be smaller outfits (sometimes just one person) who don't have a lot of overhead, are accustomed to working with investors and who charge as much as 50% below what the larger guys will charge.

    The only problem with the above scenario... those single man or small contractors can be unreliable. If your entire project is budgeted on a price 50% lower then the average you have left yourself exposed.  It is a risk we all take and as long as you have calculated that risk, or have a backup contractor that will step in at the same price it is fine.  

    Absolutely.  That's why vetting contractors well is so important, and even if you vet them well, you need to manage them well.  If someone is not good at vetting and managing contractors, they'll probably find that the cost savings is not worth the additional headaches that come with it...

  • Contractor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @J Scott:
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    It sounds like you are reporting RS means is for consumption by the general public and includes a mark-up from wholesale to retail pricing. My understanding is it's used by a wide variety of construction professionals for cost engineering and estimation. Many of the tools include a separate line item for GC mark-up. Given this mark-up is included as a separate cost, it would seem reasonable to assume the material costs are just that-- costs, and not retail pricing including a margin for a contractor (reported separately).  

    The comments are useful if you have observed different costs in practice. My observations in my particular market is RS Means closely approximates actual costs to build; I am not a GC but work with an experienced custom home builder on a cost-plus basis. $150/sq foot may seem high for some on a custom home, but it's consistent with the quality of construction of homes built in my market. And there is still plenty of gross profit in a market that commands $300/sq foot for finished construction. The dirt is not cheap though! Thanks for the comments I will use this tool with a bit more skepticism. 

    I know many General Contractors who will use RS Means (or similar tools) to put together a bid when they are unsure of the cost for tasks related to specialty trades (electrical, plumbing, HVAC, siding, roofing, etc).  But, those are the costs if they were to hire out trades-people from the phone book -- meaning larger contracting organizations with a relatively large amount of overhead.

    If I were to hire the individual trades (which I typically do), I'm not going to hire the guys who have Yellow Pages ads, a fleet of trucks, customer service reps who answer the phone, etc.  They will typically be smaller outfits (sometimes just one person) who don't have a lot of overhead, are accustomed to working with investors and who charge as much as 50% below what the larger guys will charge.

    The reason they can afford to charge less is because, since they are working for investors, they typically won't bid jobs they don't get -- no tire kickers -- and they typically will get repeat business from the same investors.  So they have essentially no marketing overhead and no overhead in giving wasted bids.  They also don't have a management structure to support.  In my experience, they are often netting close to the same as the big guys, even though their prices are much lower.

    RS Means prices assume cost overhead built-in, and therefore the prices are more geared towards what these larger outfits would charge.

    To your direct point, I have definitely seen different costs in practice.  If I were to GC a spec build with these larger, turn-key contractors, I would likely pay about 20-40% more than I would building the same project with the subs I typically use.  That assumes similar quality, material finishes, and reliability.  

    I don't know too many experienced investors who would disagree with the above...

     I would support this, I use RS Means as a resource for my government bids, they are used by government contracted architects, they exclude indirect costs though (sales tax on materials, work comp, overhead, etc), that means, they are basing it on DIR labor rates and wholesale material prices. DIR labor rates or prevailing wage rates start from $45/hour in painting, $48/hour for laborers, $65/hour for electricians and $72/hour for electrician, $52/hour for carpenter. Now, these are the straight hourly rates, this is not including work comp, employer share taxes, etc. Imagine paying everyone at least $50/hour and max of $85/hour. Is it reliable? Yes. Does it make sense for residential? It's up to you, your business, your rules.

  • Contractor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @J Scott:

    We are building mid-grade houses in-town for about $61-63/sf, but that is acting as our own GCs and with contractors who have been with us for a long time.

    I don't know any local builders I can recommend (perhaps talk to @Aaron McGinnis), but I would expect to pay somewhere in the $80-120/sf for a typical mid-grade house if you hired it all out.

     This is amazing. I wish I could build at that price in SoCal.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.