Modular Multifamily Construction in Denver - Any experience?

Modular Multifamily Construction in Denver - Any experience?

Realtor · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes

Due to the difficulty in finding rehab deals here in Denver & lack of housing supply, I am looking at doing a small modular townhome development for resale. (6-8 units to start) They would be what I call shotgun townhomes or tall and narrow. 

Does anyone have experience in a modular project like this? I have just started to look for land in the metro area north to Fort Collins and have found 2 companies so far that will deliver these products to Denver. 

Any specific questions I should ask the modular building companies? 

0Reply
48 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · Leucadia, CA · Member since 2014 · 75 posts · 18 votes
11y

@

Bill S., I think you may be confusing HUD "MANUFACTURED HOMES" not IBC/UBC "MODULAR HOMES". 

They are usually built by the same factories, even on the same assembly lines and generally close to the same way. But Mods fall under local building regs and HUD Mfg a nationwde federal mandate. 

I wrote a series of posts on Active Rain a few months ago because so many folks were having difficulty decerning between the two. 

Here's the link. Please feel free to peruse all of them as I'm sure it will give you and other BP'ers a much clearer overview of "FACTORY BUILT HOUSING" overall.

Albeit I'm in California I've found that so many states use close tothe same industry standards so for reference these should help. However, as others have suggested I would certainly contact your local building jurisdictions as they do all have their own protocols. http://activerain.trulia.com/blogsview/4522099/the-difference-between-a-hud--manufactured-home----a--modular-home-

See this reply in the discussion

37 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · traveling · Member since 2016 · 16 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    So what came of this research?  I have a lot in Denver, I have just started researching current prefab, modular build on site options...... for single lot, but multi family, I am R3 zoned.

    Would love some current info from anyone....

  • Realtor · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    Here in Denver it didn't make sense as I was wary about the finish level of the units. I'm now actively looking for a modular company for an affordable housing development in Summit County.

  • Ori SklootPro Member
    Investor · Berkeley, CA · Member since 2016 · 242 posts · 304 votes
    9y

    @Matt M.  Hi Matt,

    This is an old post but I'm thinking about doing something similar in the Bay Area.  Do you have an update on how the process went?  Did you end up using the modular builder you were speaking with?

    Thanks,

    Ori

  • Realtor · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Ori Skloot:

    @Matt M.  Hi Matt,

    This is an old post but I'm thinking about doing something similar in the Bay Area.  Do you have an update on how the process went?  Did you end up using the modular builder you were speaking with?

    Thanks,

    Ori

     We are still working on infrastructure and the City/County. I don't have anything new to report.

  • Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2017 · 42 posts · 17 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Matt M.:

    Here in Denver it didn't make sense as I was wary about the finish level of the units. I'm now actively looking for a modular company for an affordable housing development in Summit County.

  • Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2017 · 42 posts · 17 votes
    9y

    Hi Matt, I'm looking into building a fourplex in englewood on an fha new build loan (would be owner occupied) and am curious about your comment on finish levels. Ours would be built as a mid range rental property so not for resale as we have a buy and hold strategy, but I obviously would want a good product. Can you share what exactly your concerns were? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

  • Realtor · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Catherine Peters:

    Hi Matt, I'm looking into building a fourplex in englewood on an fha new build loan (would be owner occupied) and am curious about your comment on finish levels. Ours would be built as a mid range rental property so not for resale as we have a buy and hold strategy, but I obviously would want a good product. Can you share what exactly your concerns were? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

     I think it's been almost 2 years now since I checked out the models. I just didn't feel the finish was on the same level as a stick built $600k+ townhome. It just felt too cheap.

  • Real Estate Agent · Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2016 · 246 posts · 142 votes
    8y

    @Matt M. where are you at with this project? I know an investor that is doing a 4plex and 3plex in Fort Collins, modular built to 2012 IRC standards. Another investor in central CO is doing a 210 unit project with the same builder and they have broken ground/have had the first unit delivered. We are looking at doing a similar project with the same mod builder and building in central CO.

    @Micki M., I would like to get the info for your friend who does smart units, would you mind sending that over?

  • Realtor · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Jennifer Slaughter:

    @Matt M. where are you at with this project? I know an investor that is doing a 4plex and 3plex in Fort Collins, modular built to 2012 IRC standards. Another investor in central CO is doing a 210 unit project with the same builder and they have broken ground/have had the first unit delivered. We are looking at doing a similar project with the same mod builder and building in central CO.

    @Micki M., I would like to get the info for your friend who does smart units, would you mind sending that over?

     Up in Breckenridge. We are prepping the site this winter. Haven't narrowed down a builder yet. Who did you go with?

  • Real Estate Agent · Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2016 · 246 posts · 142 votes
    8y

    @Matt M., my inlaws just did a stick built in Breck.  We are talking to Champion and from what I can tell there are a lot of upgrades/options for finishes. The investor here in FC has customized his a bit to meet the local demand.  We have been talking to the Chaffee County economic development director about rolling out a mod development there and then maybe doing more projects in Summit and other counties.  The mod development could be a solution to the critically low affordable housing options.

  • Realtor · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    Well...looks like someone is doing it on a medium scale. Will be interesting to follow.

    https://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/local-news/modular-living-coming-to-denvers-berkeley-neighborhood

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.