Real Estate Newbie Looking to Build Duplexes on Undeveloped Land

Real Estate Newbie Looking to Build Duplexes on Undeveloped Land

Investor · Desoto, TX · Member since 2015 · 10 posts · 1 vote

Hello All,

My name is Derrick and I purchased a duplex and approx. 1 acre of land in Desoto, Texas in June of 2015.  I purchased the land with the intentions of building additional duplexes in the future. I have already had a survey of the land completed to verify that it is zoned for duplex development and have a vision for how I would like to develop the land.

 I would now like to seek some professional guidance from an architect, residential construction contractor, etc. to first gauge whether or not my vision is possible, potential road-blocks, and alternative development ideas. From here I would like to have plans drawn up as well as the estimated financial cost for my vision or whatever development is determined to be realistic.

Any guidance or contacts that are provided will be helpful!

0Reply
21 views

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Developer · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 904 votes
    10y

    @Derrick Barker, I suggest partnering with someone who has done new development before. There are all sorts of things like EDU, utilities, etc that need investigation.

    Are these public or private utilities on the lot?

  • Investor · Desoto, TX · Member since 2015 · 10 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    @Percy N. Hi Percy, thanks for your reply. I checked the land appraisal and verified that all utilities are public and there are no easements on the property. 

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2016 · 23 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    Hey @Derrick Barker, I have a builder that is eager to break out on his own from building over 250 homes with 2 Home Building Companies.  I think he may give you a deal.  He's here in Austin, but used to be in Houston.  If you'd like, I can ask him if he can build up north a bit.

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 57 posts · 8 votes
    10y

    @Christopher Sayson I'm looking for a partner with experience with new builds in Houston, any suggestions? 

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2016 · 23 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    Sure thing @Broderick Campbell, my builder still does work in Houston.  What types of properties are you looking to build?  Let's connect.

  • Ronald RohdePro Member
    Attorney · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    Hi Derrick, I'm in Dallas. Experienced as real estate developer in Texas, I think you need a full service developer or you can sell the land as-is.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.