• Long Beach, CA
Votes |
Lifecycle of a CA Multi-Family Development Deal

Scott Choppin#4 Land & New Construction Contributor
  • Real Estate Developer
  • Long Beach, CA
Posted Mar 28 2017, 20:57

Hi Everyone

After reading through many excellent posts, include the "Diary of a New Construction Project" by @J Scott and @Joshua Dorkin, I thought I might add our voice here on BP. I am proposing to track the entire life cycle of an urban infill 4-unit rental housing development project in my hometown of Long Beach, CA. My proposal is to create weekly posts that cover a development project from beginning to end, and to give explanations about what and why we do things certain ways in this project, as well as, the logic behind our decisions. We will share site selection, initial underwriting/proforma analysis, design development, permitting, construction/build out, lease up, and (for this project) final sale. 

First, an introduction. My name is Scott Choppin. I have been married to my college sweetheart Rebecca for 17 year (together for 23) and we have three kids 15, 13, and 9 years old.

The purpose for this series of posts, is to walk everyone through the development process, demonstrating the details and life cycle of a development project. I have had the great benefit of many very savvy teachers, and would like to give the gift of passing on knowledge to others. As well, my purposes include building my own networks of help (tactical, transactional, and professional) to learn, raise more capital, and find more great projects to work on. This is, as you all know (or you do now), the lifeblood of all developers.

Finally, out of respect to my partners in this project, some details and proprietary information will stay private and so you may see redactions from time to time. As well, I will try to answer questions, but must limit cost in regards to time, so may be not be able to answer all questions. My goal, is simply to pass on knowledge, be an offer of help, and facilitate new folks in my network. So here goes....Sláinte.

Project Basics:

City: Long Beach, CA

Unit Count: 4 units, rental housing, to be sold upon completion and lease up.

Construction Type: Type V, 1 hour, with sprinklers. 

Type V (pronounced Type 5) is a reference for wood framed construction that most of you are familiar with, with "1 hour" referencing the fire rating between occupancy areas (say between a garage, or other units) where extra drywall is added in the walls between these areas (there's more to it than that, but keeping it simple). The other types are Type I, II, III, IIIa, etc. These would be various forms of concrete, steel, wood and steel mixed. "Sprinklers" means what is says, all units and garages will have residential grade sprinkler systems installed (residential sprinklers normally have plastic or PVC pipes versus steel that you see in commercial applications).

Construction style: 3-story on grade town home, direct access ground floor garage. 

"On grade" is the typical construction methodology that you are all used to where forms are built for the slab and poured onto the graded dirt pad, this is in contrast to "podium" where the cars park underneath in a concrete garage, and another type is high rise construction. "Town home" describes a type of unit, where the living space is on multiple floors, with the same tenant on all floors. Versus stacked flats, like typical apartment units, where different tenants live above and below each other. Garages are the bottom floor of the town home and are direct access to each unit.

Unit Type: Multiple bedrooms rented to families.

Some maps and then that'll be it for today. Next time, site selection including site photos and discussion about zoning. 

Loading replies...