How do I separate my suited houses heat and AC?

How do I separate my suited houses heat and AC?

Investor · Lethbridge, Alberta · Member since 2015 · 41 posts · 13 votes

Hello everyone, I just have a question regarding my suited property. Both of the units are on 1 duct plan and I want to know if it is at all viable to split that up and install another furnace and AC? 

I would be deal hunting for lightly used furnace and AC units so it wouldn't be much of an issue but the one thing I don't know about is how much of a nightmare it would be to install new ducts or manipulate current ducts and how much it would cost?

Thanks in advance!

0Reply
7 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Stevens Point, WI · Member since 2017 · 75 posts · 61 votes
    8y

    Short answer: yes, that sounds like a nightmare to accomplish. Granted it depends upon the way the property was constructed, but I'd wager they never did it with the intention of it being split out. It's likely going to be way more expensive to accomplish that than what you'd want. 

    Look into a RUBS (ratio utility billing system). it's a solution to this issue used by some managers. Effectively, you bill back an equal portion of the utility to each tenant. It's more office work on your side, since you have to be generating and mailing monthly bills; perhaps it can be contracted out. Depending on your PM set up, it may fit in nicely. Also, it costs almost nothing to implement; especially relative to the reconstruction of the existing HVAC system in the property!

  • Investor · Lethbridge, Alberta · Member since 2015 · 41 posts · 13 votes
    8y
    Ya... that's what I thought but I just wanted to make sure there wasn't some trick that someone knows about to get it done and done cheap. thank you for letting me know Johnny I appreciate it!
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.