Contract with GC for remodel- any advice or crazy stories?

Contract with GC for remodel- any advice or crazy stories?

Investor · Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2013 · 129 posts · 122 votes
I am about to embark on a reno project for my multi family in New Jersey and just wondering if any of you have advice on what to include in a contract with the gc. The reno will include a bathroom remodel, 2 kitchen remodels, 1 new bathroom and new flooring. Any crazy stories and “I wish I would haves” would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!
0Reply
17 views

Most Popular Reply

Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
8y

Generally a professional licensed general Contractor will provide you with their contract including a complete scope of work , timelines to completion .  

Check licenses 

Check insurance 

Check references 

DO NOT GO WITH THE LOWEST BID 

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    8y

    Generally a professional licensed general Contractor will provide you with their contract including a complete scope of work , timelines to completion .  

    Check licenses 

    Check insurance 

    Check references 

    DO NOT GO WITH THE LOWEST BID 

  • Investor · Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2013 · 129 posts · 122 votes
    8y
    Matthew Paul & Ray Schumacher thanks for for taking the time to respond. I’m glad to see responses from contractors on this question. I would love to get your perspective on this: 1. how can I ensure that the job will be completed within the agreed upon timeframe? Bonus for completing on time? Penalty for going beyond a certain timeframe? Which works best and what are reasonable $ amounts for these for a 80-100k project? 2. How can I know if the timeframe the contractor has promised is doable? 3. How can I verify that the contractor has enough of a crew available to handle the job? 4. How can I make sure the contractor makes my job a priority and doesn’t disappear into another job? 5. Is it problematic to hire out some of the work separately myself to remove workload from GC and get the project done faster? I will be bidding the job out in the next 2-3 weeks and I will be consulting an attorney about this also but I want to go into conversations with contractors with as much knowledge as possible so as much input I can get, the better. Thanks again.
  • Lorain, OH · Member since 2017 · 111 posts · 53 votes
    8y
    make sure you show up on job site every day. best to do morning and afternoon.. we made that mistake and trusted that the contractor was working only to find out they were working one day a week.
  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Mala S.:

    Matthew Paul & Ray Schumacher thanks for for taking the time to respond. I’m glad to see responses from contractors on this question.

    I would love to get your perspective on this:

    1. how can I ensure that the job will be completed within the agreed upon timeframe? Bonus for completing on time? Penalty for going beyond a certain timeframe? Which works best and what are reasonable $ amounts for these for a 80-100k project? 

    You do both . But remember there are delays outside of the contractor control , those dont count 


    2. How can I know if the timeframe the contractor has promised is doable? 

    It all depends on the contractor and his  subs 

    3. How can I verify that the contractor has enough of a crew available to handle the job? 

    You cant , most contractors dont have a crew , they use subs for each part . The contractor may only be 1 or 2 guys .

    4. How can I make sure the contractor makes my job a priority and doesn’t disappear into another job? 

    Thats all in your contract and timeframe 


    5. Is it problematic to hire out some of the work separately myself to remove workload from GC and get the project done faster?

    Yes it can be very problematic , if you hire out lets say the drywall hanging and finishing , and they take an extra 4 days over schedule , this will push the GC"s painter out .Now that painter will have to reschedule , but they are already promised to do a 2 week job in that time frame . So the GC has to get another painter who is 25% higher and only a week out . Now the rest of the trades are all rescheduled and you have added 3 weeks to the job , and more money due to rescheduling , and still have to pay the bonus to the GC because those delays were your fault , not his

    I will be bidding the job out in the next 2-3 weeks and I will be consulting an attorney about this also but I want to go into conversations with contractors with as much knowledge as possible so as much input I can get, the better.

    Thanks again.

  • Investor · River City, Manitoba · Member since 2017 · 162 posts · 193 votes
    8y

    The contract and payment structure should be heavily loaded towards the back end after completion of the job. Some do require some money upfront, they say it's for materials, but in all honesty I usually ask for around 10% up front just to make sure that after I have done some work they don't say something like "we've changed our minds" Though I'm more like your "handyman" and certainly I don't do big jobs like a GC.

    With respect to making sure they're reliable. Ask them what job they're working on right now and the past 2-4 jobs they have done. Make sure the time lines add up and then go see the GC's previous work. Ask the customers if they had a good experience and would recommend the GC.

    In my opinion you can get a job done well, cheap or fast, at tops 2 out of 3... of those options... Of course you don't want a GC dragging their heels or walking away from a job but you also don't want them to omit doing work just because it will cause extra time. Show up frequently and often to the job site. Look at the progress but also take note if they mention any other issues that come up.

    Sounds to me from what you have stated that this is a time sensitive issue... so tell that to your GC and make them understand that's a priority. Unfortunately with some jobs it doesn't matter how many people you have working the job it just will take time so make sure you have realistic expectations.

  • Walnut Creek, CA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    Start small.... test drive the contractor with the remodel, then the new bathroom, then the kitchens. DO NOT test drive them all at once w/ everything.

    Also... money is the great motivator and it's why people show up at work/finish their work. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.