Extensive Rehab in East Lansing Michiagn

Extensive Rehab in East Lansing Michiagn

Flipper/Rehabber · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 25 posts · 16 votes

Hello Everyone. So I just went under contract on my first property that I bought purely from an investing standpoint. I've done a couple live in flips over the years, but the scope of work on this will be more than I've ever done before. I grew up outside of Lansing, Michigan in Holt. I live four hours away in Columbus, but plan on coming up 3-4 days a week at a time. I'm going to do a lot of the work myself, with the help of people I know in the area. I plan on documenting the whole rehab process from my (beginner rehabber) perspective. Any insight, suggestions, or personal experiences would be greatly appreciated. 

THE HOUSE

The house is in East Lansing Michigan. It's on a large lot in a great neighborhood. The house is within 4-6 blocks of MSU campus, East Lansing High School, and McDonald Middle School. It's two bedrooms, two bathrooms, 1150 square foot, old farmhouse. There's the potential to add a bedroom upstairs by adding a wall in a room that you walk through to get to one of the bedrooms. I could also finish a room in the basement and get a possible 4th bedroom. 

The house was built in 1900, and moved to it's current location in 1960. The house belonged to my grandmother. She maintained the house well, but never did any renovations in the 50 years she owned the house. I had the home professionally inspected and nothing major came up. 

FINANCIAL

I bought the house for 75k all cost included. A friend who's been flipping house's in the area for the last 7 years told me that if he had bought the home he would put 35k into rehab, and resell it for 200k. I feel like the 200k estimate might be high, but the home does have a lot of extra things going on for it with its location, large lot, two car detached garage, and boarding a acre lot that will never be built on. It is also a rare find for this neighborhood in that it is able to be turned into a rental, which is becoming a rarity in East Lansing. The tax assessment right now is for 130k which comes out to about 3300 a year in taxes. I bought the property outright. I have not yet gotten an insurance quote but plan to do that soon. My estimates are that I could rent the house with minimal rehab for 1100-1200 as is, and maybe 1400-1600 rehabbed nicely as a four bedroom. I'm going to be talking with some property managers/real estate professionals in the area to find out if I'm right or not. 

MY PLAN

I'm in the process of trying to build a rental portfolio, and hope that this will be a great first addition. I'd like to buy and hold this property for years to come. If the numbers don't work right, I'm not opposed to flipping it, but don't plan on it as of now. My big project is cleaning out the house, and coming up with a scope of work for the rehab. I have 15 yard dumpster being delivered this weekend and I'm starting the work on Sunday. I'm going to take photos and will post them on here Sunday evening.  

If there's anyone in the Lansing area who'd like to connect while I'm in town just let me know

3Reply
15 views

Most Popular Reply

East Lansing, MI · Member since 2015 · 32 posts · 10 votes
8y

Hi Sean! Great to meet a fellow Michigan man! My biz partner and I are working out of the Lansing area. We have started out with the wholesaling strategy and want to move into Buy and Hold as soon as we can! I live in Haslett myself. That area you found the house in is awesome. All of my children attended McDonald middle school and East Lansing High! I am glad to see you're doing business in the area! 

We'd love to meet you, shake your hand and even take you for a coffee next time you're in town! Just inbox me here and I can get you my info. 

Blessings,

Nathan

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • East Lansing, MI · Member since 2015 · 32 posts · 10 votes
    8y

    Hi Sean! Great to meet a fellow Michigan man! My biz partner and I are working out of the Lansing area. We have started out with the wholesaling strategy and want to move into Buy and Hold as soon as we can! I live in Haslett myself. That area you found the house in is awesome. All of my children attended McDonald middle school and East Lansing High! I am glad to see you're doing business in the area! 

    We'd love to meet you, shake your hand and even take you for a coffee next time you're in town! Just inbox me here and I can get you my info. 

    Blessings,

    Nathan

  • Rental Property Investor · East Lansing, Michigan (MI) · Member since 2014 · 19 posts · 8 votes
    8y
    Love it! I’m on EL, so let me know if you’d like any help or recommendations.
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 25 posts · 16 votes
    8y

    Thanks for the offers guys! I'll definitely take you both up on them.

  • Rental Property Investor · Lansing, MI · Member since 2017 · 48 posts · 22 votes
    8y

    Hey Sean, 

    I am also in the Lansing area, I went to MSU for far too long and stuck around the area. Did the house come with a rental license? If it didn't you will have a hard time getting one from the city. East Lansing has strict rules about the number of rental houses in the city, being that you bought the house for 75k I assume that it doesn't have such things. I would say that the 200k estimate is high. IMO houses in that neighborhood the number of bedrooms is not a huge deal, I would stick with 3 in that size of a house. Don't make a weird room that you have to access through another bedroom. Just my thoughts, best of luck with the house and anytime you would want to meet up I am happy to talk RE. 

    Best

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 25 posts · 16 votes
    8y

    Thanks @Alex Corrion. The house did not come with a rental license, but it happens to be a half a block out of the "no new rental area". I know that the neighborhood could change and impose that rule anytime, but as of now it is eligible to become a rental, and I believe that adds to its value. The house already has a weird walk through bedroom thats not actually counted as a bedroom. My thought is add a wall and eliminate the weird walk through room while creating the third bedroom.

  • Real Estate Broker · MI · Member since 2014 · 594 posts · 183 votes
    8y
    Sean Grabow I would advise using the income approach. Estimate the value of a property by taking the net operating income of the rent collected and dividing it by the capitalization rate. Other valuations methods are the cost approach and the comparison approach. Just google it but make sure you put real estate investments in your search. The other option is to get a BPO or get an appraisal. Best of luck!
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.