Building low income housing using Shipping Containers ?

Building low income housing using Shipping Containers ?

Maspeth, NY · Member since 2013 · 58 posts · 16 votes

I am looking to build a 5-15 unit multifamily complex using shipping containers which are fully built from China.

After having read dozens of articles about building multifamily using shipping containers I am convinced this can work. Throughout the world Japan , Germany, Canada , South Africa,China and several other countries use  shipping containers for constructuon projects. This method is used because it offers reduced costs in building, reduces the time of construction 30-40% , is stackable, fireproof, and safe . This building method is common throughout the world which sparked my interest .. Japan is the world leader in prefab contruction  where 15% of all new construction projects are made using prefab  construction methods.

The project I am seeking to develop would include buying two 40 ft extra high shipping containers From China and have them shipped to Tampa Florida. . 

 The process would include: having a Chinese factory build the shipping containers in the Guangdong Provice (largest manufacturing area/ construction factories in China) ,shipping them to Tampa,setting them on a concrete slab, cutting out the center walls, welding/ connecting the container, and finishing the center part with tiles.

. Prior to doing this I would have to connect the sewer,water electric , have the blue prints , permits and other other aspects of the construction in place . 

The largest monetary savings would be buying this containers prefabbed from China and this would significantly reduce all construction costs. The average build costs in Tampa are 110 sq ft however this can be done for under $55 sq ft

After analyzing the construction costs in building  a 640 sq ft apartment using two 40 ft containers my calculations totaled $24,000/unit  (this price includes the shipping costs from port to construction site).

This 640 sq ft unit would be built to Tampa housing codes which would not impact the approval of the unit.  When calculating the cost per buildable  square foot the costs are : 

$37.50 /sq. Ft however this does not include the roof. 

After looking over all costs in this development I came up with the number of $45,000 per unit which includes land, permits , parking lot, roof,GC costs , Architectural costs etc.

This unit would be a small 2 bedroom 1 bath and it would be rented to a section 8 tenant for $945 where the tenant would pay for water & electric.

When calculating the return on investment I came up with a an ROI of 15%

$45,000 total build cost /unit 

Gross yearly rent ($945 x 12 = $11,340)

-40 % expense 

Income $6,804

6,804/ 45,000. = 15.1% ROI

These are not accurate calculations but I believe they are close based upon my research. 

2Reply
421 views

Most Popular Reply

Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
8y

Here is my long time collougue and airplane partners  new shipping container company

https://www.relevantbuildings.com/   here in Oregon quite a bit more complicated than just buy the containers and go.. but he is up and running now.

his target is the rural market were you can lock and leave.. rural cabins can be targets for thieves he also owns a big piece of dirt in PDX were he is thinking to create a village of these 100 plus and run it like a MHP..

 
See this reply in the discussion

65 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y

    @Christian Podedworny the first thing you'd need to do is discuss it with the planning and building departments where you hope to construct these. Most modular construction has already been preapproved with their methods of manufacturing and materials so that they're able to go into most states, but since you're creating a new product for housing, I'm sure you'd need to get the process, materials, etc. approved first. 

    I've seen projects on HGTV of MFR using shipping containers, and they had a great layout and look. As mentioned above, the whole concept of shipping containers is reusing the excess containerst that are already here.

    We will all be interested to see what you do. Please be sure to start a thread on the Construction Diaries forums and let us follow along. Good luck! 

  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y

    I'm sure they'd require fire sprinklers. However; the heat of the fire wouldn't be the biggest issue, but smoke. As with every other type of construction they would need to meet code for window height, ingress/egress, etc. and therefore; would not be any more dangerous than other construction methods. I know most of the older mobiles with all the paneling, wood framing, etc. go up in flames very quickly, but building standards have changed considerably since then with sheetrock walls, etc. With shipping containers I don't see where there would be any more of a fire hazard. 

    The big question is, how are they in areas where it's blazing HOT? Such as Arizona, Texas, Redding, CA, etc.? They definitely would need some type of exterior cladding that is heat resistant. 

  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y
  • Investor · Bushnell, FL · Member since 2016 · 456 posts · 224 votes
    8y

    One thought came to mind when asked about window installation and other materials getting installed in China before shipping them .. I would think you could source all that material there and whatever you couldn't install or need to keep uncovered for inspection could be placed and secured in the container itself and then things like the windows could be later installed on site but with the materials you get from China .. another person commented on sending a rep to the factory and basically sleep there to make sure they are doing what they promised .. that is something you certainly will find you will have to consider.. as for building new ones from scratch .. I thought the Appel to shioping containers were the lower cost in acquiring them after one time use .. sort of recycling them into viable housing .. have you looked into grants of this type ..or maybe even rehabilitation type grants that may provide money that could offset your labor cost here .. if your recycling and providing low cost housing along with providing local jobs .. I have heard of city or state programs for those types of projects .. not necessarily for container home but you never know until you ask .. Just a idea .. as for myself , I have researched building a SFH out of used containers that I can source right here in Fl .. a couple things that I found stopped me from going forward right away on one that I had planned to flip .

    This is just what I was told about a year ago 

    1. Because they are relatively new , a lot of banks won’t loan money on them because appraisal’s can prove difficult for true value and they are not sure about depreciation rates like mobile homes tend to depreciate over time .. 

    2. The city I was interested in building it seemed put off when I asked about restrictions .. they didn’t know enough about them to decide on the spot ..and I was told permitting might be a problem because again .. inspectors are not familiar with them enough to not run into problems signing off on some things like load limits ( i was looking to maybe build at least a two story with 8 containers total of close to 3200sqft woth two of the upper ones canter-leaving over the parking area ) the property I was looking at aquiring for this project was right across the street from a $1.1 mil 3800Sqft new house on the lake .  And the surrounding homes were anywhere from $200-280 a sqft .. I had a custom builder quoting me $110 a sqft for one of his CBS homes to drywall and I figured with a container home I could have built it complete for that .. plus the $100k for the land, which would have put the project at around $450k completed .. so if it could sell at even $200 a sqft , we ( my investment partner and I ) could gross around $200k which is really lowballing it because in reality if we had built it , then it should have sold at the top of the scale , closer to $300 a sqft seeing how it would be the only and first one in that area )  

    Which is another reason we decide not to .. or I should say he decided not to fund it! 

    Because it would have been the only and first one .. coupled with the first two reasons .. our thought process was that it would have to se as a all cash or a large cash deal and that would limit our field of potential buyers .. 

    My hope is that in the not to distance future I can build one for myself and my wife by using the equity we already have in our exsisting home ( around $250k equity ) and that way we could have a nice beautiful cool place to live and use it as a stepping stone to possibly building more in the future as investments .. whether they are SFH's or MFH ..

    I certainly will follow this thread .. And I’m excited to read any updates you or any other posts .. 

    I wish you the very best .. 

    God Speed .. 

  • Investor · Willow Spring, NC · Member since 2009 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    Lots of good posts and good feedback. Great topic. 

    As presented, the concept is to import modular housing as a containerized and complete product, with the expectation that cost savings in pre-construction will improve margins and help justify the project. The manufacturing would be done off-shore in a standard container footprint that could be drop shipped and then installed on an improved lot with an appropriate foundation and site finished.

    My first comment: There is nothing wrong with the concept. The current modular housing deployment process is to buy modular housing as a complete product, have it delivered and set-up on an improved lot with an appropriate foundation.

    My second comment: The biggest challenges in this concept/project consists of a minimum of: 1) finding a supplier in the Prefabricated Home Manufacturing industry, 2) establishing financing in this space, 3) meeting development and building standards from your local jurisdiction authority. All three are significant. Note I only listed the biggest challenges and not other common development tasks most people consider relevant and significant, like site selection, profitability, 'bankability', marketing and sales... and additional tasks like importing, following the , clearing customs, etc.

    Karen nailed it: "...the first thing you'd need to do is discuss it with the planning and building departments where you hope to construct these. Most modular construction has already been preapproved with their methods of manufacturing and materials so that they're able to go into most states, but since you're creating a new product for housing, I'm sure you'd need to get the process, materials, etc. approved first."

    My Observations:
    I have not done market research to know much about the Prefabricated Home Manufacturing industry. How many companies are there and where are they? There are existing companies in China (e.g. ) that provide steel container SFR, Apartments, hotels, etc. already, so seems like an analysis of these existing companies is in order.

    I'm not convinced the out-sourcing economics work. The Table below () shows the US construction cost breakdown from the (National Association of Home Builders) Economics and Housing Policy Group. I think some savings in framing, interior finishes, and system rough-ins will be largely offset by logistical costs, import duties, (amortized) engineering and development costs, and permitting. Cavco Industries, Inc., the second largest producer of manufactured homes in the United States, has a gross margin of 20.4% with 100% US labor and factories. To me, that's the bar. You need to offer significant price advantages if you plan to build this concept into a business. The Cavco market is household incomes under $60,000 so young people and people over 55, per their 10-K. The Section-8 market is similar but different.

    My Summary:

    My call to action would be for you to prototype your first containerized product, with discovery of anticipated cost reductions over existing construction practices as a goal. In the process you may discover if there is a reason this segment of the Prefabricated Home Manufacturing industry hasn't migrated to this type product.

    The big difference, of course, is you offer a new twist to the Prefabricated Home Manufacturing industry. This industry, having shrunk and consolidated with lots of players exiting in the last decade, is ripe for a radical market disruption: "Since mid-1999, the manufactured housing industry has experienced a prolonged and significant downturn...." (from Pg. 3, Cavco Industries )

    I see the market for higher end products, based on niche (if not somewhat misguided) sustainability and 'green' marketing efforts. I'm not yet convinced that this product 'works' in the (subsidized) affordable housing market. 

  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y

    The whole appeal of the shipping container concept was to use the excess shipping containers that are already here, not import new ones. Basically you're going to be paying a whole lot of money for 4 walls, that can easily be built on site, and spending a lot of time trying to get them through the approval process to be able to be used in the U.S. They definitely won't be affordable by the time all is said and done. Why try to reinvent the wheel when there are already shipping containers here? 

    As to the pre fab homes someone was asking about, the devil is in the verbage. Search Modular Homes, Prefab Homes, Fold up homes, etc. Though there are some that are very spendy on the fold ups, etc. there are plenty of Modular home manufacturers that build everything from SFR, MFR, Hotels, Dorms, Retail, etc. It's not a new concept.

  • Maspeth, NY · Member since 2013 · 58 posts · 16 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Tasha Pams:

    I was just thinking about this idea last night and if there was a possibility of builing a community or sfr here in Alabama. There is so much vacant land here and tax property available. Thinking "outside the box" or maybe inside lol! Habitat for Humanity seems to think it' a good idea. Go For It!! Here's a link 

    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&u...

     Tasha that is an excellent idea. The low cost of construction makes this approach a viable solution. Most people do not see this as an alternative solution because they are not familiar of what goes into building a home. When building with stick frame you are susceptible to termites and there always is the chance that they property can burn down but with container homes/apartments that is not the case. My GC told me this is method is quicker, less expensive and the structure is much stronger.

  • Maspeth, NY · Member since 2013 · 58 posts · 16 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Al Pekerman:

    @christian
    Very intrested in the project! I am NYC Invester that primarily invests in the Philadelphia area. I own plenty of vacant land to build on. I myself looked into this at one point but don’t have the time or right resources to move on. Would be happy to talk and see what we can come up with. There is a great nich market if you can truly have the cost of 45k all in. Most house in the area are 650-1200sqft this is a perfect market. Let’s connect?

     HI Al,

    Sure

  • Maspeth, NY · Member since 2013 · 58 posts · 16 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Chris Skinner:

    $5,000 per shipping container sounds about right not including the build out. Sounds like you have done a lot of research however what would the cost be to assemble to units? Have you contacted a local contractor for advise?

    My contractor has build a 20 unit complex in Saint Petersburg Florida using block build construction for $85/ft.

    Now the build with shipping containers will be significantly less (possibly $55- 60 sq/ft) I will be meeting with my General Contractor In June to get an exact number based upon what I'm looking to build. 

  • Maspeth, NY · Member since 2013 · 58 posts · 16 votes
    8y

    Update.

      I have not been on Biggerpockets for some time now due to the amount of work I have been putting towards this project. I have located a 2 acre parcel in Tampa and I have built many relationships with local Brokers, Bankers, General Contractors and Real estate agents. These past 2 months have been educational and eye opening. The relationships one builds with professionals gives you the confidence to move forward and keep going. I had many questions to ask,many meetings to go to and several  emails to send however it was well worth it . In this type of project there is no room for mistakes because the project is multi faceted and it's imperative to align all parties especially the local G.C and the modular container builder.

         Finding the vacant parcel was not difficult but finding the parcel which was in line with this project was. At this time I am negotiating  owner financing with the seller along with getting  preliminary approval from the zoning/planned development department for this project. If all goes well I be will closing on the lot in August 

           The original approach was to build 20 units however the land I am found can sustain 40 units ( 20 units per acre). . Since this will be the first project I will build in two phases. Phase one will include the first 16 units being built and then the remaining 24 units will follow. 

        Once the plans, rezoning and paperwork are carried out the initial phase of site clearing will begin and the horizontal construction will follow. This coming August I will be meeting with a company that has been building modular structures for the past 22 years and having them on my team will make the process stress free and smooth sailing. The shipping container/modular unit will measure 17' x 43' (731 sq. ft). This will be a medium sized 2 bedroom unit perfect for a small family. The modular builder will complete the first 16 units (total of 32 containers) in 2 months and then all units will be shipped to the port The port will load all 32 units on the container ship and the ship will arrive in Tampa  units within 6-7 weeks. Once the shipping container vessel docks in the port a local logistics company will be hired to deliver the containers to the job site where a crane will lift the containers and position them on the concrete slab. The container stacking and assembling process should take 2-3 days and then the connecting, welding and bolting will follow.

         I will provide more information soon and pictures will be added once we begin construction.

  • Rental Property Investor · Knoxville, TN · Member since 2011 · 701 posts · 531 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Christian Podedworny:

    Update.

      I have not been on Biggerpockets for some time now due to the amount of work I have been putting towards this project. I have located a 2 acre parcel in Tampa and I have built many relationships with local Brokers, Bankers, General Contractors and Real estate agents. These past 2 months have been educational and eye opening. The relationships one builds with professionals gives you the confidence to move forward and keep going. I had many questions to ask,many meetings to go to and several  emails to send however it was well worth it . In this type of project there is no room for mistakes because the project is multi faceted and it's imperative to align all parties especially the local G.C and the modular container builder.

         Finding the vacant parcel was not difficult but finding the parcel which was in line with this project was. At this time I am negotiating  owner financing with the seller along with getting  preliminary approval from the zoning/planned development department for this project. If all goes well I be will closing on the lot in August 

           The original approach was to build 20 units however the land I am found can sustain 40 units ( 20 units per acre). . Since this will be the first project I will build in two phases. Phase one will include the first 16 units being built and then the remaining 24 units will follow. 

        Once the plans, rezoning and paperwork are carried out the initial phase of site clearing will begin and the horizontal construction will follow. This coming August I will be meeting with a company that has been building modular structures for the past 22 years and having them on my team will make the process stress free and smooth sailing. The shipping container/modular unit will measure 17' x 43' (731 sq. ft). This will be a medium sized 2 bedroom unit perfect for a small family. The modular builder will complete the first 16 units (total of 32 containers) in 2 months and then all units will be shipped to the port The port will load all 32 units on the container ship and the ship will arrive in Tampa  units within 6-7 weeks. Once the shipping container vessel docks in the port a local logistics company will be hired to deliver the containers to the job site where a crane will lift the containers and position them on the concrete slab. The container stacking and assembling process should take 2-3 days and then the connecting, welding and bolting will follow.

         I will provide more information soon and pictures will be added once we begin construction.

    Keep us posted. Very intriguing project. 

  • Investor · Alexandria, VA · Member since 2013 · 8 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    Christian, Great work on a interesting project. I'm looking forward to following this thread as you get ready to break ground. How are you financing this project? Sounds like your hard work is starting to pay off. Good luck. 

  • FL · Member since 2018 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    Incredible! I would love to hear how this is going. Any updates?

  • Lititz, PA · Member since 2013 · 595 posts · 272 votes
    7y

    Would be interesting to see the cost comparison between conventional "stick framing" and container builds.

    Container builds still require framing for insulation, wiring, drywall, cutting out for window/door openings. 

    Perhaps the savings is in mass production.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.