What is the average PROFIT on a spec home sale?

What is the average PROFIT on a spec home sale?

Palmer, AK · Member since 2016 · 142 posts · 34 votes

Hi BP,

I'm a spec builder in Alaska. I've built 4 multi-families, 2 single families and am currently under construction on two more. All within two years. My question is if anyone knows the average PROFIT builders are making on your typical, cookie cutter, 3 bed, 2 bath, 1300 sq ft home?

0Reply
211 views

Most Popular Reply

Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
8y

we don't build that small in our market not profitable to do so.

but generally speaking 8 to 15% of gross sales price is what we try to NET NET NET>

anything above 15% is a huge homerun for us.

build cost are generally the same or close to the same for most of us.. its how you bought the dirt that will determine the profit.

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    8y

    we don't build that small in our market not profitable to do so.

    but generally speaking 8 to 15% of gross sales price is what we try to NET NET NET>

    anything above 15% is a huge homerun for us.

    build cost are generally the same or close to the same for most of us.. its how you bought the dirt that will determine the profit.

  • Palmer, AK · Member since 2016 · 142 posts · 34 votes
    8y

    Jay, whats your average profit if you dont mind me asking? I build all of mine out of cash, need to find a lender but no one does spec loans in Alaska.

  • Vandalia, MI · Member since 2018 · 569 posts · 264 votes
    8y

    Are you looking for a line of credit or a hard money loan? What do you need on average to build a house?

  • Palmer, AK · Member since 2016 · 142 posts · 34 votes
    8y

    Hey Michele,

    Average build price with land is 150-165

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Clarksville, MD · Member since 2014 · 85 posts · 66 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:

    we don't build that small in our market not profitable to do so.

    but generally speaking 8 to 15% of gross sales price is what we try to NET NET NET>

    anything above 15% is a huge homerun for us.

    build cost are generally the same or close to the same for most of us.. its how you bought the dirt that will determine the profit.

     15% seems low and I figure your profits are probably similar to others in the industry.  Is that a factor of this current market (i.e. did it used to be higher in the "good ole days"), or is that a historically normal number?

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Khaled Helmi:
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:

    we don't build that small in our market not profitable to do so.

    but generally speaking 8 to 15% of gross sales price is what we try to NET NET NET>

    anything above 15% is a huge homerun for us.

    build cost are generally the same or close to the same for most of us.. its how you bought the dirt that will determine the profit.

     15% seems low and I figure your profits are probably similar to others in the industry.  Is that a factor of this current market (i.e. did it used to be higher in the "good ole days"), or is that a historically normal number?

    sell 500k spec home and make 50 to 75k is pretty standard and we do about 30 a year .. so its about a 2 million a year net income or taxable income for us. 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Clarksville, MD · Member since 2014 · 85 posts · 66 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:
    Originally posted by @Khaled Helmi:
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:

    we don't build that small in our market not profitable to do so.

    but generally speaking 8 to 15% of gross sales price is what we try to NET NET NET>

    anything above 15% is a huge homerun for us.

    build cost are generally the same or close to the same for most of us.. its how you bought the dirt that will determine the profit.

     15% seems low and I figure your profits are probably similar to others in the industry.  Is that a factor of this current market (i.e. did it used to be higher in the "good ole days"), or is that a historically normal number?

    sell 500k spec home and make 50 to 75k is pretty standard and we do about 30 a year .. so its about a 2 million a year net income or taxable income for us. 

     Thanks @jayHinrichs - I was thinking this was more of a higher risk strategy that needed higher returns.  You guys are doing great by just churning them out and i'm sure that just like everything else in the industry, there are builders that aim for the big profits and less sales numbers (more unique high-end properties)

  • Specialist · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2014 · 81 posts · 2 votes
    8y
    Jay Hinrichs are you using debt to finance your new builds or is that 8-15% margin without any interest expense?
  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    Jay Hinrichs are you using debt to finance your new builds or is that 8-15% margin without any interest expense?

    include all costs of the project …. land vertical debt and sales commish.. we are blessed that we can borrow from our local banks.

    in some markets this is pretty tough frankly.. so I feel proud of that for sure. And all those years grooming my local community banker relationship are really paying off for us the last 5 years.. I started building coming out of the GFC were my bank was selling us lots and financing them they had foreclosed and since my relationship spans almost 25 years with the same banker it was I think a reward for being a loyal client.. plus they never lost a dime with me in the bad times LOL.. 9 out of 10 builders in our market had to reorg and gave the keys back to banks those folks are kind of relegated to HML.. our cost of capital is probably 1/2 of my competition so that helps with margins..

  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y

    @Jay Hinrichs I know you build in several different markets,  how many people do you have that are working for you to run that many projects? Do you act as developer and hire project managers, GC's, or ? That's a lot of projects in a year to keep track of with finding land, permitting, building, etc. 

  • Investor · Charleston , SC · Member since 2014 · 160 posts · 142 votes
    8y

    With no leverage I do between 20-25% COC. With leverage I am a little closer to 50-75% COC. I have a current project with comps coming in around 400% but that is an anomaly.

    My minimum cash return has to be above 100K for me to touch a deal. I play in the same sandbox as @Jay Hinrichs and really admire the work he does. I am also working to be more like Jay where I can do 30+ deals a year. But, right now I am in the dog years of starting my business so I have to be super super careful about the development projects I take on and I am wearing a tool belt more then I'd like to admit. 

    Take this all with a GIANT grain of salt. I own and operate a construction company alongside an investment fund and that gives me a crazy competitive advantage. I also moved my business and family to Charleston SC to go all in on RE Development and Charleston is probably one of the best markets in the county. 

  • Developer · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2019 · 33 posts · 27 votes
    5y

    In the spec home development space I’m building entry level 1,350-1,500 sq ft homes for about $200k (including land, interest/closing costs, build costs etc.) in Phoenix, I sell them for about $325k each. After commissions and such i net about $95k-$105k per home. Profit margins are identical to the new construction multifamily development I’m doing now, just with smaller sales price and smaller build price

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.