ROI for vinyl planking everywhere on a new duplex in Houston

ROI for vinyl planking everywhere on a new duplex in Houston

Rental Property Investor · Wiesbaden, Hesse · Member since 2016 · 85 posts · 32 votes

Good Morning! I am currently in the final part of a "new" building duplex in Houston. The first new build I have been involved with. With other SFH rehabs in other parts of the country I have had vinyl planking installed in the bedrooms whenever possible. I would like to do the same with this duplex and have no carpet. This will come at additional cost from what I was originally quoted. Builder states that the normal vinyl planking is throughout living areas except bedrooms and stairs for a cost of $5,884.19 for each side or $11,768.38 total. If I want vinyl planking throughout the entire house except for stairs it is $8,592.89 or $17,185.78 total, for the entire house each side is $9,519.51 or $19,039.02 total.

Total cost for entire duplex (both sides):

Normal regular install with carpet in the Bedroom: $11,768.38

Everything with Planking except stairs: $17,185.78 or $5,417.40 extra

Everything including stairs: $19,039.02 or $7,270.64 extra

The carpet installation for both sides is $2,632.48 for the Normal install.

For a long term buy and hold I am still leaning towards the planking of everything. Or do I consider this after several years of renting and then change out later once I build up CAPEX. I do not know the normal wear and tear time frame for carpeting in the bedrooms and stairs? 5 years or 10 years. Not sure but I a thinking that it may be cheaper to do it now than later.

But as this is my first new build, I would like to hear from some of you with more experience in this area and your thoughts.

I appreciate the feedback and have a great day!

V/r

Tim

0Reply
14 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · DFW, TX · Member since 2013 · 953 posts · 910 votes
    8y

    I put wear and tear on carpet at 5 years. For me it depends on the age and quality of the rental. Nicer A-B units I would do the vinyl everywhere. Older B-C units I start to lean more towards carpet especially on the stairs where it is harder to make the vinyl look good and takes more detailed work. It is so much cheaper and I know the tenants will wreck it wither way. The part of Texas I am in is known for foundation issues so carpet hides the unevenness better. No matter what though I only put carpet in bedrooms, hallways, or stairs (unless the foundation was just complete garbage). Everywhere else gets either vinyl or tile because they are higher traffic. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Wiesbaden, Hesse · Member since 2016 · 85 posts · 32 votes
    8y

    @Peter M.- Thank you for the response!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.