Rental Property Investor · Kapaa HI · Member since 2015 · 61 posts · 23 votes
I’m seeking advice on what to do about a mistake that my contractor made on a remodel that I’m managing from afar.
I explained that I wanted subway tile backsplash in the kitchen. The contractor sends me pictures of the tile to confirm I like it and I gave him the go ahead to put it in. I didn’t think it would be necessary to explain that I wanted it to go in horizontal as that is the common subway tile look.
He ends up installing it very well, but vertically. It doesn’t look terrible, but is not the look I was going for. Am I to blame here for not communicating well enough? Should I have him fix the mistake and redo it horizontally on his dime? Any advice is much appreciated.
Rental Property Investor · Brookville, OH · Member since 2016 · 488 posts · 363 votes
7y
These little things are not real problems. I think sometimes we respond emotionally when you can take a step back and realize this will work perfectly for the end buyer. I say let it go and in the future be more specific in what you want done. Just my $0.02. Good luck.
Rental Property Investor · Kapaa HI · Member since 2015 · 61 posts · 23 votes
7y
Thanks for the responses and suggestions everyone! I ended up deciding to keep the tile vertical and chalked it up to a learning experience and good opportunity to strengthen communication with my contractor. I'll post a picture of the finished product once it's complete.
(side note) the contractor just called and said his wife loves the house and he's very interested in buying it from me for his personal residence. :)
Flipper/Rehabber · Long Beach, CA · Member since 2017 · 155 posts · 118 votes
7y
that’s awesome! I hope he ends up buying it. That saves time having a retail buyer come through with an inspector and try to negotiate repairs. This guy buIlt it so at the very least you will avoid that headache!