Looking for a model business plan for a 4 partner 4 unit rental.

Looking for a model business plan for a 4 partner 4 unit rental.

Rental Property Investor · Brunswick, GA · Member since 2016 · 40 posts · 13 votes

I'm putting together a deal with 3 other guys that want to build 4 SFD for long term rental. We are just getting started and have a blank slate to work with at this point. There is a LOT to be considered when you have this many people involved and I really want to get it right the first time. So I'm hoping someone reading this has "been there and done that" and is willing to trade the details of their plan and structure for whatever I can offer in return. 

Here are the players and what they bring to the table. 

First, we have a builder that builds both spec and custom homes . He is a second generation builder and is really good at what he does. He and I have also done a few flips together in the recent past that has worked out well for both of us. He will be bringing his knowledge and a undetermined amount of cash to the table. 

Second, is a guy that manages a large building supply company. He has been in the business for 30 years and is very good at finding good deals on materials and putting them on the job. He is new to the rental game and just put his second rental on the market. He will also be bringing an undetermined amount of cash to the table.

The third player is a Doctor that has had mixed success with real estate in the past. The last deal for him was a flip we done together. It worker out well for both of us and he is looking for more places to invest in real estate.  He will be bringing the majority of the funds to the table.

And lastly myself. I love bringing people together and putting deals together. I have done numerous flips and have been in the rental game for five years. I will be putting the deal together, helping the builder with construction and managing the rentals once completed.  

I'm hoping we can do an all cash deal to avoid paying the bank interest. 

If any has ever done anything close to this I would love to hear from you.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Tony Roddenberry

2Reply
12 views

Most Popular Reply

Developer · Charlottesville, VA · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
7y

@Tony Roddenberry I have done several deals with multiple partners.

First thing is to establish who is going to be the lead. One person needs to be the main driver for the entire project. This person would delegate tasks to the other partners and follow up. This person also needs to be the main point of communication throughout the project so subs and suppliers do not get mixed messages form different people. 

Equity is typically divided up pari passu basis or pro-rata share depending on how much cash is invested by each partner.

Things to consider:  is the builder getting paid for his services? How much? Are you being paid for management of construction and rentals? How much? Is everyone on board with their role?

You definitely need to discuss and agree on everything before you do anything then get an attorney to draft the partnership agreement that covers all of the details including buy sell if things go bad or partners want out.

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Developer · Charlottesville, VA · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    @Tony Roddenberry I have done several deals with multiple partners.

    First thing is to establish who is going to be the lead. One person needs to be the main driver for the entire project. This person would delegate tasks to the other partners and follow up. This person also needs to be the main point of communication throughout the project so subs and suppliers do not get mixed messages form different people. 

    Equity is typically divided up pari passu basis or pro-rata share depending on how much cash is invested by each partner.

    Things to consider:  is the builder getting paid for his services? How much? Are you being paid for management of construction and rentals? How much? Is everyone on board with their role?

    You definitely need to discuss and agree on everything before you do anything then get an attorney to draft the partnership agreement that covers all of the details including buy sell if things go bad or partners want out.

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    7y

    @Tony Roddenberry

    Hi Tony,

    Are you looking for a business plan to accomplish the work and then operate it, or are you looking for a way to "Structure the partnership" such as who does what and who gets what.

    If it's the second one, talk to a CPA to decide on an entity and a tax structure for it, then visit an attorney who forms entities for real estate investors and follow his/her questions to come up with the entity "Operating Agreement".

    if you're looking to write a formal business plan (for the partners or lenders), that's a big time consuming job, maybe someone has a sample for you.

    I like Business Plan Pro, but it's easy to get bogged down time-wise with a formal business plan.

    Good Luck!

  • Rental Property Investor · Brunswick, GA · Member since 2016 · 40 posts · 13 votes
    7y

    Hi Scott.

    I think the answer to your questions would be yes and yes. All of the partnership deals I have done so far have been really simple. I'm big fan of simple but with 4 people involved that's probably not going to be an option.

    On the front side I need to come up with a fair value to what each person brings to the table. That's what I'm working on now. I believe we can get 10-15%  savings on building materials from the partner that manages the building material company. The builder is setting aside his 10% profit so that number is easy plug in. I will be working with the builder hands on doing all the plumbing and some other items in the actual build. The Doctor that will be putting up a good chunk of the funds will be saving us on loan fees and interest until the units are built and rented. So the question I'm trying to answer now is, if we wanted to be equal (or close to it) partners what percentage of cash should each partner bring to the table. 

    Then I need to get into exit strategy, buy out policy etc.      

  • Rental Property Investor · Brunswick, GA · Member since 2016 · 40 posts · 13 votes
    7y

    Hi Greg.

    I know this is strange and something that goes against the grain but the builder and myself would be in the point position together. He will be more of the lead in actual construction and I will be more of the lead in the over all project. With that said  we have done several flips together and know our strengths and weaknesses.  We have a great working relationship and a lot of respect for each other. 

    The builder would be getting a operating expense percentage but he would not be taking his normal profit percentage. That number is set and easy to plug in. 

    I would like to get as close to passu as possible for such a small project. 

    The Devil is in the details and getting to a dollar number each of us needs to contribute is proving to be harder than I first thought. 

  • Scott SmithPro Member
    Attorney · Austin, TX · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 932 votes
    7y

    Just a couple resources I direct people toward when they are considering partnerships:

    1. Questions all partners need to work through BEFORE they sign a deal.

    2. Tools for creating a venture specific LLC or liability protection.

    Pretty basic articles, but helpful. If you have any more specific legal questions regarding this type of partnership, let me know. My biggest recommendation for people just getting into their first partnership is to have an experienced attorney actually write up the operating agreement. It can save you tremendous frustration later on if it is done correctly from the beginning.

    Best of luck to you moving forward!

  • Rental Property Investor · Brunswick, GA · Member since 2016 · 40 posts · 13 votes
    7y

    Thanks Scott Smith.

    I will definitely dig into both articles. Thanks for taking the time to reply and posting the info. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.