Levelland, TX · Member since 2017 · 25 posts · 4 votes
Any advise for a first time new build? Cost specifically in the San Antonio, TX area and we may build in Levelland, TX as well. Do you get materials at Home Depot or do you use some type of supplier? Trim, doors, finishings, windows, etc.
Wholesaler, Rehabber and Landlord · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
7y
Hey @Jeremiah Gaviña, I have been buying and selling for over 15 years. New construction is something I have never done. It is a whole different ball game. I could put a team together and I know a few home builders, but that is not what I do.
I can tell you that if you have never done it before, it takes some planning. Zoning and permits first.
Plans to get the permit have to be worked on with the contractor to get the details worked out before anything is done.
NO you dont go to home depot to get supplies. I guess you could, but you are going to get better prices and whole framing packages at Lumber 84 or places like that. Then there are door places, hardware places that will give you prices that are cheaper and better quality than HD.
@Greg Dickerson, we want to build to sell. We have heard to get a GC and others say you can save so much by being the GC. We are still looking into the process and running numbers...Thanks
Developer · New Orleans, LA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 898 votes
7y
@Jeremiah Gaviña If you have no experience with new construction, you might be much better off finding a builder or GC that does new construction. The builder or GC will cost you about 20% of the build, but if you do it yourself (act as the GC), then you will spend tons of time and effort on the build personally.
Two major things to consider with acting as your own builder/GC is 1) will your bank financing allow it and 2) will your local city/county allow it.
Generally, since you will not owner occupy it, getting construction financing will be tough, and with no experience with construction, getting a construction loan while acting as your own builder/GC could be impossible. Also, most city will require a licenced GC on a new construction project, especially since you do not plan on owner occupying it. Getting your GC licence and insurance may not make sense for one (1) build.
Home Depot/Lowes/etc are not really setup for full new construction. One big issue is material delivery, the big box stores are just not setup for it. Nor are they any help with material takeoff and ordering assistance. They often do not have job quantity size inventory. I would reach out to local supply houses (lumber yards, sheetrock suppliers, door & window suppliers, insulation suppliers, etc).
@Greg Dickerson, we want to build to sell. We have heard to get a GC and others say you can save so much by being the GC. We are still looking into the process and running numbers...Thanks
A lot of people think this but if you have limited or no experience you will not get it done cheaper and it will take you twice as long. Carrying cost is something a lot of people forget about which is one of the things that can eat up your profits quickly depending on how you borrow the money.
Thanks for yalls in put. There is a lot to consider in a new build. I’ll have to look into the license to build, if this is required where I am. Good stuff!!