JADU-Convertible Builds in Southern California

JADU-Convertible Builds in Southern California

Developer · Orange County, CA · Member since 2020 · 42 posts · 23 votes

Hello All,

In the near future I will be developing 10 or so lots in southern California. Ideally the homes will be modular as I've had the best experience with that. I am very interested in multi-generational houses or especially homes that are easily convertible to allow for a junior attached ADU per California's definition.

I have searched through literally thousands of house plans and noticed that very few of them have this ability.

Has anyone else attempted to do this?  if so where can I find these designs or builds like this?

note: JADU is basically an apartment within your home that ideally has a kitchenette separate bathroom and separate washer dryer if the washer dryer is not in a convenient location to be shared.  Also requires the ability to have a separate entrance from the normal front door of the home.

Let me know!

1Reply
25 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Clairemont, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
5y

I'm not familar with any modulars that offer this as a standard floor plan, but I do know several builders are beginning to. Lennar has a subdivision in north san diego county where the homes will have attached JADU or ADUs standard. Who have you used for modular in the past? Could you approach them with a new custom floor plan that they could then make a standard? Especially if you give them an order of 10 to start, seems like they'd possibly be willing to try and work with you.

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Clairemont, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    I'm not familar with any modulars that offer this as a standard floor plan, but I do know several builders are beginning to. Lennar has a subdivision in north san diego county where the homes will have attached JADU or ADUs standard. Who have you used for modular in the past? Could you approach them with a new custom floor plan that they could then make a standard? Especially if you give them an order of 10 to start, seems like they'd possibly be willing to try and work with you.

  • Developer · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2016 · 464 posts · 143 votes
    5y

    @Kevin Purvis Multigenerational housing trend is booming! I know a guy whos doing exactly what you are talking about in southern california. He builds large 5 bedroom 4 bathroom townhomes. Build to rent product. Has had many successful projections. @Scott Choppin

  • Jo-Ann LapinPro Member
    Loan Officer · Tustin, CA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 713 votes
    5y

    How exciting and much needed. I am not surprised that you have not found a variety of these plans. The costs of land in good buildable areas is so high. This is a less expensive affordable approach to much needed housing inventory. 

  • Developer · DC & NC · Member since 2019 · 113 posts · 95 votes
    5y

    "Double master suites" or "dual master suites" are probably good search terms to begin with, especially if one's downstairs (better for a mother-in-law JADU) and another's upstairs. Another possible filter is to look for 2.5+ floor houses with a ground floor master, then looking to tweak the plan to turn an upstairs bedroom into a second master.

  • Specialist · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2019 · 51 posts · 39 votes
    5y

    @Kevin Purvis Ya there are not a ton of plans for Jadu's but they do exist or you can just easily design one yourself. 

    I'm doing one modular single family home project right now (in northern california) that includes 4 bed main house with 1 bed-1bath jadu over the attached garage.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.