Faster payoff, yearly lump sum or monthly?

Faster payoff, yearly lump sum or monthly?

Member since 2019 · 58 posts · 21 votes

I have a goal to pay off a large loan in 10 years. Let’s say I have 10K available to put towards extra principal every month. Would I end up paying the loan off faster if I did one lump sum payment of 120K per year, or doing 10k every month? Seems like with amortization it makes some difference. Is there any difference or is it the same?  Does one get me there faster?

0Reply
211 views

Most Popular Reply

Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 86 posts · 86 votes
4y

@Chris Hill mathematically it would be faster to pay off 10k per month than save up 120k/year and throw it at the loan at the end of the year. Basically the quicker you pay down the principal the less principal available to accrue interest on. I’m certain Calculators online can show you the delta.

See this reply in the discussion

69 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    4y

    Why do you want to pay off the loan faster?  Is this a rental property, with positive cash flow?  If so, then all you're doing is adding to your cost.  You're not saving money.

  • Member since 2018 · 433 posts · 208 votes
    4y

    @Chris Hill

    I see no one here wants you to pay the loans off. Im with you.

    Why own 10 times the real estate for the same cash flow? Im not in this to own a lot of real estate, im in it for cash flow. To each their own. But i have 2 totally paid for properties and theyre a dream come true. 0 hassle. Rent check is late? Oh well. I hope it comes in next week.

    That said, doesnt it depend on when you pay it.

    Assuming interest is calculated monthly, paying 120k up front saves 12 months of intestest on 120k, 110k, 100k etc.

    Paying 120k at the end of the year on the other hand, means you paid interest on that 120 every month instead of on 110, 100, 90.

    Am i missing something?

  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Bud Gaffney:

    Let the tenant pay it off! USE THAT EXTRA DOUGH TO KEEP INVESTING!!!


     Agreed.  This is a simple math problem...and I do mean simple.

  • Investor · Milwaukee - Mequon, WI · Member since 2010 · 5k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    4y

    People get 15 year mortgages in order to be debt free sooner. Of course with a higher monthly payment. A better way is to take that extra payment and invest it every month (assuming that your investment will yield more than the interest rate on the loan) - the principle is the same.

    45k in cashflow with 14 rentals is tough - that's $3,214 per door in cash flow. For quick math you'll need at least 45 units, if not 90. I agree about the headaches and it is better to buy viewer, but higher revenue properties. Who wants to manage a door for $600 in rent??

    We average about $500 per unit CF and I have wrestled the same question for years: do you grow wide or do you grow deep? My conclusion, as long as interest rates are lower than my average CoC it makes more sense to grow wider (more doors) than deeper (less debt).

    Also we have that wonderful thing called inflation, at 8.5% you'd be nuts to use today's cash to pay of future debt!

  • Member since 2018 · 433 posts · 208 votes
    4y

    @Joe Villeneuve

    If the end is no debt then at some point you habe to pay them off... this comment just threw me off from your previous arguments.

  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Shane H.:

    @Chris Hill

    I see no one here wants you to pay the loans off. Im with you.

    Why own 10 times the real estate for the same cash flow? Im not in this to own a lot of real estate, im in it for cash flow. To each their own. But i have 2 totally paid for properties and theyre a dream come true. 0 hassle. Rent check is late? Oh well. I hope it comes in next week.

    That said, doesnt it depend on when you pay it.

    Assuming interest is calculated monthly, paying 120k up front saves 12 months of intestest on 120k, 110k, 100k etc.

    Paying 120k at the end of the year on the other hand, means you paid interest on that 120 every month instead of on 110, 100, 90.

    Am i missing something?

    Yes you're missing something.  What's the use of this illusion of higher CF if all you're doing is repaying yourself?  The added CF comes from the added properties.  This is a simple math problem.  The cash that comes out of your pocket, and ONLY the cash that comes out of your pocket, is what the property costs you.  When you add cash from your pocket to pay down a debt, that the tenant is already doing for you for free, you are adding to your cost, and just giving back the free equity since you are now paying for that equity.  The tenant is paying the interest...not you.
    The DP (your initial cash) buys the initial equity, and should be the total cost to the REI for that property. The tenant buys you the property, and pays you (CF) for the privilege of letting them do so. When you take the tenant's place in paying off the mortgage, all that added CF is doing is paying you back, so you're not getting ahead. When the tenant pays it for you (i.e. rent), you are getting ahead.

    In other words, when you only have to put up the DP (your cash), you are buying a property worth 5 times what you paid for it.  When you are the one that pays down the debt by making payments on the principle out of pocket, you are paying full price for the property.

  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Shane H.:

    @Joe Villeneuve

    If the end is no debt then at some point you habe to pay them off... this comment just threw me off from your previous arguments.

    That point of payoff is when the tenant has paid it off for you.  Let the mortgage run its course.  That's the payoff....the end game.
  • Member since 2020 · 671 posts · 937 votes
    4y

    @Chris Hill

    I'm not a big fan of paying off early.  Those houses are already paid off on the Income Statement.

    Regardless, if you are going to pay off early, please be sure to leave yourself some liquidity for the occasional speed bump that life throws at you.  If you lose a job, have an illness, etc. the bank isn't going to give you any credit for paying ahead.  You can have all of the equity in the world, but if you need cash and can't qualify for a refinace loan because of not having a job or something, you'll pretty much be forced to sell.  Just a thought.

  • Shawnee Mission, KS · Member since 2016 · 719 posts · 313 votes
    4y

    I am in mindset pay it off, I did 3 houses that way, the rentals rent is all cash to pile up, invest in the market, ready to buy another A or B property, that part is huge for me appreciation on a fast pace i.e., location, location. I do and will take out mortgages too I will start to pay down the notes once I am in a happy spot which should be quick.

    Some or lot of folks think debt is the way to collect rentals in C and D areas fast and furious as you can, if you have a hick up for a number of reasons that can cause the property to be unloaded on the buyers’ terms.

  • Member since 2019 · 58 posts · 21 votes
    4y

    Thanks for posting on the original question, I think that makes sense now. 

    This has morphed into payoff/dont pay off which is great too.  Joe,  I do agree with your thinking.  Years ago I paid 5k to recast a mortgage to save a few bucks.  Total waste.  However, focusing on my 45k a month goal, and that is my one and only goal, can you share with me how you would go about achieving that in 10 years?  (I'm assuming take the 120k a year, over 10 years, 1.2 total, and buy 40 homes.  At 400 a door, that would be 16k cash flow, plus my current 12, so I would be at 28k in 10 years).   

    However with my plan of pay all 14 off (gross rents are 22k, net 12), and add the passive syndication of 25, I would be at 47k in 10-12 years. I'm having a tough time poking holes in that.  Sure the syndications could underperform, but so could other things.  

    Please poke holes in that plan.  Again, sticking to my goal, that gets me there in 10 years.  Help me see another to get to that number in 10 years without paying them down and using the current cash flow for a different investment.  I'm open to learning.
      

  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    4y

    To answer your question- they will pay down faster at $10k/mo. 

    The interest is calculated on the balance monthly. 

    I've paid off plenty. The $ difference in interest savings between monthly punches in the face vs annual isn't huge but the satisfaction seeing the balance fall every month sustained me. 

    Focus on your highest rate or lowest balance one and kill them off one at a time👍

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles · Member since 2018 · 844 posts · 1k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Chris Hill:

    I’m with you so far.   I’ll be very disciplined. Unfortunately my one commercial loan will go up in 9 years, and that’s the biggest loan.  I was thinking that one first.  The rest are residential.  

    Do you know of a good calculator online where I can run different scenarios versus manual adding up like I’m doing now?  I’m real curious what the best order would be.  But I’m looking at interest rate, and what the paid off loan adds to cash flow. 

    Hi Chris, so now that I'm back at my desk, I ran two scenarios where a $1M loan originating on 1/1/22 with a 3.875% loan rate was paid an additional 10K per month vs. 120K at the end of each year. Under the extra 10K per month scenario, you would be paid off by 6/1/2028. 

    If you were to do annual 120K payments, your principal balance at 6/1/2028 would be 61,075.69 and at the end of the year you would just need to pay an additional 33,825 to fully pay off the loan. So just as I thought, a bit faster with the monthly additional payments, but I don't know if that would be considered a meaningful difference.  If you'd like a copy of the Excel file I'm using, please feel free to DM me.

    I also see a lot of responses here about how you should let your tenants pay the mortgage. To me, that's an argument not based on logic and more like a slogan or RE catchphrase because the tenants aren't paying the mortgage company. They are paying you and you are paying the mortgage. I.E., money that would otherwise be in your pocket is now being used to pay down the mortgage. Also, I'm pretty sure you mentioned that you would be using rental income to make these additional payments...but I guess that comment is being pretty much ignored by the "let your tenants pay your mortgage" crowd. 

  • Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Chris Hill:

    my one commercial loan will go up in 9 years, and that’s the biggest loan.    The rest are residential. 

    ------------------------------------------
    1. What is the highest and best use of your money? Normally this is the interest rate you would receive by investing in X. Sometimes your highest and best use is paying down debt (e.g., high interest credit cards). Other times it is leveraging a down payment by buying more doors. Keep in mind that your risk tolerance is a real, and big, factor. Your spouse's feelings are the biggest factor of all.

    2. How is interest calculated? Simple interest per annum would yield no difference whether you paid the $120k on January 1 or on December 31. If your interest is calculated on a monthly basis, then paying $10k in January saves you the interest on that $10k for the next 11 months.Repeat for February and 10 months, March and nine, etc. So on a monthly accrual loan, paying the $10k each month minimizes the interest paid and maximizes the principal paid. Whether you paying that loan down faster is the highest and best use of the monthly $10k is an entirely different question (see above).

    3. "[M]y one commercial loan will go up in 9 years" -- This is the part everyone has been  jumping over. You also didn't give us enough information. Initially-- Will the property cash flow in nine years once you get a balloon payment or reset to a higher interest rate when the nine years is up? What is the interest on that loan versus the other loans? If you have to make a balloon payment/total payoff in 9 years, could you do it? Do any of your loans (especially the commercial loan) have a prepayment penalty?

    I get the impression that whatever happens in 9 years with the commercial loan will determine how you approach things now, within the framework of how much risk tolerance you and the little woman have. Let's assume that you have little risk tolerance, and, as you say, you want to quit your day job in 10 years. Assuming monthly interest re-calculations, you would want to pay $10k monthly (assuming highest and best use, etc.), not $120k at the end of the year. Do you pay it towards the commercial loan (check for prepayment penalties) and get that retired before the nine years are up, and then pay the residential loans? Do you pay off the residentials (or some of them) to free up money that can then go to the reset commercial loan? We don't know, because you haven't told us what happens to the commercial loan in 9 years, whether it is cash flowing now, and whether it would cash flow after when whatever happens in nine years.


    Consider making a portfolio sale now and doing a Starker exchange (1031) into 1 building if you want ease of management.
  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Tony Kim:
    Quote from @Chris Hill:

    I’m with you so far.   I’ll be very disciplined. Unfortunately my one commercial loan will go up in 9 years, and that’s the biggest loan.  I was thinking that one first.  The rest are residential.  

    Do you know of a good calculator online where I can run different scenarios versus manual adding up like I’m doing now?  I’m real curious what the best order would be.  But I’m looking at interest rate, and what the paid off loan adds to cash flow. 

    Hi Chris, so now that I'm back at my desk, I ran two scenarios where a $1M loan originating on 1/1/22 with a 3.875% loan rate was paid an additional 10K per month vs. 120K at the end of each year. Under the extra 10K per month scenario, you would be paid off by 6/1/2028. 

    If you were to do annual 120K payments, your principal balance at 6/1/2028 would be 61,075.69 and at the end of the year you would just need to pay an additional 33,825 to fully pay off the loan. So just as I thought, a bit faster with the monthly additional payments, but I don't know if that would be considered a meaningful difference.  If you'd like a copy of the Excel file I'm using, please feel free to DM me.

    I also see a lot of responses here about how you should let your tenants pay the mortgage. To me, that's an argument not based on logic and more like a slogan or RE catchphrase because the tenants aren't paying the mortgage company. They are paying you and you are paying the mortgage. I.E., money that would otherwise be in your pocket is now being used to pay down the mortgage. Also, I'm pretty sure you mentioned that you would be using rental income to make these additional payments...but I guess that comment is being pretty much ignored by the "let your tenants pay your mortgage" crowd. 

    Not ignored.  The CF that you receive from the rent is your money.
    I have a scenario for you to run:  
    1 - Take the CF you are going to use to pay down the debt and add up all the payments over the years you make those payments until the loan is paid off.
    2 - Add that number to the down payment you would make.
    3 - That's what you paid for the property.
    4 - Now, take your new CF for a year without debt.
    5 - Divide the your total cost (see Step #3) by the number from Step #4.
    6 - That's how long it will take to break even...and how long it takes before you start to make a profit.
    7 - Take the total Cash Flow for a year with debt
    8 - Now, Take your DP (Step #2), and divide that number by the number you got in Step #7.
    9 - That's how long it will take you to break even without making the extra payments to pay off the debt....and, when you start making a profit.
    10 - Subtract the number of years to break even with debt (Step #9) from the number of years to break even without debt (Step #6)
    11 - Multiply the number you got in Step #10 by the CF/year with debt from Step #7.
    12 - That's how much profit you make by not paying off the debt while the option to payoff the debt is still waiting to break even.
    13 - Multiply the CF/Year from the option of paying off the debt x the number of years remaining to payoff the debt.
    14 - This is the profit you would have made by paying off the debt over the same period of time it would have taken to pay off the debt without making any extra payments.
    15 - Multiply the CF/Year from the option of NOT paying off the debt by the remaining years for the debt...and add that number to the profit made in step #12.
    16 - This is the total profit you would have made by not paying down the debt.
    17 - Compare the two.
    18 - Take the CF/Year you are making with debt, and invest it in another CF property.
    19 - Add the CF/Year from the new property (Step #18), multiply it by the number of years from the purchase of this new property to the end of the debt on the original property, and add that to the number you got in Step #16.
    20 - That is the total CF you would have made by not using the CF to paydown the debt on the original property, and instead invested in a 2nd property.
    21 - How many new properties could you buy from the CF, that would increase your total CF/year, and thus the total CF over the course of the term/years of the original property?
    22 - Which scenario gets you the most CF over a common length of time?  
    23 - Which scenario gets you the most total Property Value?
    24 - Now, which scenario is the best use of funds?


  • Member since 2019 · 58 posts · 21 votes
    4y

    that made my head spin! :)  thanks for thinking that through.  for the past 10 years, I've been of that mindset, dont pay off, buy more units until the total CF once paid off reaches the goal.  Based on your instructions, at 10 years, do you feel I would have more cash flow?  Again, gross CF now is 22k.  If paid off in 10 years, lets say its 25K with rents inching up. Would taking 120k per year for 10 years and buying more doors beat 25K?  I get the argument of now i would have 50 properties all being paid off by tenants.  I just dont want to be 70 when i hit my monthly cash flow goal, i want to be 50.

    joe, what would you do with the 120 a year to get to 25k CF in 10 years?

    The 900k loan is a commercial loan at 3.9, that i will have to refinance at 10 years (im in year 1).  I'm assuming it would jump to 5-7%, but that guessing 10 years in the future.  It would take 7.6 years of 10k payments to have that done, which yes would take discipline.  But that would help me hit the goal.  

  • Member since 2019 · 58 posts · 21 votes
    4y

    i should add i get that paying 2m towards loans, to get 10-15k more in cash flow is terrible roi.  but if my goal is my guide, why not hit the goal and be done, regardless of roi?  

  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Chris Hill:

    that made my head spin! :)  thanks for thinking that through.  for the past 10 years, I've been of that mindset, dont pay off, buy more units until the total CF once paid off reaches the goal.  Based on your instructions, at 10 years, do you feel I would have more cash flow?  Again, gross CF now is 22k.  If paid off in 10 years, lets say its 25K with rents inching up. Would taking 120k per year for 10 years and buying more doors beat 25K?  I get the argument of now i would have 50 properties all being paid off by tenants.  I just dont want to be 70 when i hit my monthly cash flow goal, i want to be 50.

    joe, what would you do with the 120 a year to get to 25k CF in 10 years?

    The 900k loan is a commercial loan at 3.9, that i will have to refinance at 10 years (im in year 1).  I'm assuming it would jump to 5-7%, but that guessing 10 years in the future.  It would take 7.6 years of 10k payments to have that done, which yes would take discipline.  But that would help me hit the goal.  

    Now my head is spinning.
    I can answer your question but first I need to verify a couple of things:
    1 - What is the CF/month with debt
    2 - What is the CF/month without debt
    3 - How much per month would you be adding to the principle
    4 - What is the loan balance
    5 - How many years left in the loan if you don't add cash
    6 - How many years would be left if you did add cash to the principle
  • Member since 2019 · 58 posts · 21 votes
    4y

    1. current cf with debt is 10k

    2. cash flow excluding debt is 20k (gross rents minus hoa/insurance)

    3. adding 10k a month

    4. loan balance 900k

    5. its a 10 yr commercial loan at 3.9.  At 10 years, i would likely have to just refinance and do it again.  The balance would not be paid off at 10 years if i dont add extra payments.  It would probably have 700 remaining at 10 years.

    6.  if i add 10k cash, the 900 would be paid off in 7.6 years, no balance

  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    4y

    I have your answer.  In 15 years, both methods would have the exact same total cash flow of around 1.8M.  However, if instead of paying down the debt on this property, every time you accumulated $240k in CF (assuming you paid 20% DP on this one), you used that money for a DP on another property, by the time you reached that 15th year, there would be so many "0's" on your CF/Year, and in your total Property Value, it would make your head spin.

    I'm not saying go out and buy another property every time you got $240k in CF.  I said that to make a point of how fast/large your money grows when you take advantage of the compounding effect...which you would be doing if you reinvested in new properties instead of paying down just one.  What that means is your goal, which is far less than the number with all those zeros would be, can be reached much sooner.  In other words, you don't need 90 properties...and your don't need to pay them off early.

    PM me if you have any questions and I can show you what I mean.  I designed software to do this calculation for me.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Denver, CO · Member since 2021 · 666 posts · 389 votes
    4y

    @Chris Hill  Cash Flow is king! Leveraging what you have to add cash flow is even better. Why pay off loans with low-interest rates, especially now with inflation and interest rates going up. If you haven't considered getting a cost segregation study done, I would encourage you to consider that to add to your cash flow and then look for another property. 

    Of course, there is another consideration. If you are elderly, don't want more to manage, and plan to leave the property to your heirs, get the cost segregation done and use that cash flow to help your family, pay medical bills, take a much-needed vacation, etc. When you pass, there is NO recapture and your heirs have the opportunity to do another cost segregation study on a new basis. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Honolulu, HAWAII (HI) · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    Normal people think in terms of debt and interest rate.

    Wealth people don't worry about those... they look at cashflow and impact/growth to net worth.

  • Rental Property Investor · Clarksville, TN · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    @Chris Hill

    You are correct, there is a difference. Monthly would be faster.

  • Real Estate Agent · San DIego · Member since 2019 · 177 posts · 185 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Chris Hill:

    Matthew thanks, that answers that question.

    My goal is 45k passive a month.  With 14 rentals I’m at 12k.   I’d have to buy a lot of rentals to get to 45k, and that’s more doors to worry about (I self manage). Seems like it would take 20-30 years to get to 45.  Maybe I’m wrong? My payoff plan would achieve it in 10-12 years, with no additional doors. 

    Help me understand other ways of getting to 45k in a shorter time than 12 years.  Is it possible another way?


    I'm often the contrarian here, but I'm not a fan of leverage and expansion just for the sake of having more.   Your profile of goals is how we did it.  Maximize the return per door, instead of endless growth and leverage.   If 14 rentals can achieve your goal, it's time to stop growing and focus on how to achieve your desired returns.  Paying off the mortgages will help.  

    If you trust yourself more than the stock market, and like the control over your own finances and wealth trajectory, then this is a great strategy. Also, the earlier that you have financial independence, the sooner you get to enjoy your wealth.   Thirty years is a long time to pay a debt down, but it's an even longer time to wait for enjoying financial freedom. 

     By maximizing your return per unit, that's an easy way to give yourself a raise.   I prefer to have no debt, because IMO, whatever the interest is costing you is money you're giving to the bank instead of keeping in your pocket.  It's like reverse compound interest-- the less principal you owe, the less interest you pay to the bank. So the sooner you pay it down, the quicker it will pay off.   There's no point in waiting to pay it down, as long as you won't leave yourself strapped for cash.  

    The math would look like this:  If you snowball your debt payments, every bit of interest that you would pay to the  bank instead is liberated, presumably to pay down even more debt.  If you want to hit 45K a month, your current and projected rents need to be 45K a month, then you need to work off the leverages (mortgage debt) one by one.  If  you're currently making 12K, is that gross or net?  If net, then how much extra are your mortgages?  Your take home (net) will go up exactly the amount of your paid off mortgages, as they pay off.  So if you have 10 mortgages at $1000 payment per month each (10K a month in payments), every time you pay off a mortgage, you liberate an extra $1000 per month.   
    For the purpose of simplicity, I'm leaving off the basic landlord stuff like rent increase projections, turn over and repair costs, etc.  

    I really like the snowball calculator at Financial Mentor.   It's easy to plug in the numbers and get the "what if I paid this..." results in a nanosecond.  


  • Member since 2019 · 58 posts · 21 votes
    4y

    This is my thinking as well.  If i'm hitting my goal, why buy more?  

  • Member since 2019 · 58 posts · 21 votes
    4y
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.