General Real Estate Investing

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Malczewski
Votes |
Partnering with your spouse

Matthew Malczewski
Posted Jun 6 2022, 04:04

Good morning BP World! My name is Matt and I’ve been a realtor for almost 17 years. I’ve been successful for about 10 of those. I started young and dumb and didn’t put in
the work. I’m also a career firefighter for the last 11 years. I really feel the two balance each other out but the fire dept is becoming less and less of a love. 

I flipped a couple houses a few years back and didn't do well. One profited about $12k and the other lost about $25k. I'm finally getting back in. I'm closing on a property I am wholesaling this week. I'm also about to put two properties under contract. One to flip and one to BRRRR.

Here’s the real part of my post. My wife wants to be involved and I’m fully onboard. I think it will be a great joint venture for us to grow our wealth. However, she has zero real estate experience or knowledge. I currently have her ready Rich Dad Poor Dad and then some others real estate specific books lined up. Who else has done something similar? What did you do to get things rolling cohesively? How did it turn out? I want the good, the bad, and the ugly!!!

Thanks all! 

Baltimore, Maryland

User Stats

Votes
Katie Miller
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Denver, CO
Replied Jul 5 2022, 13:22

Hey @Matthew Malczewski! Something that has worked well for my husband is me is figuring out our strengths and playing to them wisely. For example, he doesn't love dealing with people so I typically manage all communication between our tenants and us and/or short-term guests. I hate accounting, so he takes care of that each month. Is there anything she's better at that she can take on? There's SO much to do with rentals that I'm sure she can find something that sparks joy for her!

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Malczewski
Votes |
Replied Jul 5 2022, 13:39
Quote from @Katie Miller:

Hey @Matthew Malczewski! Something that has worked well for my husband is me is figuring out our strengths and playing to them wisely. For example, he doesn't love dealing with people so I typically manage all communication between our tenants and us and/or short-term guests. I hate accounting, so he takes care of that each month. Is there anything she's better at that she can take on? There's SO much to do with rentals that I'm sure she can find something that sparks joy for her!

Yes! She is organized and good with bookkeeping. I am neither of those things but I have the real estate knowledge and love talking to/dealing with people. 

I think to start they will be our positions and then build/evolve form there. 

I really appreciate your input!