How Does OPM Investing Work?

How Does OPM Investing Work?

Member since 2022 · 7 posts · 6 votes
I am trying to get a better understand of how using OPM works in RE financing.  Specifically, how would you determine how much an investor gets after a flip, or cash flow for rental income?  Here are two examples. I am aware there are other costs to think about, but just keeping the numbers simple for the purpose of understanding.  

1) Flip:  Say purchase price and rehab costs on a home is 300k, and you flipped for 450k.  You put a down payment of 20% (60k) and got 120k each from two investors.  So since your net profit was 150k, how much would each investor get and how much would I keep?  Or is this a horrible investment because the net profit doesn't even equal the OPM I used?  

2) Rental: Same purchase price of $300k.  Used 240k OPM split evenly between two investors.  Rental cash flow is $500/month.  How much would each investor get, how much would I keep?   

I hope this makes sense.  Really trying to understand how I would pitch these kinds of investments to potential private lenders...
0Reply
24 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Consultant · USA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 751 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Yousuf Kaleem:
    I am trying to get a better understand of how using OPM works in RE financing.  Specifically, how would you determine how much an investor gets after a flip, or cash flow for rental income?  Here are two examples. I am aware there are other costs to think about, but just keeping the numbers simple for the purpose of understanding.  

    1) Flip:  Say purchase price and rehab costs on a home is 300k, and you flipped for 450k.  You put a down payment of 20% (60k) and got 120k each from two investors.  So since your net profit was 150k, how much would each investor get and how much would I keep?  Or is this a horrible investment because the net profit doesn't even equal the OPM I used?  

    2) Rental: Same purchase price of $300k.  Used 240k OPM split evenly between two investors.  Rental cash flow is $500/month.  How much would each investor get, how much would I keep?   

    I hope this makes sense.  Really trying to understand how I would pitch these kinds of investments to potential private lenders...

     @Yousuf Kaleem on 1. Flip - You left out a lot of expenses, There will be acquisition costs, holding costs and disposition costs. Most flippers estimate 15% of the ARV for these. So on $450K, that's another $67K. So that means your profit is closer to $150K -$67K = $83K. As far as how you split it will depend if they are equity investors or debt. I'm thinking they are equity based on the way you explained it.So the easiest is divide it by 3 so about $28K each. This is a really good return in this hypothetical example. Or you can take half and they split the other half. Or you get them as debt investors and pay them 15% or so during the time you have their money.

  • Accountant · San Diego, CA · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 552 votes
    4y

    Private lenders dont really care where you are getting the down payment. I say don't really because they are just measuring your viability to pay them back. That borrowed down payment may or may not affect their decision depending on other things like your track record, how this particular deal looks etc. It's up to you to sort out what happens with profits/share of the deal. I would say as a general rule of thumb if you're getting the downpayment with OTM if you have sufficient collateral outside of the property it self that is a good sign to a lender. 

  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    4y

    @Yousuf Kaleem

    You typically cannot raise funds from multiple entities (howey test) unless they are providing loans.

    How you structure your agreement with OPM can be done however you want it, but it just be enticing enough to get the lender to fund the deal.

    7e investments53 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.