Votes
Quiana Berry
  • New to Real Estate
Votes |
Should I house hack in or out of state for my first deal

Quiana Berry
  • New to Real Estate
Posted Nov 2 2022, 18:05

Can I be honest and say: I am stuck not knowing where to begin/ feeling overwhelmed/analysis paralysis, and not feeling "ready" enough to invest or if I am prepared for the headache of landlording 

Defined my goal though: I aim to start by investing in a multifamily house hack in NJ (West NY area) for the close proximity to NY, within the year. I will have that as a home base, trying to aim for young professionals like myself who want to be close to NY for work.

Here's my dilemma: I am torn bc I work remotely and technically can invest anywhere but I would have to stay there over a year to set it up as per the loan reqs. I know if I go out of state and leave friends and fam behind I can do STR, build up equity quicker and pull out to reinvest in my next home, and then buy in NY/NJ region. Not sure what order to do it and if I should make the sacrifice.

My logic is : At least if I start in the more expensive market I can get higher rents, even though STR is illegal in my desired purchase area, even if hosted. Am I right? I feel like Im going crazy lol

Either way I'm looking for preferably off-market, multi-family slight fixer-uppers in West NY and will pull the trigger soon. All leads welcome!!! Let me know how I can support you too! Cheers

Loading replies...