Low Offers on my listed properties-Is this the new reality?

Low Offers on my listed properties-Is this the new reality?

Woodbridge, VA · Member since 2017 · 122 posts · 44 votes

Hi All-

I rehabbed and listed three properties for sale. They are rehabbed to a high standard and my asking price is somewhat lower inferior comps.

I have received offers where buyers are either asking for 3% CC concession or offers that are at least 5--7% below the asking price. My counteroffers for full price offer is met with silence. 

I am carrying a high debt burden due to some unseen repairs and I wonder if this is the new reality and whether I should accept a 20K haircut on each property before it gets any worse. On a positive note, there isn't much else for sale in these good locations. 

Thoughts?


1Reply
23 views

Most Popular Reply

Joe S.Pro Member
Investor · San Antonio · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
3y

A counter offer at the exact same price could be considered a bit smug in the market we are heading into. Even a tiny reduction could show goodwill IMO. 

See this reply in the discussion

17 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Clairemont, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    What price point, demographic for your area (entry, luxury) and how long have they been listed? 

  • Joe S.Pro Member
    Investor · San Antonio · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

    A counter offer at the exact same price could be considered a bit smug in the market we are heading into. Even a tiny reduction could show goodwill IMO. 

  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    3y

    If your asking price is lower than inferior recent sales comps, they should sell near full ask but may need to negotiate a little in this market.  The knife is falling though; so, even recent sales comps get stale as prices decline.  If there is nothing wrong with the property or the marketing, the market will tell you the price.

  • Member since 2022 · 20 posts · 22 votes
    3y

    Smart buyers know they have negotiating power in this market. However, buyers don't always know what a good, fair price is. People just want a deal and may think your starting price is the start of a negotiation. 

    You, on the other hand, started low and didn't leave yourself room to negotiate. 

    I recommend unlisting your property. Then, start with a new price that is based on what the property is worth. Then, you have wiggle room to negotiate down a few thousand. 

    In your mind, make your current price be the lowest price you're willing to negotiate down to. 

  • Woodbridge, VA · Member since 2017 · 122 posts · 44 votes
    3y

    In some ways, I am starting to blame my ultra passive realtor. Well, not fully blame him but his just an overly laid back guy vs. actively following up with other agents etc. The price tag for all three is close to 300K. 

    Looking at recently close comps, it appears almost everyone is starting to offer some concessions. They have been listed for 3 weeks now. 

  • Investor · Lancaster, PA · Member since 2022 · 74 posts · 104 votes
    3y

    can you share the listings?

  • Robin SimonBusiness Member
    Lender · Austin, TX · Member since 2022 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Jacob Beg:

    Hi All-

    I rehabbed and listed three properties for sale. They are rehabbed to a high standard and my asking price is somewhat lower inferior comps.

    I have received offers where buyers are either asking for 3% CC concession or offers that are at least 5--7% below the asking price. My counteroffers for full price offer is met with silence. 

    I am carrying a high debt burden due to some unseen repairs and I wonder if this is the new reality and whether I should accept a 20K haircut on each property before it gets any worse. On a positive note, there isn't much else for sale in these good locations. 

    Thoughts?



    Are you 100% committed to selling these or are you considering or open to keeping through BRRRR?

  • Woodbridge, VA · Member since 2017 · 122 posts · 44 votes
    3y

    @robin I am open to rental, however, I have other projects in pipeline so I need to free up the capital etc. One of the properties comes with an HOA restriction against renting, there are exceptions that one can apply for but it is a drawn out process.

    Also, I believe there is going to be perhaps further softening in the market and its good to have cash on hand. May be I am starting to persuade myself to negotiate and move on vs eating the hard money mortgage. The harsh winter is not helping. 

  • Rental Property Investor · St. Louis, MO · Member since 2022 · 125 posts · 124 votes
    3y

    I don’t know your market, but in general the housing market is slow from November-January. I think your difficulty selling has a lot to do with timing, not just a market shift. 

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2021 · 9k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    Says a lot about the market. Looks like your market has dipped 7%

  • Andrew SyriosPro Member
    Moderator
    Residential Real Estate Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    The market has certainly softened but I don't think this is the general reality. It may just be the property, submarket or bad luck. I hear from flippers and banks that properties are still moving. And while sales are down, it's not catastrophically down. 

  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2012 · 269 posts · 187 votes
    3y

    5-7% doesn't strike me as that bad of a discount. Might be worth negotiating further, but I could see it being a lot worse.

  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2020 · 153 posts · 136 votes
    3y

    Hey @Jacob Beg, congrats on your 3 properties.

    From what I'm seeing, what you stated is our current market. I invest in Las Vegas and Chicago. Even if your property is accurately priced (or even priced on the lower end), you're always going to attract lower offers.

    Buyers know they have leverage right now and buyer agents are persuading would-be buyers by telling them they can offer under asking price.

    These are ultimately your properties so only you know your holding costs and stresses of holding the properties. If money is a stressor, it might be a good idea to take the under-asking price offers (or at least meet them somewhere in the middle). Bite the bullet and live to invest another day. Wish you the best, brother.

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    3y

    You need to always be adjusting your pricing strategy to meet the market conditions. In Woodbridge in March, under pricing was the right strategy. Today, over pricing would be the correct strategy.

  • Property Manager · Henderson, NV · Member since 2018 · 501 posts · 317 votes
    3y

    @Jacob Beg flexibility is key in this market.  At the end of the day a home is worth what the buyer is willing to pay.  If there is nothing wrong with the condition of the home then price is likely the main factor preventing a sale.  Sometimes the "condition" question can be as simple as the home showing clean, good smells, bright light.... Take all that with a grain of salt as I have not seen the property and am only familiar with the Las Vegas and Henderson NV market.

  • Lender · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2016 · 33 posts · 22 votes
    3y

    Unfortunately yes.  Listings are sitting a little longer than what we have been experiencing over the past couple of years. Also a lot of Agents are trying to appease their Clients, by advising them to offer less than the listing price and cash in on the market shift so they can make a sale.  

    Rates are also playing a role, as more people were priced out of the market when rates went up.  So, would be home buyers are trying to squeeze out any savings they can.  

    Just my observations.

       

  • Rental Property Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2021 · 39 posts · 37 votes
    3y

    Could you sell the one with an HOA and refi/rent the others? I'm sure budget would be a barrier to do a STR or MTR but if you had a good market for it, it could be a great way to recoup some of the loss. Keep us posted!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.