What do you do when you question your choices?

What do you do when you question your choices?

Austin, TX · Member since 2022 · 12 posts · 4 votes

Hello,

I have 2 long term rental properties in central Texas.  I would like to buy another property in Texas, but property taxes are so expensive. So, I have been looking in St Louis but still question my target market. My initial thoughts were to buy a duplex and get a good cash back return, but since I am still questioning the area, I start to think a single family would be best to start with.  But, that could just be my fear kicking in.  What are things you do when you question your choices in real estate?

Any advice, would be appreciated.   

3Reply
25 views

Most Popular Reply

Realtor · Columbus Ohio, Cleveland Ohio · Member since 2022 · 849 posts · 830 votes
3y
Quote from @Beatriz Casarez:

Hello,

I have 2 long term rental properties in central Texas.  I would like to buy another property in Texas, but property taxes are so expensive. So, I have been looking in St Louis but still question my target market. My initial thoughts were to buy a duplex and get a good cash back return, but since I am still questioning the area, I start to think a single family would be best to start with.  But, that could just be my fear kicking in.  What are things you do when you question your choices in real estate. Any advice, would be appreciated.   


Checkout Ohio! Columbus is the fastest growing metropolitan area in the midwest with decent cashflow, and appreciation 8% higher than the national average. Cleveland is incredible for cash flow, with around 60% of households occupied by renters. Happy to chat more in-depth on these markets if you shoot me a DM!

See this reply in the discussion

27 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Wale LawalBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Estefania Navas:
    Quote from @Wale Lawal:

    @Beatriz Casarez

    For your next investment, have a clear investment goals so that you can find the deal and negotiate accordingly.

    Work with an experienced local agent or investor and shorten your learning curve as they save you a lot of headaches as they tend to understand the market better.

    I am a real estate agent and investor in the Houston market.

    Katy, Cypress, Spring, some parts of Houston, Conroe, Tomball, Pearland are great markets.

    Rent growth and appreciation is steady.

    These cities tend to command quality tenants, and they have great schools.

    All the best!


    Hi Wale, Can you please specify what part of Houston? 

    I operate in almost entire the Houston market.

    We can connect if you need more information.

    Thank you!
  • Brian MillerPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · St. Louis, MO · Member since 2019 · 58 posts · 45 votes
    3y

    @Beatriz Casarez it depends on a few factors that were already mentioned regarding your goals. Also, what is your price point and ideal class of neighborhood? $150-$175k could get you a 3/1 SFH in a C+ to B neighborhood in St. Louis, but the same price range will get you a duplex in a C- or below area. Personally, I like having more units to cover maintenance expenses and vacancies when they come up. A vacant house can crush your cash flow for the year if it sits vacant for two months, which is about average when a tenant moves out. As with a duplex, hopefully the occupied side is covering a majority of the mortgage. My advice is to find a good team that can help you with the acquisition and management of the property.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.