Should I use my equity and heloc?

Should I use my equity and heloc?

Member since 2022 · 42 posts · 24 votes

Hey everyone,

I have a fairly ignorant question, and have read a bit on the matter. But everyone’s situation is different and it’s hard to gauge this wild market so I wanted to put my question out there.

I have a house in Nashville with about $200k in equity. I also have a $40,000 heloc on that same property. I just moved out of it and started renting the property at about $800 cash flow/month. 

i just moved into a 1958 home 15 minutes outside of Nashville with my girlfriend, and am renovating it. My question is- should I use my equity/heloc to invest in other rental properties, finish the renovation on this new property, or just leave it?


I feel like I have all this money just sitting there doing nothing, but maybe that’s what it’s supposed to be doing at this time due to the market volatility. What are y’all’s thoughts?

1Reply
32 views

Most Popular Reply

Realtor · Ogden, UT · Member since 2019 · 338 posts · 415 votes
3y

One concept I learned a few years ago really blew my mind and instantly converted me into a buy & hold investor. It was the ROI on home appreciation.

If you own a $350,000 rental property and it appreciates a boring 3% per year, that's $10,5000/yr in appreciation.  That's almost $1,000 per month!

Holding on to property, even without big cashflow, is always a win.  I would recommend to always be buying as long as you have at least $10,000 in reserves for each property you own.

Good luck!

See this reply in the discussion

29 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Denver/Castle Pines/Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2021 · 248 posts · 136 votes
    3y

    It would be the best financial decision to purchase another property instead of renovating first. Don't string yourself out too thin, however, if you have proper reserves it will be far more beneficial than renovating your Live-In property. Now if the 1958 home is in dire need of updates, go ahead, but it sounds like you can live with the outdated house and put that money to work in a different property. 

    With this being said, there are a lot of bad deals out there right now, so double check pro-formas, do proper due diligence, and the next investment will be a cake walk. Good luck!

  • Investor · Charlottesville Virginia · Member since 2021 · 348 posts · 346 votes
    3y

    Hello Cody, you are asking yourself excellent questions! First, it sounds like you are in a great situation so congrats on getting yourself to this point. Next if I were you I would take inventory of your return on equity and the amount of time you have and are willing to invest. Your return on equity in this deal is 800*12/200,000 which is 4.8%. This is pretty low, and since you sound like a knowledgeable investor I am certain that you could get a better return on this money elsewhere. 

    Now that you know it is better to tap into that equity the question is how should you use it. If you have the time to manage your current rehab and purchase and manage another property then you should definitely do that as it will probably give you the highest returns. If you think that would be too much to manage you could consider investing in a syndication or partnering with another investor where you are the cash partner and they are the sweat partner. I actually know a syndicator who is doing a capital raise who is based out of Nashville, if you are interested let me know and I can connect you. I am also looking for cash partners on deals and would be down to talk but I am not here to pitch that, I just want to help you get the best returns on your money!

    My last comment would be that it sounds like you have some concerns about the market volatility. It is good to be conscious of the market and if I were you I would make sure that you have healthy cash reserves to cover all of the RE projects you have going on before you go invest in another property. If you do this then you will be protected regardless of what the market does. Feel free to reach out if you have any more questions and I will do my best to help!

  • Realtor · Ogden, UT · Member since 2019 · 338 posts · 415 votes
    3y

    One concept I learned a few years ago really blew my mind and instantly converted me into a buy & hold investor. It was the ROI on home appreciation.

    If you own a $350,000 rental property and it appreciates a boring 3% per year, that's $10,5000/yr in appreciation.  That's almost $1,000 per month!

    Holding on to property, even without big cashflow, is always a win.  I would recommend to always be buying as long as you have at least $10,000 in reserves for each property you own.

    Good luck!

  • Member since 2022 · 42 posts · 24 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Max Ferguson:

    It would be the best financial decision to purchase another property instead of renovating first. Don't string yourself out too thin, however, if you have proper reserves it will be far more beneficial than renovating your Live-In property. Now if the 1958 home is in dire need of updates, go ahead, but it sounds like you can live with the outdated house and put that money to work in a different property. 

    With this being said, there are a lot of bad deals out there right now, so double check pro-formas, do proper due diligence, and the next investment will be a cake walk. Good luck!


    Thank you Max! This is awesome and makes me feel a lot better about taking it slower on the live-in house! 

  • Member since 2022 · 42 posts · 24 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Brad Jacobson:

    One concept I learned a few years ago really blew my mind and instantly converted me into a buy & hold investor. It was the ROI on home appreciation.

    If you own a $350,000 rental property and it appreciates a boring 3% per year, that's $10,5000/yr in appreciation.  That's almost $1,000 per month!

    Holding on to property, even without big cashflow, is always a win.  I would recommend to always be buying as long as you have at least $10,000 in reserves for each property you own.

    Good luck!


    Brad I love this perspective! Thank you for the advice. I can afford to have lower cash flow right now, as long as it means I am building equity. So I think I know my answer, and will be beginning my search soon!

  • Jaron WallingPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y

    @Cody Thayer Investors are always buying/selling/wholesaling property. Investors are always reviewing there numbers. You said the property cash-flows $800. We assume that's after all the expenses. If not you better review your numbers. That's a home run rental property in my eyes. None of our rentals cash-flow that amount. The ROE probably fell off cliff but who cares?.. Nashville is a great market and I'd hold onto everything. 

    Play the long game. 

  • Member since 2022 · 42 posts · 24 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Jacob St. Martin:

    Hello Cody, you are asking yourself excellent questions! First, it sounds like you are in a great situation so congrats on getting yourself to this point. Next if I were you I would take inventory of your return on equity and the amount of time you have and are willing to invest. Your return on equity in this deal is 800*12/200,000 which is 4.8%. This is pretty low, and since you sound like a knowledgeable investor I am certain that you could get a better return on this money elsewhere. 

    Now that you know it is better to tap into that equity the question is how should you use it. If you have the time to manage your current rehab and purchase and manage another property then you should definitely do that as it will probably give you the highest returns. If you think that would be too much to manage you could consider investing in a syndication or partnering with another investor where you are the cash partner and they are the sweat partner. I actually know a syndicator who is doing a capital raise who is based out of Nashville, if you are interested let me know and I can connect you. I am also looking for cash partners on deals and would be down to talk but I am not here to pitch that, I just want to help you get the best returns on your money!

    My last comment would be that it sounds like you have some concerns about the market volatility. It is good to be conscious of the market and if I were you I would make sure that you have healthy cash reserves to cover all of the RE projects you have going on before you go invest in another property. If you do this then you will be protected regardless of what the market does. Feel free to reach out if you have any more questions and I will do my best to help!


    Jacob I would be interested in connecting for sure on some of those options. I am new to this site, so am not sure exactly how to exchange info, so let me know what you need from me to discuss

  • Member since 2022 · 42 posts · 24 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Jaron Walling:

    @Cody Thayer Investors are always buying/selling/wholesaling property. Investors are always reviewing there numbers. You said the property cash-flows $800. We assume that's after all the expenses because if not you better check the numbers. ROE probably fell off cliff but who cares? Nashville is a great market I'd hold onto everything you own. 


    Hey Jaron that is a general estimation of what I will make after all expenses are paid. I got my PMI removed right before this dip in the market, so I am grateful there, and that helped boost my cash flow $240/month. The Zestimate shows that I have about $250,000 in equity, but I am being realistic/conservative and saying $200k. Great advice, and good advice on rerunning my numbers just to make sure. I’ll be doing a deeper dive into everything I’ve got, and then running numbers on my options (interest on pulling out equity/heloc, etc). Awesome advice, and that makes me feel good about my Nashville house!!
  • Crystal SmithPro Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Cody Thayer:

    Hey everyone,

    I have a fairly ignorant question, and have read a bit on the matter. But everyone’s situation is different and it’s hard to gauge this wild market so I wanted to put my question out there.

    I have a house in Nashville with about $200k in equity. I also have a $40,000 heloc on that same property. I just moved out of it and started renting the property at about $800 cash flow/month. 

    i just moved into a 1958 home 15 minutes outside of Nashville with my girlfriend, and am renovating it. My question is- should I use my equity/heloc to invest in other rental properties, finish the renovation on this new property, or just leave it?


    I feel like I have all this money just sitting there doing nothing, but maybe that’s what it’s supposed to be doing at this time due to the market volatility. What are y’all’s thoughts?


     I would only invest the $40K heloc in the property you're living in if the plan is to rent and/or sell it, hence you're getting a return on investment from the $40K.  If you just plan on living in the home then I'd purchase another investment property and use the $40K to support that purchase as a downpayment.

  • Real Estate Agent · Kansas City · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Cody Thayer:
    Quote from @Jaron Walling:

    @Cody Thayer Investors are always buying/selling/wholesaling property. Investors are always reviewing there numbers. You said the property cash-flows $800. We assume that's after all the expenses because if not you better check the numbers. ROE probably fell off cliff but who cares? Nashville is a great market I'd hold onto everything you own. 


    Hey Jaron that is a general estimation of what I will make after all expenses are paid. I got my PMI removed right before this dip in the market, so I am grateful there, and that helped boost my cash flow $240/month. The Zestimate shows that I have about $250,000 in equity, but I am being realistic/conservative and saying $200k. Great advice, and good advice on rerunning my numbers just to make sure. I’ll be doing a deeper dive into everything I’ve got, and then running numbers on my options (interest on pulling out equity/heloc, etc). Awesome advice, and that makes me feel good about my Nashville house!!

     I'd have an agent run comps. Your equity could be 150K or 250K. Zestimate is not a great resource. As far as what to do. I would take it slow(if it was me). Use the money to finish the project you are on then find another deal. 

  • Member since 2022 · 42 posts · 24 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Caleb Brown:
    Quote from @Cody Thayer:
    Quote from @Jaron Walling:

    @Cody Thayer Investors are always buying/selling/wholesaling property. Investors are always reviewing there numbers. You said the property cash-flows $800. We assume that's after all the expenses because if not you better check the numbers. ROE probably fell off cliff but who cares? Nashville is a great market I'd hold onto everything you own. 


    Hey Jaron that is a general estimation of what I will make after all expenses are paid. I got my PMI removed right before this dip in the market, so I am grateful there, and that helped boost my cash flow $240/month. The Zestimate shows that I have about $250,000 in equity, but I am being realistic/conservative and saying $200k. Great advice, and good advice on rerunning my numbers just to make sure. I’ll be doing a deeper dive into everything I’ve got, and then running numbers on my options (interest on pulling out equity/heloc, etc). Awesome advice, and that makes me feel good about my Nashville house!!

     I'd have an agent run comps. Your equity could be 150K or 250K. Zestimate is not a great resource. As far as what to do. I would take it slow(if it was me). Use the money to finish the project you are on then find another deal. 


     Good call on getting a real estate to provide me an estimate before committing to an appraisal and all that stuff. I’ve got one in Nashville that I’ll reach out to for that! And yes I think after taking everything into consideration, that’s a good point on the renovation. I’m not moving out of here tomorrow, so no point in trying to get this house ready to sell, just to sit another 3-5 years. Thank you Caleb!!

  • Member since 2018 · 11 posts · 7 votes
    3y

    I think David Greene’s episode 684 “The Energy of Money” would be a good listen for you related to your question on if you should tap into your equity or not.

    It was eye opening for me to hear David talk about how equity in a property is similar to cash in a bank account and how it just needs to be converted to access it. His perspective was that money in a bank account is easier to access and deploy where equity in your property is difficult to access when you’re ready to make your next investment.

  • Rental Property Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    @Cody Thayer yes yes yes

  • John MorganPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Grand Prairie, TX · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    @Cody Thayer

    Yes, definitely tap into that equity! That’s how I got 12 or 13 of my rentals. I used equity just sitting there not doing anything for me to scale up including using if for rehabs. It feels like buying houses for free. I also did three 401k loans to use to buy houses that generate great cash flow. It’s all about your return on your equity. Crunch the numbers. If you can make a buck off that equity, then put it to use. Good luck.

  • Member since 2022 · 42 posts · 24 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Crystal Smith:
    Quote from @Cody Thayer:

    Hey everyone,

    I have a fairly ignorant question, and have read a bit on the matter. But everyone’s situation is different and it’s hard to gauge this wild market so I wanted to put my question out there.

    I have a house in Nashville with about $200k in equity. I also have a $40,000 heloc on that same property. I just moved out of it and started renting the property at about $800 cash flow/month. 

    i just moved into a 1958 home 15 minutes outside of Nashville with my girlfriend, and am renovating it. My question is- should I use my equity/heloc to invest in other rental properties, finish the renovation on this new property, or just leave it?


    I feel like I have all this money just sitting there doing nothing, but maybe that’s what it’s supposed to be doing at this time due to the market volatility. What are y’all’s thoughts?


     I would only invest the $40K heloc in the property you're living in if the plan is to rent and/or sell it, hence you're getting a return on investment from the $40K.  If you just plan on living in the home then I'd purchase another investment property and use the $40K to support that purchase as a downpayment.


    Ok perfect yes that makes sense!! I guess as long as my ROI is higher than my heloc interest rate, then I guess I can consider that a good investment? My dad brought me up to pay debts first before spending money. So im trying as hard as I can to get into the mindset of - I can invest in another asset that can pay my bills for me. Even if I owe $40k on a heloc, as long as my cash flow is paying that off each month and then some- then I'm good! Am I thinking correctly when I say that?

  • Member since 2022 · 42 posts · 24 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Cameron Kotara:

    I think David Greene’s episode 684 “The Energy of Money” would be a good listen for you related to your question on if you should tap into your equity or not.

    It was eye opening for me to hear David talk about how equity in a property is similar to cash in a bank account and how it just needs to be converted to access it. His perspective was that money in a bank account is easier to access and deploy where equity in your property is difficult to access when you’re ready to make your next investment.


     This is huge Cameron, I’ll listen to that today on my drive. Thank you for the share!!

  • Member since 2022 · 42 posts · 24 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Bud Gaffney:

    @Cody Thayer yes yes yes

    Haha straight to the point, I love it! This response alone makes me even more confident in tapping into my equity and investing!! Will keep y’all updated. 
  • Member since 2022 · 42 posts · 24 votes
    3y
    Quote from @John Morgan:

    @Cody Thayer

    Yes, definitely tap into that equity! That’s how I got 12 or 13 of my rentals. I used equity just sitting there not doing anything for me to scale up including using if for rehabs. It feels like buying houses for free. I also did three 401k loans to use to buy houses that generate great cash flow. It’s all about your return on your equity. Crunch the numbers. If you can make a buck off that equity, then put it to use. Good luck.


    John, it’s good to hear from someone who has done this same thing and experienced it with success. This makes it very real to me, and makes me think that it obviously can be done if other people are doing the same thing!! Thank you John for the confidence here and reassurance!

  • Real Estate Agent · Nashville, TN · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    @Cody Thayer

    Get a first position heloc on the property where you have the equity. Use that to buy more properties.

    Renovate the home you're living in right now slowly. One room at a time. 

  • Nicholas L.Pro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Pittsburgh · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    @Cody Thayer

    1. are you really cash flowing $800 a month after all expenses?  post them here if you want =)

    2. don't buy something just to buy something.  

  • John MorganPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Grand Prairie, TX · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Cody Thayer:
    Quote from @John Morgan:

    @Cody Thayer

    Yes, definitely tap into that equity! That’s how I got 12 or 13 of my rentals. I used equity just sitting there not doing anything for me to scale up including using if for rehabs. It feels like buying houses for free. I also did three 401k loans to use to buy houses that generate great cash flow. It’s all about your return on your equity. Crunch the numbers. If you can make a buck off that equity, then put it to use. Good luck.


    John, it’s good to hear from someone who has done this same thing and experienced it with success. This makes it very real to me, and makes me think that it obviously can be done if other people are doing the same thing!! Thank you John for the confidence here and reassurance!

    No problem. PM me if you have any questions. I learned by trial n error when I started investing 7 years ago and didn’t know anyone doing this. But using equity to scale up to buy houses with no out of pocket money was easy to do! But I kept reinvesting my cash flow into fixing the properties up or for my next 20% down payment on the next one. It really starts to snowball after a few years. Good luck. 
  • Member since 2020 · 19 posts · 20 votes
    3y

    Whether you take a HELOC or not, you should always have an emergency fund in the bank equal to 6 to 12 months of your salary.

    I've seen things go south quickly when people get laid off or get sick, a tenant causes thousands in damages or you have unforeseen capital expenses.  

  • Realtor · Ogden, UT · Member since 2019 · 338 posts · 415 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Cody Thayer:
    Quote from @Brad Jacobson:

    One concept I learned a few years ago really blew my mind and instantly converted me into a buy & hold investor. It was the ROI on home appreciation.

    If you own a $350,000 rental property and it appreciates a boring 3% per year, that's $10,5000/yr in appreciation.  That's almost $1,000 per month!

    Holding on to property, even without big cashflow, is always a win.  I would recommend to always be buying as long as you have at least $10,000 in reserves for each property you own.

    Good luck!


    Brad I love this perspective! Thank you for the advice. I can afford to have lower cash flow right now, as long as it means I am building equity. So I think I know my answer, and will be beginning my search soon!


    Sweet man!  I think the books and gurus often focus far too much on cashflow and it impedes a lot of newer investors from buying anything at all.  I firmly believe that owning real estate is just simply better than not.

  • Member since 2022 · 42 posts · 24 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Nicholas L.:

    @Cody Thayer

    1. are you really cash flowing $800 a month after all expenses?  post them here if you want =)

    2. don't buy something just to buy something.  

    Absolutely, I might be missing some hidden/opportunity costs here, But here is the general income/expense run down on my Nashville place. 

    total mortgage- $2,249
    no utilities
    pest control - $30/month
    security - $46/month
    total - $2,325

    4 bedroom (all rented out separately):
    - master bedroom - $1,200
    - upstairs large bedroom - $975
    - upstairs small 1 - $725
    - upstairs small 2 - $750 (just became vacant last week)

    - total rent up until this past week - $3,650
    - total rent w/ 4th bedroom vacancy - $2,900

    - so until I get the 4th bedroom rented, my cash flow will be about $550. But it seems to have been about $1,325 up until this last week. Let me know your thoughts on this!


  • Member since 2022 · 42 posts · 24 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Luka Milicevic:

    @Cody Thayer

    Get a first position heloc on the property where you have the equity. Use that to buy more properties.

    Renovate the home you're living in right now slowly. One room at a time. 

    I love this Luka! I hope to get numbers back from my MLO soon on what my interest rates would be and what my ROI/ROE would need to be to make it make sense.

    follow up question should I be using a local bank to get a better deal, or my mortgage loan officer?
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.