Atlanta investing

Atlanta investing

Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes

I've seen a number of posts by people that are thinking of investing in Atlanta from out of state, so I'm bringing this up, as it's likely not a topic that's well known outside of the city - The Beltline www.beltline.org

This is a 22-mile ring of railroad tracks, circling around Downtown about 2 miles out. It's been in the making since 1999, when a college student discovered that there are old, mostly unused, railroad tracks circling downtown. He wrote his thesis about the possibility to create a functioning railroad system, which would transform the inner city.

One of his professors liked it and it somehow made it out into the world. First it was just a mythical beast, but it's been put together piece by piece. The city has been buying the land. It's been split up into different portions and parks and jogging paths have been built in stages all around. They've been getting funding from various sources, grants, TADs etc.

So, I would suggest, for any of you who are thinking of buying and holding ITP (Inside the Perimeter) to look how close your proposed properties are to the Beltline. I'm not suggesting to speculate and only buy because you hope the values will go up. But I would say, if you have the choice between 2 properties, that are very similar in ever other regard, I would likely choose the one that was close to the Beltline, because once that is functioning, I believe the values near will increase substantially.

Myself, all of my properties are in a low-income neighborhood right next tot he Beltline. I have great cashflow now, but I expect the value to increase tremendously, once the Beltline is built. The only thing between my neighborhood and the Beltline is a 36 acre vacant piece of land, owned by UPS' non-profit division, who's planning to build a mixed-use development, which would be a further boon to the area, which is right off the freeway.

http://www.yardi.com/blog/news/atlanta-beltline/8095.html

8Reply
127 views

Most Popular Reply

Atlanta, GA · Member since 2016 · 60 posts · 39 votes
9y

@Michaela G. Great point.  Property values have risen quite nicely lately.

One other underreported aspect is the fact that there has been the addition of short-term/vacation rental demand in areas nearby the Beltline.  For instance, Poncey-Highlands was recently named on of the 15 fastest growing Airbnb markets in the world.

If there are investors looking to pursue a short-term rental investment strategy in the area, feel free to direct message me or call me. I have some experienced individuals in the area who can help you get the place rented out while you are out of state.

See this reply in the discussion

80 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Developer · Decatur, GA · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    The beltline is a huge project for improving the attractiveness of intown Atlanta. Holding properties near the beltline is a sound strategy for better than average appreciation.

    Anyone know when the quarry will be added?

    Rick

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 646 posts · 392 votes
    12y
  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    +I believe that percentage wise, the largest increases will be in the Beltline neighborhoods that are low-income, as they have a lot of inhabitants, who don't have a car. The lives of those people will be dramatically changed, because they'll be able to now get to jobs that might be really difficult to get to by Marta's bus system.

    While Buckhead and Piedmont area will certainly capitalize, I think the cheap areas are going to double and triple in value before the high end areas will

  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    12y

    TAD funding (tax allocation district) in Georgia but known in other states as TIF (tax incremental funding) has been dead for years in Georgia ( can't say about other states) .

    Back when I was doing commercial land development in 2007 for developers they would pay really high money for the land using TAD funds to make the projects viable on paper.

    In Georgia there is a little know law on the books that give schools the right to decide how their property tax mills are allocated. Cities and counties were taking property tax revenue before and redistributing it how they felt it best served the government.

    So when schools started saying we control approval of projects using the funds and commercial loans dried up when the economy went south without TAD funding or grants these projects were dead in the water. That is why the beltline never took off then and the land sat around. I haven't been on that side of it for awhile as I am doing the transactional side now versus construction but maybe some of the TAD funds and bonds, grants have come back into play. I can see if some of the developers walked away from non-recourse loans and the banks foreclosed how the new buyer might make a project work with much less land cost than those before. With big development it's all about the numbers. If a developer can't get the assistance they need to offset costs they will not do the project. The cities, counties, public at large think developers are ultra rich so they place all these demands on them not knowing the true costs and how it impacts the ability to create a project.

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    They recently got an $ 18,000,000 grant and there are other money sources that have come forward .

  • Developer · Decatur, GA · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y
  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    12y

    Thanks Michaela and Rick........... : )

    I have been out of that side for quite awhile. You know everything cycles with time. From what I see on the beltline website it is still infancy with decades to go according to them on changing a lot. Some progress is good. 18 mill on a total project view change of the whole belt line is very tiny but a start.

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    @Joel Owens

    , you're right in that it may still take a while for the actual train to be up and running, but the construction of parks and trails along the 'emerald necklace' of the Beltline will do alot to attract residents before everything is finished. That's already been happening all along. Look at Ponce City Market

    There's just something to having a trail with trees or a park just a block away, that helps property values. People want to take their dog out or go running or roller blading. And the more those trails are utilized the more it'll attract coffee shops or other businesses.

    It'll transform the areas around the Beltline as we go along, not just when it's finished.

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    I just came across this interesting article about the history of the Beltline called "the country's best smart-growth project"

    http://www.nationswell.com/whats-countrys-best-smart-growth-project-youll-surprised/

  • Atlanta, GA · Member since 2014 · 32 posts · 6 votes
    12y

    @Michaela G. Thanks for the post! As a current college student at UGA, its always good to see a fellow student already making a difference in Atlanta.  Its amazing to think that a college thesis started this entire project!  I will continue to look for more lots in this area.

  • Real Estate Investor, Flipper, PM, vacation rental, Wholesaler · Athens, GA · Member since 2013 · 260 posts · 210 votes
    12y

    @Account Closed have attended and we are always looking for more BP foks.  The next meeting is this coming Monday (never a charge). Come connect and develop your skills and network in your own back yard.  PM me some time if you want to chat or come tour our 3 rehabs we have underway right now.

  • Atlanta, GA · Member since 2014 · 9 posts · 2 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Michaela G.:

    I've seen a number of posts by people that are thinking of investing in Atlanta from out of state, so I'm bringing this up, as it's likely not a topic that's well known outside of the city - The Beltline www.beltline.org

    So, I would suggest, for any of you who are thinking of buying and holding ITP (Inside the Perimeter) to look how close your proposed properties are to the Beltline. I'm not suggesting to speculate and only buy because you hope the values will go up. But I would say, if you have the choice between 2 properties, that are very similar in ever other regard, I would likely choose the one that was close to the Beltline, because once that is functioning, I believe the values near will increase substantially.

    Myself, all of my properties are in a low-income neighborhood right next tot he Beltline. I have great cashflow now, but I expect the value to increase tremendously, once the Beltline is built. The only thing between my neighborhood and the Beltline is a 36 acre vacant piece of land, owned by UPS' non-profit division, who's planning to build a mixed-use development, which would be a further boon to the area, which is right off the freeway.

     Hello!

    I have a couple of rental properties in Atlanta and they too are in low income areas somewhat near the beltline (30310, 30315). I was wondering are your tenants on Section 8?

    The most recent house I bought was in 30310 and AHA did not approve the home because of the number of boarded up/vacant homes further down the street. Luckily I found some great college students and there hasn't been any issues but I am wondering about the nature of your tenants and if buying in this area has adversely affected your ROI, tenant pool, quality housing purchasing option, etc.

    Thanks!

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    @Heather Morgan  , All my properties are in Pittsbugh, 30310 and I never counted on Section 8, because I knew that the neighborhood was not acceptable to section 8.

    Sure, I could make even more cashflow, if that changes, but at this time it's not something I've taken into consideration, because it's not reality now.

  • Atlanta, GA · Member since 2014 · 9 posts · 2 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Michaela G.:

    @Heather Morgan  , All my properties are in Pittsbugh, 30310 and I never counted on Section 8, because I knew that the neighborhood was not acceptable to section 8.

    Sure, I could make even more cashflow, if that changes, but at this time it's not something I've taken into consideration, because it's not reality now.

    We may be property neighbors :)

    Have you ever done room rentals or do you do single family leases? I'm asking because when I started looking in that area, a few of the homes I looked at were being rented by the room and from what I was explained, was a profitable and popular method for owners in that area.

    Did you buy homes that needed much work or were overall move in ready? I'm asking because I usually buy 2006 or newer homes but am thinking of taking on something older and was wondering if you've had luck with contractors, repairs people, etc?

    If you are not using section 8, how are you finding your tenats? ave you had lots of issues with your tenants?

    Thanks!!

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    @Heather Morgan

    I'm in California, so, I'm not interested in renting by the room, because that is way too labor intensive. Rooming houses are a business and since they're illegal, more and more residents report them to the city, so that they get shut down, as they drag the values of the surrounding houses further down.

    I bought houses that had been involved in mortgage fraud, which I could tell from the pictures on realtor.com . Usually new paintjobs, new roofs and all kinds of other stuff and I only had to replace the things that had been vandalized. Only old houses. 

    Subcontractors are hit and miss. You have to kiss a lot of toads to find your princes.

    Finding tenants can be labor intensive and , yes, tenants can be very difficult. We're dealing with people who normally live paycheck to paycheck, so, if anything happens, they will have to choose between getting their car repaired to be able to get to work, paying the rent or feeding their baby. A lot of turnover. 

    You're dealing in a higher rental price rate, so, we have different tenants. There may be more in my price range than there are in yours, so it might be more difficult, but it also might be people with more money and more stable.

  • Toronto, Ontario · Member since 2014 · 615 posts · 172 votes
    11y

    @Michaela G. 

    Thanks for the post. Atlanta has always been a hub I admire although for its growth potentials and investor friendliness. What kind of market do you have in Pittsbugh? SFR costs, rentals, rates?

    Thanks 

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    @Ndy Onyido  , FYI 'Pittsburgh' is a neighborhood in Atlanta - not the City of Pittsburgh

  • Atlanta, GA · Member since 2014 · 9 posts · 2 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Michaela G.:

    @Heather Morgan

    I'm in California, so, I'm not interested in renting by the room, because that is way too labor intensive. Rooming houses are a business and since they're illegal, more and more residents report them to the city, so that they get shut down, as they drag the values of the surrounding houses further down.

    I bought houses that had been involved in mortgage fraud, which I could tell from the pictures on realtor.com . Usually new paintjobs, new roofs and all kinds of other stuff and I only had to replace the things that had been vandalized. Only old houses. 

    Subcontractors are hit and miss. You have to kiss a lot of toads to find your princes.

    Finding tenants can be labor intensive and , yes, tenants can be very difficult. We're dealing with people who normally live paycheck to paycheck, so, if anything happens, they will have to choose between getting their car repaired to be able to get to work, paying the rent or feeding their baby. A lot of turnover. 

    You're dealing in a higher rental price rate, so, we have different tenants. There may be more in my price range than there are in yours, so it might be more difficult, but it also might be people with more money and more stable.

    Wow, I had no idea room rental was illegal. Glad I didn't take that advice! LOL

    The homes I've bought were also reposed foreclosures due to mortgage fraud but I was lucky to get newer homes for what I assume is a decent price. I'm definitely looking to get my purchase prices down going forward so I can get a better ROI. Thanks again for all your feedback!

  • Toronto, Ontario · Member since 2014 · 615 posts · 172 votes
    11y

    @Michaela G. 

    Thanks. what kind of rates do you have at Pittsburgh? How much is 3B/2B SFR?

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Ndy Onyido:

    @Michaela G. 

    Thanks. what kind of rates do you have at Pittsburgh? How much is 3B/2B SFR?

     Can not recommend the neighborhood to anyone that isn't local and willing to manage themselves. And looks as if you're in Toronto. 

  • Toronto, Ontario · Member since 2014 · 615 posts · 172 votes
    11y

    Yea. I am in Toronto, but my target market is US.....

    Does that mean Pittsburgh is class C?. If so, Class is not my target market.

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    @Ndy Onyido  , as I mentioned in my initial post, it's a low-income neighborhood

  • Toronto, Ontario · Member since 2014 · 615 posts · 172 votes
    11y

    @Michaela G. Thanks, much appreciated

  • Investor · Jackson, GA · Member since 2011 · 228 posts · 126 votes
    11y

    I'll have to do some research about areas close to the belt line. I can defiantly see how it would add value in the low income areas....especially in the west end, Pittsburgh area.

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y

    Here are some more things that have come together due to the Beltline, which will likely bring up values around those parts, because....who wouldn't want to have this in their backyard?

    http://atlantarestaurants.blog.ajc.com/2015/12/09/...

    http://atlanta.curbed.com/archives/2015/11/10/belt...

    http://www.accessatlanta.com/news/entertainment/bi...

    http://clatl.com/atlanta/beltlines-adair-park-urba...

    http://www.atlantamagazine.com/list/ponce-city-mar...

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.