Atlanta investing

Atlanta investing

Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes

I've seen a number of posts by people that are thinking of investing in Atlanta from out of state, so I'm bringing this up, as it's likely not a topic that's well known outside of the city - The Beltline www.beltline.org

This is a 22-mile ring of railroad tracks, circling around Downtown about 2 miles out. It's been in the making since 1999, when a college student discovered that there are old, mostly unused, railroad tracks circling downtown. He wrote his thesis about the possibility to create a functioning railroad system, which would transform the inner city.

One of his professors liked it and it somehow made it out into the world. First it was just a mythical beast, but it's been put together piece by piece. The city has been buying the land. It's been split up into different portions and parks and jogging paths have been built in stages all around. They've been getting funding from various sources, grants, TADs etc.

So, I would suggest, for any of you who are thinking of buying and holding ITP (Inside the Perimeter) to look how close your proposed properties are to the Beltline. I'm not suggesting to speculate and only buy because you hope the values will go up. But I would say, if you have the choice between 2 properties, that are very similar in ever other regard, I would likely choose the one that was close to the Beltline, because once that is functioning, I believe the values near will increase substantially.

Myself, all of my properties are in a low-income neighborhood right next tot he Beltline. I have great cashflow now, but I expect the value to increase tremendously, once the Beltline is built. The only thing between my neighborhood and the Beltline is a 36 acre vacant piece of land, owned by UPS' non-profit division, who's planning to build a mixed-use development, which would be a further boon to the area, which is right off the freeway.

http://www.yardi.com/blog/news/atlanta-beltline/8095.html

8Reply
121 views

Most Popular Reply

Atlanta, GA · Member since 2016 · 60 posts · 39 votes
9y

@Michaela G. Great point.  Property values have risen quite nicely lately.

One other underreported aspect is the fact that there has been the addition of short-term/vacation rental demand in areas nearby the Beltline.  For instance, Poncey-Highlands was recently named on of the 15 fastest growing Airbnb markets in the world.

If there are investors looking to pursue a short-term rental investment strategy in the area, feel free to direct message me or call me. I have some experienced individuals in the area who can help you get the place rented out while you are out of state.

See this reply in the discussion

80 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    So, now my posts about developments in the Beltline area are being removed, saying that I'm advertising and that I should pay to get a PRO account. I guess I will no longer give on information about this area.

  • Alpharetta, GA · Member since 2015 · 44 posts · 23 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Michaela G.:

    So, now my posts about developments in the Beltline area are being removed, saying that I'm advertising and that I should pay to get a PRO account. I guess I will no longer give on information about this area.

    That's ridiculous, I just saw those posts a little while ago which were links to articles about the Beltline which I found interesting, they were not advertising in any way. @Mindy Jensen can you look into this please.

  • Mindy JensenPro Member
    BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    8y

    Hi @Michaela G. . I'm not sure why that post was removed. I've republished it.

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    @Mindy Jensen , thank you!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.