What drives you crazy about HGTV shows?

What drives you crazy about HGTV shows?

Bruce WoodruffPro Member
Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes

Here's one of my pet peeves......watching a House Hunters show right now and this couple doesn't like a perfectly beautiful house because of the paint colors in one of the bedrooms.......really?

4Reply
153 views

Most Popular Reply

Chris MasonPro Member
Moderator
Lender · CA · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 10k+ votes
3y

Husband: lizard breeder

Wife: volunteer yoga instructor 

Budget: $2,500,000

See this reply in the discussion

38 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Property Manager · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2022 · 269 posts · 135 votes
    3y

    It's unnecessary drama! 

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    OP
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Lisa Wright:

    I just wish they would really show us how to do the repairs.  Walk me through it.  


     A lot of them are just not very good. One of the reasons I watch them is to make fun of the work. You're better off watching YT. Or call me...

  • Wadsworth, OH · Member since 2021 · 110 posts · 91 votes
    3y

    This is why my wife and I don’t even keep a TV in our house :)

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    OP
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Mose Gebremeskel:

    I feel the same way. We watch House Hunters International and for some reason, they constantly pick the house that makes the least sense lol. 


     I know, right....? And for the wildest reasons. And do they purposely pick couples that don't agree on anything? It's always one wants a modern townhome outside the city and the other wants a quaint old craftsman home right in the downtown district. What...?

  • Real Estate Agent · Metro Detroit · Member since 2022 · 66 posts · 28 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:
    Quote from @Lisa Wright:

    I just wish they would really show us how to do the repairs.  Walk me through it.  


     A lot of them are just not very good. One of the reasons I watch them is to make fun of the work. You're better off watching YT. Or call me...

    I wish you lived closer.  I'd try to come help with projects.  I learn by doing! 
  • Honolulu, HI · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y
    Aloha,

    They never seem to test for, much less properly remediate, LBP and asbestos. They also are very often not following safe practices. I did read somewhere that the "Fixer Upper" group paid a whopping fine for numerous violations on some 30 homes though. 
  • Investor · Fort Worth · Member since 2019 · 57 posts · 16 votes
    3y

    Oh my gosh!!!! The Property Brothers!!! Their black shirts and perfectly quaffed hair seem to never get dirty from all the walls they are taking down.... It must be magical drywall. I take off one piece of trim and I've got black boogs for days (jk. But also, you know what I mean). I've also been in the company of many contractors. None of which have the belt. That stupid belt. 😒

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    OP
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y

    U also love when the host of the show, particularly some cute young girl, picks up a sledgehammer and starts demo. You know darn well that they do one (very clumsy) swing for the camera and then run away screaming.....

  • Investor · Fort Washington, MD · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    Nothing really drives me crazy about the shows per se. It's entertainment and they clearly provide that. To me it's just another facet of the reality show world. The problem is much of it's fake and unrealistically provides a portrait of this game to the point that real developers see it as a laughable joke. The newbies  already have a preconceived notion that this is get rich quick or some kind of MLM aspect you can pick up and put down with ease. Even in here someone wakes up every day and proclaims themselves an instant real estate investor. I know it sounds sexy as hell. How many of those first time posters even return to see the answers?    """"""""I'm new and I plan on getting 200 doors in 3 months, fire my boss and walk the earth in bliss; where do i start????""""""".    HGTV helps fuel attitudes like this. Yes, its great to buy a house, bring in labors, bang it out in 3 weeks for 80k profit.  Sounds damn good to anyone but they left out thousands of steps and considerations in between. I guess that's more on the individual to figure out. I don't blame the casino for gamblers losing savings. However it's like I said, good for entertainment and occasionally ok design ideas! This is America, land of free enterprise and the hustle................

  • Rental Property Investor · Rochester, MN · Member since 2017 · 224 posts · 323 votes
    3y

    @Bruce Woodruff

    The fact that they get a reno done in 30 minutes. It took me at least a year to do my first one….maybe they just use really good contractors for those shows….

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    OP
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Andrew Carlson:

    @Bruce Woodruff

    The fact that they get a reno done in 30 minutes. It took me at least a year to do my first one….maybe they just use really good contractors for those shows….


    The customers pick up on this too. I've had a few ask me why XYZ was taking so long, when they just saw a show on HGTV where the Contractor did it in one day.....

  • Investor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2022 · 113 posts · 71 votes
    3y

    Most of it is staged and I lose a few IQ points when I watch them 0.o

    Oh, can't forget about the fake drama lol

    There are some good ones out there I am sure but most of them aren't the best.

    The OG one with Chip and Joanna Gaines I always enjoyed. Not 100% of the time but they were the best and didn't go crazy with trying to stage/create drama.

    Most of the shows are just for entertainment purposes and don't help investors in anyway.

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    OP
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y

    We just watched one where both the husband and wife were Doctors. I have never seen such unintelligent people in my life......no comprehension of how anything in a house works.....

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.