Do you stay away from rentals with no Central Air?

Do you stay away from rentals with no Central Air?

Member since 2022 · 21 posts · 22 votes

Hi BP, because of my budget for real estate I am working with, a lot of the properties I am looking at do not have central air. In anybody's experience, does this factor into people renting your property? Do people tend to stay away from properties without central air? I know there are window units, but not sure how those are perceived with renters. IMO, if I was renting, and have kids Id stay away from places without central air. Thoughts? 

1Reply
43 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2021 · 9k+ posts · 5k+ votes
3y

This depends on the immediate market & neighborhood you are buying in, and what prices you are charging for rents. If you are charging the same as other property that are run off of window units, you won't have an issue. 

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2021 · 9k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    This depends on the immediate market & neighborhood you are buying in, and what prices you are charging for rents. If you are charging the same as other property that are run off of window units, you won't have an issue. 

  • Technology · Dallas, TX · Member since 2022 · 462 posts · 296 votes
    3y

    As a former renter from a LL who retrofitted a central air system to replace window units: no.

    The window units performed better than the central air system. It was a very drafty 1930s build.

    BiggerPockets
  • Member since 2021 · 166 posts · 113 votes
    3y

    @Aaron Breckenridge Did you have to open up walls to install the ducts and returns? How invasive was it? How long did the retrofit take?

  • Technology · Dallas, TX · Member since 2022 · 462 posts · 296 votes
    3y

    It was a 1930s duplex, so plaster instead of drywall, but they didn’t cut the walls. They just cut new supply and returns in the ceiling. 2-3 day job.

    I spoke with an HVAC contractor for a house job, and he wanted to do all sorts of crazy unnecessary things, like putting new supply vents in a hardwood floor, and retrofitting an AC just for the master bedroom. He was also worried that the existing supply ducts would be rotted out since they’re in a crawl space, but they were fine.

    I eventually found another guy here via the Classifieds forum and was really happy with the outcome.

    BiggerPockets
  • Member since 2021 · 166 posts · 113 votes
    3y

    That's a great outcome. Thanks for the backing info.

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    3y

    It depends on where the house is and what the typical rental is.  I don't have AC in my house and it is fine. I also have higher ceilings and know how to keep the heat out.  I live in an area where we go get temps in the mid-30s (low 90s), but it cools off at night and isn't humid.

  • Alecia LovelessPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    @David Ingram I feel it depends in part on your location as well as your neighborhood.

    I’m in New Hampshire and most houses don’t have central AC. So up here no issues.

    I remember certain areas growing up in northern Texas where older houses also used window units. But all of the newer neighborhoods obviously had central air conditioning.

    If it’s not common where you’re buying you should be fine but if you’re looking at the only property in a neighborhood without I wouldn’t recommend buying it.

  • Member since 2022 · 21 posts · 22 votes
    3y

    Thank you all for the responses. I ended up signing a contract with my first rental today. I chose a house with less than 800 sq ft. I am going to buy a couple window ac units and call it a day and hope for the best. Thanks all!

  • Member since 2021 · 166 posts · 113 votes
    3y

    If you have a PM, make sure they do the install on behalf of the tenant. In other words, don't let the tenant install or remove it to remove risk of damaging the windows.

  • Real Estate Agent · Kansas City · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

    Typically in our area anything with 2 or less beds (sub 900 SQ Ft) window units would work. I would check with PM's see what they think. If it gets super hot in the summer it could be a little different. Also anything in B-A areas typically will need central A/C

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.