Votes
Kyle Trotman
  • Kennesaw, GA
Votes |
Inexpensive Ways to Avoid Spending THOUSANDS on Repairs

Kyle Trotman
  • Kennesaw, GA
Posted May 18 2023, 15:38

Hey guys! A little backstory that inspired me to write this post! 

I went on a call today to a house an women had been renting for the past 14 years. She claims to never go downstairs because of the stairs but she heard dripping water. The basement was completely destroyed! The waste and overflow of her bathtub cracked and was leaking water downstairs every time she would shower! Remediation and repairs for this landlords basement will definitely not be cheap! Below I made a list of simple items you can purchase to check and prevent any leaks and problems on your plumbing!

1. Water Pressure Gauge: Water pressure levels should be in between 40psi-80psi and can be checked at your water heater or hose bib if it is regulated. All fixtures in homes are rated for a max pressure of 80psi! Increased pressure can put strain on fixtures and will increase the risk of pipe bursts and leaks. Some signs of high pressure are where a toilet will run randomly or a faucet will drip that won't stop. 

2. Water Alarms or leak detectors: These are small devices that emit a loud sound when they come into contact with water. My recommendation would to put one near any fixture or appliance that runs high volumes of water. Some examples I'd include would be the water heater, sump pump, dishwasher, and in the laundry room.

3. Drain strainers: You would not believe what I see having been put down garbage disposals, flushed down toilets, and stuck in showers. (I'll save you guys the details on that!) Aside from informing tenants of what not to put down drains, basket strainers and hair catchers are a simple way to avoid normal ware and tear in your drain lines. This is especially helpful for older homes who may still be on original drain line (cast iron, terracotta, galvanized, Orangeburg).   

4. Water Meter Key: This is essentially is tee handle rod for those who may not have seen one. This is used to shut off the water to the entire property at your city meter. Educate your tenants on how to shut off water in an emergency or if other shutoffs in are inaccessible. This tool is super cheap and may give you a little more peace of mind knowing your tenants can turn off your properties water if a leak were to ever happen. 

Water damage can have a significant impact on both homeowners and investors. It can lead to costly repairs, property devaluation, and potential health hazards. Be proactive and not reactive when it comes to plumbing in your investments! Feel free to reach out and hope this helps!

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied May 19 2023, 04:42
Quote from @Kyle Trotman:

I went on a call today to a house an women had been renting for the past 14 years. She claims to never go downstairs because of the stairs but she heard dripping water. The basement was completely destroyed! The waste and overflow of her bathtub cracked and was leaking water downstairs every time she would shower! Remediation and repairs for this landlords basement will definitely not be cheap! Below I made a list of simple items you can purchase to check and prevent any leaks and problems on your plumbing!

1. Water Pressure Gauge: Water pressure levels should be in between 40psi-80psi and can be checked at your water heater or hose bib if it is regulated. All fixtures in homes are rated for a max pressure of 80psi! Increased pressure can put strain on fixtures and will increase the risk of pipe bursts and leaks. Some signs of high pressure are where a toilet will run randomly or a faucet will drip that won't stop. 

2. Water Alarms or leak detectors: These are small devices that emit a loud sound when they come into contact with water. My recommendation would to put one near any fixture or appliance that runs high volumes of water. Some examples I'd include would be the water heater, sump pump, dishwasher, and in the laundry room.

3. Drain strainers: You would not believe what I see having been put down garbage disposals, flushed down toilets, and stuck in showers. (I'll save you guys the details on that!) Aside from informing tenants of what not to put down drains, basket strainers and hair catchers are a simple way to avoid normal ware and tear in your drain lines. This is especially helpful for older homes who may still be on original drain line (cast iron, terracotta, galvanized, Orangeburg).   

4. Water Meter Key: This is essentially is tee handle rod for those who may not have seen one. This is used to shut off the water to the entire property at your city meter. Educate your tenants on how to shut off water in an emergency or if other shutoffs in are inaccessible. This tool is super cheap and may give you a little more peace of mind knowing your tenants can turn off your properties water if a leak were to ever happen. 

Water damage can have a significant impact on both homeowners and investors. It can lead to costly repairs, property devaluation, and potential health hazards. Be proactive and not reactive when it comes to plumbing in your investments! Feel free to reach out and hope this helps!

Thanks for sharing this. The leak detection devices as you mentioned are inexpensive and can save thousands, always recommend for any water device especially water heaters and dishwashers. 

User Stats

Votes
Henry T.
Pro Member
#4 Land & New Construction Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
#4 Land & New Construction Contributor
Replied May 22 2023, 09:35
Quote from @Kyle Trotman:

good advice. regular inspections don't hurt either.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Kyle Mccaw
  • Property Manager
  • Keller, TX
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Keller, TX
Replied May 23 2023, 12:50

@Kyle Trotman great post. Yes this is why we visit our rentals multiple times per year. And then hold tenants accountable for issues they cause.

It amazes me how many landlords never enter their property during the term of a lease.

• Property Manager TX (#0562767)

McCaw Property Management Logo