Dealing with squatters the hard way?

Dealing with squatters the hard way?

Member since 2018 · 9 posts · 2 votes

I recently bought a property in the City of Detroit from an auction, and it turns out there's a squatter there. Talked to both of the next door neighbors and apparently this lady (with kids 😮‍💨🤯) broke in and set up house only two months ago. This means that she has zero legal right to the property in any way.

According to House Bills 5069, 5070 & 5071, squatting is a crime in Michigan. Also, I would be within my rights to get in there, change the locks and make sure she won't be able to break in again.

My question is, do the police even enforce this? How likely is it that they'll even charge her for squatting? Better yet, would they be able to physically remove her themselves? This is the first time I've dealt with squatters so I am hoping to hear from people who've been there and done that. 

I am not at all willing to do a cash-for-keys deal, nor am I willing to go through the eviction process (especially in the City of Detroit). Also, I have not approached the squatters yet; I will once the deed work is done. I am just planning for the worst case scenario, since people have proven to be wildly unreasonable.

Doesnt seem like I have many options. Again, this is my first squatter situation so I would love to hear any input on how this whole situation can be handled.

0Reply
129 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
3y
Quote from @Bruno Alhasson:

I recently bought a property in the City of Detroit from an auction, and it turns out there's a squatter there. Talked to both of the next door neighbors and apparently this lady (with kids 😮‍💨🤯) broke in and set up house only two months ago. This means that she has zero legal right to the property in any way.

According to House Bills 5069, 5070 & 5071, squatting is a crime in Michigan. Also, I would be within my rights to get in there, change the locks and make sure she won't be able to break in again.

My question is, do the police even enforce this? How likely is it that they'll even charge her for squatting? Better yet, would they be able to physically remove her themselves? This is the first time I've dealt with squatters so I am hoping to hear from people who've been there and done that. 

I am not at all willing to do a cash-for-keys deal, nor am I willing to go through the eviction process (especially in the City of Detroit). Also, I have not approached the squatters yet; I will once the deed work is done. I am just planning for the worst case scenario, since people have proven to be wildly unreasonable.

Doesnt seem like I have many options. Again, this is my first squatter situation so I would love to hear any input on how this whole situation can be handled.


 lol you're not willing to go through the eviction process? You're in the wrong business my man.

See this reply in the discussion

28 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Sally FairchildPro Member
    Investor · Newport Beach, CA · Member since 2016 · 106 posts · 84 votes
    3y

    @Bruno Alhasson

    This is what I'd do.

    1. First call would be to file a report to child protective services. You are concerned about the children's care, and that they are living as squatters

    2. Second I'd call county probation and parole and see if she is currently on probation or parole. This would be a probation/parole violation.

    3. Third I'd check with police to see if she has warrants.

    You aren't the first person she has scammed and you won't be the last.

    Make her life difficult and she will move on to easier prey. That is just the hard realities of life. I feel sorry for the kids.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Bruno Alhasson:
    Quote from @Wendy Patton:

    @Bruno Alhasson that can work just fine if that person doesn't know the law - we do have squatters rights ..... go figure and how does that make sense?  anyway, contract the police first to see if they will do anything -  if not call an attorney - i can recommend one if you want - but I would recommend you follow the rules.....it's a problem in Detroit in some areas.  It's part of the biz unfortunately.  I had a tenant in a place and the writ was issued the day before the moratorium hit in Detroit for no evictions.  I couldn't evict after that even though her eviction had nothing to do with Covid. She lived there for over 2 more years!  RENT FREE!  and who did that hurt?  yep the rich landlord me while the deadbeat got to use the system.  Don't get me started....oh you did :-)


    Sad how much leniency there is for people who abuse the system. 

    I would appreciate an attorney recommendation. The more the merrier. The ones I've called so far have already been a pain to deal with.


     YOu risk getting shot.. if you attempt to do this yourself.. its a real risk. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Auburn Hills, MI · Member since 2022 · 45 posts · 67 votes
    2y

    You said you don't want to do cash for keys or eviction, those are the only choices you have. Yes, eviction is enforceable in Detroit, you will need to contact a baliff after the eviction is final, this will take some time, honestly your best bet is cash for keys unless she leaves. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.