Foothill Ranch, CA · Member since 2020 · 12 posts · 3 votes
Good afternoon everyone,
I am looking to invest/buy in Fort Wayne and other areas of Indiana. I am new to this and looking for anyone with suggestions with lenders, property managers etc.
I live in CA and also considering buying an investment property in Fort Wayne. Have you used the Find Lender tool here on Bigger Pockets? That’s what I used and recently got pre-qualified. I’m just getting started so I need to focus on building my core-4.
I am looking to invest/buy in Out of State homes, specifically, Ohio, and Indiana. I am looking for suggestions for lenders, property managers etc, and Realtors that I would be able to connect with.
Rental Property Investor · Fort Wayne, IN · Member since 2019 · 132 posts · 51 votes
2y
Hey Jose! I'm an investor in Indiana (Fort Wayne, Warsaw, Indy). One of the best ways to get started is to build partnerships. Relationships are key.
If you do have a deal of some kind under contract, and have a specific question, I'd be happy to assist. Otherwise, connect with me and others in the area and develop relationships.
You can DM me here, or track me down on social media (see my profile here for links). Have a great night!
I live in CA and also considering buying an investment property in Fort Wayne. Have you used the Find Lender tool here on Bigger Pockets? That’s what I used and recently got pre-qualified. I’m just getting started so I need to focus on building my core-4.
Rental Property Investor · Fort Wayne, IN · Member since 2019 · 132 posts · 51 votes
2y
@Monisa Croxton Hi Monisa! I'm active in the Fort Wayne market and a member of the local REIA. If I can be of assistance, let me know. DM me on my socials (which you can find on my profile here).
Lender · Riverside, CA · Member since 2017 · 248 posts · 98 votes
2y
@Jose Perez I'm an out of state investor too (CA is too expensive!) I'm happy to talk with you about what it's been like on my journey so far. I'm a lender as well, as an investor. I think for me, the best way to get started in a new market is with a real estate agent. They have truly been my gateway to contractors, neighborhood guidance and property managers. Good luck on journey! I'd love to connect!
Hi! I invest in both the San Francisco Bay Area and Indianapolis area. I've visited Fort Wayne before. I can't say this often enough to California investors looking OOS, do lots of research. Just when you think you've done enough research do more. One start is to do a Google Map search of the properties you're considering (Google map is sometimes outdated from 2019). What's surrounding the area? Railroad tracks, nuclear power plant, factories, good schools, etc. Is it run down looking? Crime rates?
Talk to several local investors who see what's going on in the city everyday (for balanced opinions since they're not trying to sell you anything), contractors and property management companies get their feedback on renovation costs, repairs, rental rates for properties you're looking at, etc. The analysis you get from turnkey companies, agents etc, with their "cash flow" numbers and appreciation, cash on cash return are ideal scenarios. I bought what was supposed to cash flow positive on paper but I'm losing money every month and I don't think it will appreciate enough in 5 to 10 years to make up for my expenses.
Read my post in the link below. It's not sunshine and puppies. Proceed with caution. Have plenty of cash reserves and realistic expectations. Feel free to DM me if you have questions :)
Foothill Ranch, CA · Member since 2020 · 12 posts · 3 votes
2y
Hi Monica,
Sorry to hear you have had some bad experiences with your real estate investing. I would love to invest here in california, however, our politicians have pushed legislation so that renters have more "rights" over the owner/landlord. I have a few friends who are tied up court trying to get their now squatters evicted and spending thousands to get their property back-unreal! I appreciate your honesty. I am well aware there are several draw backs to investing in state and out of state. I am trying to do my do due diligence correctly and hopefully avoid some issues. I know some may happen, but I hope to have backup plans in place. Reaching out to others here on BP has been a tremendous help. I still learning, and meeting new people. And, I am still apprehensive, but I am ready to move forward. Good luck to you. I hope things get better for you.
Sorry to hear you have had some bad experiences with your real estate investing. I would love to invest here in california, however, our politicians have pushed legislation so that renters have more "rights" over the owner/landlord. I have a few friends who are tied up court trying to get their now squatters evicted and spending thousands to get their property back-unreal! I appreciate your honesty. I am well aware there are several draw backs to investing in state and out of state. I am trying to do my do due diligence correctly and hopefully avoid some issues. I know some may happen, but I hope to have backup plans in place. Reaching out to others here on BP has been a tremendous help. I still learning, and meeting new people. And, I am still apprehensive, but I am ready to move forward. Good luck to you. I hope things get better for you.
I live in CA and also considering buying an investment property in Fort Wayne. Have you used the Find Lender tool here on Bigger Pockets? That’s what I used and recently got pre-qualified. I’m just getting started so I need to focus on building my core-4.
Good luck!
Hi Monisa, I am in the process of finding a good lender and real estate agent to start this process and move forward. Good luck to you as well!