Diary of a Rental Property

Diary of a Rental Property

Sharad M.Pro Member
Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes

Hello all,

After reading @J Scott very inspiring Diary of a New Construction, I thought it would be a good idea to start a Diary of a Rental Property to document the process I go through in my area to get a property move in ready and then get it rented.

@Joshua D. I hope I have this in the correct forum, if not, can you please move it to where it belongs?

I hope this post will keep me accountable and I hope to receive some feedback on where I can improve my processes.

I will try to update this as often as I can with as much detail as possible. Here we go.

Below are some details of the property:

Asking Price - $29,900

Initial Offer - $25,000

There were multiple offers on this one and I went with my highest and best at $30,000 and the offer was accepted.

This is a 2 bed/1 bath with basement.

It last sold for $82,500 back in Oct 2005.

Expected monthly rent - $745-$845

When I purchased the property, the utilities had been shut off for more than 90 days and in my area the utility company requires a city inspection before the utilities can be turned on.

I had the city inspection this week and everything was fine and the gas and electric is scheduled to be turned on this Friday, Feb 21, 2014. I will have to schedule with the water department separately once gas and electric has been turned on. My maintenance guy is on call this Friday to meet the utility company at the house, because the utility company can show up anytime between 8 AM-4 PM with 15-20 minutes call ahead.

I will post inside pictures with rehab estimate tomorrow or Friday.

3Reply
56 views

Most Popular Reply

Smyrna, GA · Member since 2014 · 5 posts · 1 vote
12y

@Sharad M. 

 This unit looks awesome. How did you settle on your specific market in Indiana (what factors did you use to determine that it was a good market)? Also, how do you differentiate between good neighborhoods and war zones?

Thanks! I'm a big fan of your remodels.

See this reply in the discussion

35 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    Those look like great numbers, @Sharad M. ! Any major repairs needed or just minor stuff? Looking forward to seeing more!

  • Sharad M.Pro Member
    OP
    Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    Thank you @Brandon Turner no major repairs. I will post more pictures and numbers in a day or two.

    This market is great for rental properties. This house is in a B area.

    City - Hammond, IN 46324.

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    12y

    Nice looking house. Aggressive bidding stategy, I like it, too many folks want to tip toe around and then never get the deal.

  • Investor/Realtor · Hoover, AL · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 459 votes
    12y

    @Sharad M. ...Nice! The roof looks new..Even if you have to put 5K in still good ROI...How quickly does a 2br rent in the area? I usually don't buy 2br unless I can convert to 3br, because they are a little harder to rent in my market..

  • Calumet City, IL · Member since 2014 · 312 posts · 49 votes
    12y

    Looking forward to seeing this. My wife and I made offers on two properties in Hammond, IN before we ended up with the one in calumet city.

  • Sharad M.Pro Member
    OP
    Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    @James Wise You are right, I am aggressive with my strategy. I did approx. 50 deals last year and my goal is to do better this year, so I can't afford to lose a house over $1,000 bucks here or there. It's not worth doing all the due diligence and than getting outbid by a small amount.

    @Rolanda Eldridge We have never really had a big problem renting a 2 bedroom. For a house like this, we will probably get a single parent with 1-2 kids and this size house will be perfect for them.

    @Jarrett Harris I love Hammond and all of Lake County, IN. I am doing a deal in Calumet City, IL also, which is supposed to close on Wednesday. Did you get outbid in Hammond or didn't like the properties? Where were they at? Just curious.

  • Calumet City, IL · Member since 2014 · 312 posts · 49 votes
    12y

    @ Sharad

    Did not like the properties.

    The first one we bid on looked really good on the outside had a low price, and was supposed to be fully rented and had a garage. When my wife and I actually went to view the property we found out that the supposed 2 bed 1 bath units actually weren't bedrooms. The rooms were so small they had no closet space. The building was actually only 50% occupied. It is still for sale.

    http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/6404-06-Jefferson-Ave_Hammond_IN_46324_M41729-71010?row=8

    The other property we bid on was pretty decent but not worth the asking price. Even though a lot of updates have been done, there were still more issues that needed addressing. The tenants (in my opinion) are getting a break on their rent. THe place is still for sale, Over priced by about 25 grand in my opinion.

    http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/8-Waltham-St_Hammond_IN_46320_M46252-08262?row=3

  • Sharad M.Pro Member
    OP
    Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    Before pictures..

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    Sharad, what you started here is awesome.

    The inside pics don't look too shabby. Good numbers too. I think you'll rent this place in a hurry. I use rent.com, rentalhouses.com and craigslist.org to fill up our vacancies.

    If I find a potential rental deal in Hammond IN I will wholesale it to you. :-)

  • Sharad M.Pro Member
    OP
    Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    @Wendell De Guzman

    Thanks, I appreciate it. It's not a bad house at all. Got a pretty decent deal on it.

    If you find anything in Lake County, IN, please let me know. I have a very wide criteria, so I might be interested in anything from a $10,000 rental house to $250,000 fix and flip.

  • Sharad M.Pro Member
    OP
    Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    Inside video:

    Outside video:

  • Real Estate Investor · Lincoln, NE · Member since 2013 · 584 posts · 353 votes
    12y

    Good looking place and good numbers. I'll bet there isn't much need to get it move in ready for a tenant.

    Thanks for sharing.

  • Sharad M.Pro Member
    OP
    Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    You're welcome @Wade Sikkink

    The scope of work is:

    1. Paint throughout
    2. Remove carpet and refinish hardwood
    3. New flooring in kitchen
    4. New siding for the garage
    5. New garage door opener
    6. Install smoke and CO detectors
    7. Check all plumbing and electric in the house. Repair/replace as needed.
    8. Check hot water tank
    9. Check furnace
    10. Final punch list to get property move-in ready
    11. Final cleaning

    I should have the pricing next week

    Today was an unexciting day. Utility company came out and turned the gas and electric on. Now the water is scheduled to be turned on for Wed, Feb 26.

    Work should start Thursday, Feb 27.

  • Real Estate Agent · Milwaukee County, WI · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 525 votes
    12y

    @Sharad M. thanks for video pics and congrat

    Garage looks like it needs work

  • Sharad M.Pro Member
    OP
    Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    Today I met with my contractor at the house to look at the flooring under the carpet. The flooring under the living room/hallway is good, so I am going to leave the hardwood. Bedroom # 1 needs new flooring, so I am going to put carpet and to make both bedrooms consistent, I will put carpet in Bedroom # 2 also, even though Bedroom # 2 has good hardwood flooring.

    Bedroom # 1

    Living room/Hallway

    The interior work is tentatively scheduled to start Thursday.

  • Mark S.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · KY · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 537 votes
    12y
    Sharad M. , where did you find this deal? Was it a foreclosure or what? Sounds like an amazing deal. I need one like that!
  • Sharad M.Pro Member
    OP
    Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    @Mark S. In my market there are plenty of deals like this. Last week I closed on 2 deals and I have 10 similar deals scheduled to close over next 2-3 weeks..

    Info for deals closed this past week:

    1) 2 bed/1 bath with detached garage. FSBO. Asking - $39,900. $27,000 purchase price. Repair - $1,000-$2,000. Rent - $700-$750. I have attached HUD statement to show closing cost breakdown for my market.

    2) 3 bed/2 bath with attached garage. Asking - $36,000. MLS. $33,000 purchase price. Repair - $12,000-$15,000. Rent - $1,000

  • Contractor · Easton, PA · Member since 2013 · 152 posts · 58 votes
    12y

    @Sharad M. What is the square footage of the home? When I calculate job cost I mostly use square footage costs. For example this 2 bedroom ranch has 600 sf of hardwood flooring. I pay $2/sf to refinish hw flooring or $1200. Painting the same t home I assume has about 800 total sf so paint would be 800x2 which is $1600. I already blew the budget. I just bought paint for a home today. $360.

  • Sharad M.Pro Member
    OP
    Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    @Martin Zawarski The one that I started the forum for is 730 sq ft 2 bed/1 bath

    The one I purchased for $27k is 700 sq ft 2 bed/1 bath

    The one I purchased for $33k is 1,300 sq ft 3 bed/2 bath

    None of the sq ft above include the garage space.

  • Mark S.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · KY · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 537 votes
    12y

    @Sharad M.

    You're a machine! I love it. Motivation for me to get started. I've been mainly looking at MLS and REOs. Occasionally, I'll look in our local paper and there are some FSBOs. I just can't find anything where the numbers work.

    Do you do this full-time? Is there a lot of competition for these properties in your market? What type of neighborhoods are these properties primarily in?

  • Sharad M.Pro Member
    OP
    Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    @Mark S. Yes, I do work full-time. There is competition, but that might be more so because of low inventory. These are B/C neighborhoods.

  • Mark S.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · KY · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 537 votes
    12y

    @Sharad M.


    You work another full-time job or you invest in real estate full time?

  • Sharad M.Pro Member
    OP
    Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Mark S.:
    @Sharad M.

    You work another full-time job or you invest in real estate full time?

    Sorry, I meant I do real estate full time with no other day job.

  • Sharad M.Pro Member
    OP
    Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    Some pricing update:

    1) New flooring in kitchen and bathroom - $600 (including material). Work to begin (and hopefully finish) tomorrow. Below is the flooring choice:

    Kitchen flooring

    Bathroom flooring

    2) Paint - White ceiling, white doors and trims and neutral for walls. Paint kitchen cabinets white. $1,600 (including material)

    Paint color

    3) New siding for the garage and some minor structural work - $2,400

    4) New carpet for bedroom - Waiting estimate

    Should have some update pictures tomorrow.

  • Sharad M.Pro Member
    OP
    Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    New flooring in the kitchen. This flooring looks great and seems to be very durable. My handyman who is putting this has had same flooring in his bathroom and he said the floor still looks like new.

    I was going to put a different flooring in the bathroom, but this looks so good that I am going to use the same for bathroom now.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.