New Constructions or Older Homes: Seeking Expert Advice for Next Investment Move

New Constructions or Older Homes: Seeking Expert Advice for Next Investment Move

Member since 2024 · 18 posts · 4 votes

Hello BP Community,

I am a new member, an out-of-state investor, and currently self-manage two new construction properties in Georgia. I am considering my next investment and need advice.

I am contemplating between buying a new construction in good markets like Marietta, Lawrenceville, or going for older single-family homes in areas like Covington, Conyers, Loganville. My budget for this year in cash is $100k that can be used towards downpayment, closing costs, fix small things, property management fees, lender fees etc and rest will be looking for conventional financing as of now.

New constructions offer better interest rates, minimal maintenance costs for 2-3 years, and potential for self-management due to higher rents. However, the high purchase price is a concern. Older properties could allow for a higher quantity of investments and potentially more cash flow, but I lack experience with these and would consider working with investor friendly realtor and property managers.

I would greatly appreciate any advice on:

  1. New constructions vs. older homes.
  2. Self-managing or working with a property manager.
  3. Identifying promising locations for long-term rental investments.

Thank you in advance for your time and help.

2Reply
21 views

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Realtor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2021 · 239 posts · 120 votes
    2y

    @Pratik Kochar Welcome to BP & congrats on your investment achievements so far! I'm curious though, are you leaning more towards cash flow or growing your equity over time? This will help a bit more with offering better advice.

    For property management: A big plus is it takes the day-to-day stress off your plate, especially from out of state. The downside? The fees can dip into your profits and eat at your cash flow.

    For older homes: The upside is they offer the chance for more cash flow and equity through smart upgrades. The challenge lies in managing renovations and the surprise costs that can come with them over time.

    New construction, on the other hand, tends to be simpler with less immediate maintenance and potentially better loan rates, but you may have to accept a slightly lower cash flow due to higher purchase prices.

    In the Atlanta area, there are several hotspots for new builds with great long-term investment potential, as well as older homes you will need to pinpoint which type to best advise here.

    Hope that helps streamline your decision-making!

  • Michael SmytheBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Metro Detroit · Member since 2023 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y

    @Pratik Kochar it really comes down to cashflow versus appreciation.

    Class A properties, which a new build should be, rarely cashflow from day one. You'll pay top of the market price and with the current mortgage rates, it's unlikely your payment will be covered by rent. The negative cashflow is offset by the higher relative appreciation potential. 

    Class B properties are older homes, but really where most landlords focus. You will cashflow faster than Class A, sometimes even from day 1. Appreciation won't be as high as with Class A, unless you buy in a gentrifying area.

    Class C properties are not typically for newbies. They are typically bought for cashflow with a little appreciation.

    Class D - don't even think about it!

    Logical Property Management4.9454 Reviews
  • Investor · Arroyo Grande, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    Hey Pratik, I'm personally not a fan of new construction because there is no value-add. It's great to have real estate exposure but you're missing a big part of the benefits if you aren't creating equity out the gate.

    I invest in Detroit where the housing stock is older. Honestly, it's not as big of a deal as people make it out to be as long as you're addressing mechanicals, or you're prepared to. Updating plumbing, electrical, etc. is not as expensive as most folks think, especially in smaller homes that are abundant in the Detroit market.

    You also have the budget to do BRRRR's in a market like Detroit, but please don't try and go that route on your own.

    Happy to discuss the opportunities in the market there and/or send you some resources. I own 12-doors in Detroit myself and stay extremely active there outside of my own stuff.

  • Real Estate Agent · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    @Pratik Kochar, how are your two new construction properties performing? It sounds like you know which avenue to take based on experience and risk tolerance. While speculative, I'd recommend sticking with new construction and refinancing if rates come down in several years. Buying in A/B-class markets like Marietta and Lawrenceville will not require property management as long as you properly screen prospective tenants. Needless to say, if you do continue to scale, it's best advised to hire a property manager. Otherwise, your investments will soon become a full-time job. It's not always the case, but many property managers will provide a discount if you bring them a portfolio to manage—something to keep in mind moving forward. 

    Stick with those A/B-class markets for peace of mind, especially since you live out of state. C-class markets are C-class for a reason. No growth, job security, new infrastructure, poor school systems, lack of policy enforcement, etc. Money is made via appreciation. While it can be implemented successfully, trying to time an up-and-coming market is risky. I'm happy to connect and share insights as an investor-focused real estate agent and Cobb County resident. 

  • Member since 2024 · 18 posts · 4 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Travis Biziorek:

    Hey Pratik, I'm personally not a fan of new construction because there is no value-add. It's great to have real estate exposure but you're missing a big part of the benefits if you aren't creating equity out the gate.

    I invest in Detroit where the housing stock is older. Honestly, it's not as big of a deal as people make it out to be as long as you're addressing mechanicals, or you're prepared to. Updating plumbing, electrical, etc. is not as expensive as most folks think, especially in smaller homes that are abundant in the Detroit market.

    You also have the budget to do BRRRR's in a market like Detroit, but please don't try and go that route on your own.

    Happy to discuss the opportunities in the market there and/or send you some resources. I own 12-doors in Detroit myself and stay extremely active there outside of my own stuff.

    Thanks for the inputs. I would appreciate if you can send some resources to understand the Detroit market. Since I already own two properties in ATL market and thinking to expand it over there for couple of more properties but would love to explore other markets as well.  

  • Member since 2024 · 18 posts · 4 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Michael Dumler:

    @Pratik Kochar, how are your two new construction properties performing? It sounds like you know which avenue to take based on experience and risk tolerance. While speculative, I'd recommend sticking with new construction and refinancing if rates come down in several years. Buying in A/B-class markets like Marietta and Lawrenceville will not require property management as long as you properly screen prospective tenants. Needless to say, if you do continue to scale, it's best advised to hire a property manager. Otherwise, your investments will soon become a full-time job. It's not always the case, but many property managers will provide a discount if you bring them a portfolio to manage—something to keep in mind moving forward. 

    Stick with those A/B-class markets for peace of mind, especially since you live out of state. C-class markets are C-class for a reason. No growth, job security, new infrastructure, poor school systems, lack of policy enforcement, etc. Money is made via appreciation. While it can be implemented successfully, trying to time an up-and-coming market is risky. I'm happy to connect and share insights as an investor-focused real estate agent and Cobb County resident. 

    1st Property I bought in 2022 is 20% value appreciated and yielding a cash flow of $300/month. Other one I bought is yielding cash flow of $200. 

    P.S I got both the properties from builder's lender at around 6% for 30 YR fixed and will be planning for Cash out refinance on 1st property to get 70-80% of my down payment money back and invest those in getting more properties.

    For new construction, I am pretty much confident with my previous experiences and will be a smooth ride for me. But I wanted to explore the Class B properties to diversify my portfolio.


Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.