Investing/Living in Florida Part Time

Investing/Living in Florida Part Time

Member since 2018 · 2 posts · 0 votes

I am looking for some direction into the best markets in Florida where I can utilize the skillsets I have built here in Colorado. I.e. Flipping, developing, wholesaling. Essentially, I am looking for a strong market where I can duplicate my business. Ideally I want to buy something in Florida that I can keep part of the property vacant for me to live in several months every year. I already own property in Colorado, and have a place to call home here. Now, where should I plant my roots in Florida??

0Reply
18 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Orlando · Member since 2024 · 17 posts · 3 votes
    2y

    Hi @Jonathan Krystinak, 

    The Sunshine State welcomes you! I'm also in the business of flipping, developing and wholesaling and am doing well in Orlando. There's so much opportunity here. I also have the down low on a few other markets if you ever want to chat. 

  • Jonathan GreeneBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Madison, NJ · Member since 2016 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    2y

    If you want to do short-term or have kids who like Disney, I like Orlando for the potential scale and the usability of it. If not, I would go closer to water, but not on top of it. You have some interesting markets in FL that are still a little under the radar like Crystal River, but if you want a metro, Tampa/St.Pete is solid and still has inventory.

    But, there are A LOT of wannabe flippers and wholesalers who suck in FL so it is hard to just hop in and get stuff done before you build relationships. I lived there 14 years in FL and still would not trust a contractor for a second job.

    Quiet markets near Sarasota, like Bradenton Beach could also be good.

  • Shawn McCormickPro Member
    Realtor · Central Florida-Orlando · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 892 votes
    2y

    @Jonathan Krystinak Welcome to the forums. I would be happy to talk to you about some Florida markets. I would personally stay away from coastal cities with insurance costs and weather risks. I'm in Orlando and lots of opportunity exists here. It is very competative in both flipping and wholesaling as the eyes of the entire globe are looking at Florida and there are lots of really big players in this sandbox already. You just have to do what other won't do.

    We have an immense STR community here, so you could legitimately do a second/vacation home here and possibly use it as a write off while using it while you're here.

    Best of luck

  • Property Manager · Kissimmee, FL · Member since 2019 · 445 posts · 266 votes
    2y

    @Jonathan Krystinak...I second Orlando, and our area has tons of properties that are designed specifically for for folks who want to spend some time here, and rent them out the rest of the year. We also have lots of demand. 

    WHERE in the Orlando/Disney market will depend on your lifestyle preferences. If you are looking for lively, family-friendly communities with great amenities that are popular with guests year-round, we have lots of those. On the other hand if you prefer a more peaceful area that will also attract guests, our market has communities that are more spread out and may also have a forest or lake view. Drop me a line anytime and I am happy to brainstorm possibilities, as well as provide you with revenue/occupancy potential for the various communities and home types.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.