How To Go About Finding Reasonably Priced Contractors For Flips

How To Go About Finding Reasonably Priced Contractors For Flips

Orange County, CA · Member since 2024 · 4 posts · 2 votes

Greetings Everyone, I'm looking to get bids on my first solo flip in Orange California. I have been getting crazy numbers from contractors and I understand California isn't cheap, but I was hoping to get advice on how to find someone that's reasonable and dependable. 

2Reply
44 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Northeast PA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
2y

When it comes to contractors, or any service for that matter, it pays to remember the following:

There are three kinds of service--you can pick any two:

GOOD - CHEAP - FAST

1.  GOOD service CHEAP won't be FAST

2.  GOOD service FAST won't be CHEAP

3.  FAST service CHEAP won't be GOOD

Keep investing and moving forward!

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Ko KashiwagiPro Member
    Lender · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2022 · 967 posts · 445 votes
    2y

    Hi Gus,

    Are you working with an agent to source deals? Leveraging existing relationship is a great way to expand your network. Checking reviews is also crucial. Some contractors are also willing to give you contact information of their clients so you can talk to them and gain insights.

  • Lender · Redlands, CA · Member since 2017 · 30 posts · 16 votes
    2y

    Hey Gus! I'm currently working with a contactor in Redlands that's absolutely amazing. I don't think he stretches all the way to OC but I can ask him if he has any recommendations for contactors out in that area!

  • Orange County, CA · Member since 2024 · 4 posts · 2 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Ko Kashiwagi:

    Hi Gus,

    Are you working with an agent to source deals? Leveraging existing relationship is a great way to expand your network. Checking reviews is also crucial. Some contractors are also willing to give you contact information of their clients so you can talk to them and gain insights.


     Hey Ko, I'm open to any deals in OC. Yes, I have spoken to a bunch of knowledgeable contractors but the bids have been very high. 

  • Orange County, CA · Member since 2024 · 4 posts · 2 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Harrison Colunga:

    Hey Gus! I'm currently working with a contactor in Redlands that's absolutely amazing. I don't think he stretches all the way to OC but I can ask him if he has any recommendations for contactors out in that area!


     Hey Harrison, Yes I would really appreciate it if you do! 

  • Real Estate Broker · Northeast PA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y

    When it comes to contractors, or any service for that matter, it pays to remember the following:

    There are three kinds of service--you can pick any two:

    GOOD - CHEAP - FAST

    1.  GOOD service CHEAP won't be FAST

    2.  GOOD service FAST won't be CHEAP

    3.  FAST service CHEAP won't be GOOD

    Keep investing and moving forward!

  • Lender · Redlands, CA · Member since 2017 · 30 posts · 16 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Marc Winter:

    When it comes to contractors, or any service for that matter, it pays to remember the following:

    There are three kinds of service--you can pick any two:

    GOOD - CHEAP - FAST

    1.  GOOD service CHEAP won't be FAST

    2.  GOOD service FAST won't be CHEAP

    3.  FAST service CHEAP won't be GOOD

    Keep investing and moving forward!


     This used to be my favorite quote back when I worked for a contractor! It's so accurate!

  • Foreclosure Specialist · Chino Hills, CA · Member since 2017 · 38 posts · 1 vote
    2y

    I have a licensed low cost contractor 

  • Rick GarridoPro Member
    Investor · Long Beach, Ca. · Member since 2022 · 18 posts · 10 votes
    2y

    Orange County is expensive so finding someone cheap is not going to be easy. If they are cheap, they are likely cheap for a reason. Also, everyone's idea of "reasonable" is relative. My contractors provide a great value which is why I use one or the other depending on the work. I factor those prices in my costs for flipping. Sometimes I'm off my numbers but generally speaking you'll get better as you go so consider this a cost of learning the business.

    If you want to find someone "reasonable" I'd go to local meet-ups and ask around for contractor recommendations. Talk to adjacent counties or at the least expensive neighborhoods in the OC (Stanton, Santa Ana etc.) and see if they have contractor recommendations. 

    Good luck!

  • Peter MckernanBusiness Member
    Residential Real Estate Agent · Irvine, CA · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Gus Shahrour:

    Greetings Everyone, I'm looking to get bids on my first solo flip in Orange California. I have been getting crazy numbers from contractors and I understand California isn't cheap, but I was hoping to get advice on how to find someone that's reasonable and dependable. 


     I would really think about what you need the contractor for first.. This a licensed job or a non-licensed job for the scope.. Example, room addition with bathroom, licensed job; just painting, no need for a license (or just flooring, no license). 

    How to find these just like anything ask around and get out there start shopping around talking to agents, wholesalers, investors, and more people that are in the communities.  

    The McKernan Group4.957 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.