Thoughts on Investing really close by international airport

Thoughts on Investing really close by international airport

Member since 2023 · 38 posts · 28 votes

Hi everyone! I recently came across a property near the international airport that seems to have good cash flow potential. I'm curious to hear from those who have invested in airport-adjacent properties for the long term — how has your experience been? Also, for anyone who considered it but chose not to proceed, what made you decide against it? I'd really appreciate hearing both the pros and cons of investing in properties near airports.

3Reply
75 views

Most Popular Reply

Specialist · Long Beach, CA · Member since 2011 · 877 posts · 398 votes
1y

Hey Sino. I own a few rentals near the Memphis international airport. It's a huge FedEx hub. Not sure if my tenants work there or not. But as long as its not directly in the flight path, it will be okay.

See this reply in the discussion

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Long Beach, CA · Member since 2011 · 877 posts · 398 votes
    1y

    Hey Sino. I own a few rentals near the Memphis international airport. It's a huge FedEx hub. Not sure if my tenants work there or not. But as long as its not directly in the flight path, it will be okay.

  • Member since 2023 · 38 posts · 28 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Aristotle Kumpis:

    Hey Sino. I own a few rentals near the Memphis international airport. It's a huge FedEx hub. Not sure if my tenants work there or not. But as long as its not directly in the flight path, it will be okay.


     Thanks for replying Aristotle. When you say as long as its not directly in flight path, meaning - when plane flies over the house? :) 

  • Specialist · Long Beach, CA · Member since 2011 · 877 posts · 398 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Sino U.:
    Quote from @Aristotle Kumpis:

    Hey Sino. I own a few rentals near the Memphis international airport. It's a huge FedEx hub. Not sure if my tenants work there or not. But as long as its not directly in the flight path, it will be okay.


     Thanks for replying Aristotle. When you say as long as its not directly in flight path, meaning - when plane flies over the house? :) 

    Well, if the planes take off and land from east to west, buying a home that is north or south is not directly in the flight path.
  • Real Estate Broker · Memphis, TN · Member since 2020 · 202 posts · 203 votes
    1y

    What market are you referencing? I'd underwrite the deal as any other - make sure you are conformable with the quality & tenant base. It can be a positive for short term rentals (if in a good area) to be near the airport. It can also be an absolutely awful area. Depends on the city & airport. 

  • Member since 2023 · 38 posts · 28 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Reed Rickenbach:

    What market are you referencing? I'd underwrite the deal as any other - make sure you are conformable with the quality & tenant base. It can be a positive for short term rentals (if in a good area) to be near the airport. It can also be an absolutely awful area. Depends on the city & airport. 

    Referring to Austin market  


  • Realtor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2023 · 29 posts · 37 votes
    1y

    @Sino U.,

    I've sold a good many properties near the airport here in Memphis, and it has never been an issue. Not only is the FedEx super hub close by(as @Aristotle Kumpis mentioned), but airports in general are usually near commerce drivers, meaning they work well for finding good tenants. I havent had any clients that have an aversion to being near the airport. 

    Happy to connect and answer any questions you might have! 

    Thanks,
    Patrick

  • James WachobBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Memphis, TN · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 890 votes
    1y

    Hello @Sino U.,

    I have sold and been managing properties that are near the MIA and haven't had any complaints from residents who are living in them. If anything, they love being close by, as most of them are working at FedEx. Our city holds a lot of hidden gems. Please feel free to connect if you have any questions. 

  • Lender · Nationwide · Member since 2024 · 76 posts · 23 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Aristotle Kumpis:

    Hey Sino. I own a few rentals near the Memphis international airport. It's a huge FedEx hub. Not sure if my tenants work there or not. But as long as its not directly in the flight path, it will be okay.


     I was also looking into properties near Memphis International Airport, but how do I know if it's in the flight path?

    Thank you.

  • Realtor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2023 · 29 posts · 37 votes
    1y

    Happy to help answer any questions about the flight path, but in general there aren’t many areas where that is a concern. There are large areas in the direction of the flight paths that do not have dense populations so it’s mostly a non-issue. Happy to connect and point out areas by the airport, and all over the city that have worked well for investors. 
    happy hunting!

  • Dean HarrisBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Memphis, TN · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    This is going to be "City Specifc" in my opinion. In Memphis, TN, we have solid communites to invest in around our airport. Other cities, not so much!

    38116 and 38118 are the areas Im referring to and I have a Podcast where I break down the stats and all details of those areas. I also own over 15 properties in these two zip codes. Happy to share!

    Good Luck!

    CrestCore Realty4.713 Reviews
    View Page
  • Real Estate Agent · Memphis, TN · Member since 2021 · 88 posts · 50 votes
    1y

    Hi Sino!

    I have sold many properties over that way and I have never heard of any issues.

    Good luck!

  • Sam McCormackBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Cincinnati, OH/NKY · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 833 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Sino U.:

    Hi everyone! I recently came across a property near the international airport that seems to have good cash flow potential. I'm curious to hear from those who have invested in airport-adjacent properties for the long term — how has your experience been? Also, for anyone who considered it but chose not to proceed, what made you decide against it? I'd really appreciate hearing both the pros and cons of investing in properties near airports.


     Hey Sino, other than investors, I have a homebuyers buy close to an airport in Northern Ky and don't have an issue with it. Not sure the proximity you are talking about but mine are pretty close. Let me know if you have questions about it

    Sam McCormack Realtor
    View Page
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.