My pickle/real estate woes, help/suggestions

My pickle/real estate woes, help/suggestions

Member since 2023 路 18 posts 路 4 votes


Hi friends!

Looking for help and suggestions- I want to say I have learned my lesson and now know to use a third party to hold funds.

This is my first time working with a private lender/family member. This is my third year investing with my mini me 12 year old and this is our 5th deal.

My 12 year old found us a great deal- I teamed up with my friend and family member agreed to pay purchase and renovations. House was purchased August 2024 6k sq ft 9 bedroom distressed home for 66k ARV around 330k in the middle of renovations all of the sudden the bank accounts are frozen and we now have no funds to finish renovation. His bank account and our bank account is frozen and they just give us a scripted message saying funds will be released once investigation is over. This was months ago and family member has lawyered up to see what's going on we did continue working until we ran out of credit card figuring once the money is released we could just pay off the cards but the money is still on hold

Back in October we decided that money does not exist and started applying for hard money loan/speaking to lenders and have gotten nowhere. Some say we have to buy the house with them or we paid too little for the property and finally after going back and forth and submitting all our paper work and paying for appraisal they now tell us they didn鈥檛 realize that the property had so many bedrooms and they said they do not loan to properties with so many bedrooms. So back to square one

Property is in her name free and clear. She has a charge off that expirian will not delete everywhere else deleted it so that blocked her from getting a heloc no 401k my dti is high because we used my cards

What would u do in this situation? This is a buy and hold in a great location in a great market

Does anyone know of a group i can post this deal

And last option we were considering was to use her cards to pay off my debt so then I can buy the house from her and get a loan on it

If u made it this far thanks 馃檪

0Reply
27 views

Most Popular Reply

Henry ClarkPro Member
Developer 路 Member since 2020 路 4k+ posts 路 4k+ votes
1y

Need more info.

Are both accounts at the same bank?

Is there a pre existing loan with that bank with either of you?

Did anyone in one of the accounts die?

No way they froze both accounts with no explanation.  What did their Fraud or Audit department tell you?  I could see no respond if 1 or 2 days.  But sounds like weeks.  Some piece of communication is missing.  If no response contact the State Banking group and get them involved.  

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jaycee GreenePro Member
    Real Estate Consultant 路 St. Louis MSA 路 Member since 2024 路 3k+ posts 路 727 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Eryn Garcia:


    Hi friends!

    Looking for help and suggestions- I want to say I have learned my lesson and now know to use a third party to hold funds.

    This is my first time working with a private lender/family member. This is my third year investing with my mini me 12 year old and this is our 5th deal.

    My 12 year old found us a great deal- I teamed up with my friend and family member agreed to pay purchase and renovations. House was purchased August 2024 6k sq ft 9 bedroom distressed home for 66k ARV around 330k in the middle of renovations all of the sudden the bank accounts are frozen and we now have no funds to finish renovation. His bank account and our bank account is frozen and they just give us a scripted message saying funds will be released once investigation is over. This was months ago and family member has lawyered up to see what's going on we did continue working until we ran out of credit card figuring once the money is released we could just pay off the cards but the money is still on hold

    Back in October we decided that money does not exist and started applying for hard money loan/speaking to lenders and have gotten nowhere. Some say we have to buy the house with them or we paid too little for the property and finally after going back and forth and submitting all our paper work and paying for appraisal they now tell us they didn鈥檛 realize that the property had so many bedrooms and they said they do not loan to properties with so many bedrooms. So back to square one

    Property is in her name free and clear. She has a charge off that expirian will not delete everywhere else deleted it so that blocked her from getting a heloc no 401k my dti is high because we used my cards

    What would u do in this situation? This is a buy and hold in a great location in a great market

    Does anyone know of a group i can post this deal

    And last option we were considering was to use her cards to pay off my debt so then I can buy the house from her and get a loan on it

    If u made it this far thanks 馃檪

    Hey @Eryn Garcia! That is quite the pickle! What city is the property in?

  • Henry ClarkPro Member
    Developer 路 Member since 2020 路 4k+ posts 路 4k+ votes
    1y

    Need more info.

    Are both accounts at the same bank?

    Is there a pre existing loan with that bank with either of you?

    Did anyone in one of the accounts die?

    No way they froze both accounts with no explanation.  What did their Fraud or Audit department tell you?  I could see no respond if 1 or 2 days.  But sounds like weeks.  Some piece of communication is missing.  If no response contact the State Banking group and get them involved.  

  • Member since 2023 路 18 posts 路 4 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Henry Clark:

    Need more info.

    Are both accounts at the same bank?

    Is there a pre existing loan with that bank with either of you?

    Did anyone in one of the accounts die?

    No way they froze both accounts with no explanation.  What did their Fraud or Audit department tell you?  I could see no respond if 1 or 2 days.  But sounds like weeks.  Some piece of communication is missing.  If no response contact the State Banking group and get them involved.  


    Both accounts same bank they even froze her roommates account at the same bank and he had nothing to do with real estate no existing loan family member is alive. The only thing we can think of is he deals with a lot of international trade and money and maybe it鈥檚 OFAC we just get a scripted message every time we talk to someone so we got lawyers involved.

  • Henry ClarkPro Member
    Developer 路 Member since 2020 路 4k+ posts 路 4k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Eryn Garcia:
    Quote from @Henry Clark:

    Need more info.

    Are both accounts at the same bank?

    Is there a pre existing loan with that bank with either of you?

    Did anyone in one of the accounts die?

    No way they froze both accounts with no explanation.  What did their Fraud or Audit department tell you?  I could see no respond if 1 or 2 days.  But sounds like weeks.  Some piece of communication is missing.  If no response contact the State Banking group and get them involved.  


    Both accounts same bank they even froze her roommates account at the same bank and he had nothing to do with real estate no existing loan family member is alive. The only thing we can think of is he deals with a lot of international trade and money and maybe it鈥檚 OFAC we just get a scripted message every time we talk to someone so we got lawyers involved.


     Call the State Banking Commission tomorrow.   Give them all the details, contact information, time lines, relationships, etc.  Plus your contact at the banks Fraud or Audit department who you have been talking with. 

  • Henry ClarkPro Member
    Developer 路 Member since 2020 路 4k+ posts 路 4k+ votes
    1y

    If this is your 5th deal you should have already developed a banking relationship with a commercial banker. Switch over to a standard financial lending institution.  Ask for a line of credit.  You will need to build the relationship.  Move your banking there. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.