19 year old with $50,000 to invest.

19 year old with $50,000 to invest.

Member since 2025 · 6 posts · 9 votes

Hi my name is Jordan, Im currently a full time student in college. With no debt, I have about saved $50,000 that I want to start putting to use, been trying to submerge myself in the real estate world knowing its arguably the safest investment. Coming on here to hopefully make connections, or learn from those who have been or are in the same position I currently am in. Main goal is to start building a port folio, understanding the ins and outs and hopefully start lookin into property deals where the roi is high. 

0Reply
57 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · USA · Member since 2021 · 37 posts · 18 votes
    1y

    @Jordan Brown Welcome and congrats on saving that much in college! I started out with a house hack, and I would say that that was definitely safe for me when I was in college as I could afford the Mortgage even if my renter didn't pay. I always recommend it as a good place to start. I'm sure a lot of other people would in this group as well! 

  • Jaycee GreenePro Member
    Real Estate Consultant · St. Louis MSA · Member since 2024 · 3k+ posts · 727 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Jordan Brown:

    Hi my name is Jordan, Im currently a full time student in college. With no debt, I have about saved $50,000 that I want to start putting to use, been trying to submerge myself in the real estate world knowing its arguably the safest investment. Coming on here to hopefully make connections, or learn from those who have been or are in the same position I currently am in. Main goal is to start building a port folio, understanding the ins and outs and hopefully start lookin into property deals where the roi is high. 

    Hey @Jordan Brown, welcome to the BP Forum! What market/city are you in and what type of properties are you looking to add to your portfolio? SF, 2-4 MF, or 5+ MF? 

    What is your price point and are you looking for turn-key properties or something along the lines of a "fixer upper"?

  • Member since 2025 · 6 posts · 9 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Jaycee Greene:
    Quote from @Jordan Brown: Preferably just to start understanding the market and where I can start making a return. Im currently In LA county, but also lived In norther California area. I wouldn't necessarily want a fixer upper. Preferably something ready to move in. 

    Hi my name is Jordan, Im currently a full time student in college. With no debt, I have about saved $50,000 that I want to start putting to use, been trying to submerge myself in the real estate world knowing its arguably the safest investment. Coming on here to hopefully make connections, or learn from those who have been or are in the same position I currently am in. Main goal is to start building a port folio, understanding the ins and outs and hopefully start lookin into property deals where the roi is high. 

    Hey @Jordan Brown, welcome to the BP Forum! What market/city are you in and what type of properties are you looking to add to your portfolio? SF, 2-4 MF, or 5+ MF? 

    What is your price point and are you looking for turn-key properties or something along the lines of a "fixer upper"?


  • Jaycee GreenePro Member
    Real Estate Consultant · St. Louis MSA · Member since 2024 · 3k+ posts · 727 votes
    1y

    @Jordan Brown It might be difficult to find properties in your price range unless you're willing to house hack. Would something like this be of interest to you: https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/16137-Cool...?

  • Wale LawalBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    1y

    @Jordan Brown

    With $50,000 saved and no debt, you have a strong starting position for real estate investing. House hacking by purchasing a duplex, triplex, or single-family home with extra rooms can help you reduce or eliminate housing costs while building equity. If you're in a high-cost area, consider out-of-state markets where you could buy a rental property outright. Other options include the BRRRR strategy, which allows you to recycle your capital by refinancing after renovations, or partnering with an experienced investor to scale faster. To move forward, determine whether you prefer local or out-of-state investing, cash flow or appreciation, and self-management or hiring a property manager.

    Good luck!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.