Advise for investing in Cleveland Ohio

Advise for investing in Cleveland Ohio

Member since 2024 · 4 posts · 6 votes

Hi, 

I m planning my first real estate investment in Cleveland Ohio. Since I am looking at cash flow i m looking at C / C + neighborhoods. But I m really confused while selecting the areas. 
I know East Cleveland is not good for investment. I am considering West side of Cleveland. What are the areas I should avoid in West side of Cleveland  ? 
And which neighborhoods should I focus to invest ?

5Reply
244 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
1y
Quote from @Dhrubajyoti Kalita:

Hi, 

I m planning my first real estate investment in Cleveland Ohio. Since I am looking at cash flow i m looking at C / C + neighborhoods. But I m really confused while selecting the areas. 
I know East Cleveland is not good for investment. I am considering West side of Cleveland. What are the areas I should avoid in West side of Cleveland  ? 
And which neighborhoods should I focus to invest ?




For some info on the neighborhoods in Cleveland give The Ultimate Guide to Grading Cleveland Neighborhoods a read. It's designed to help out of state investors like you avoid problems investing here in Cleveland.
See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Kerlous TadresBusiness Member
    Realtor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Dhrubajyoti Kalita:

    Hi, 

    I m planning my first real estate investment in Cleveland Ohio. Since I am looking at cash flow i m looking at C / C + neighborhoods. But I m really confused while selecting the areas. 
    I know East Cleveland is not good for investment. I am considering West side of Cleveland. What are the areas I should avoid in West side of Cleveland  ? 
    And which neighborhoods should I focus to invest ?


    Hey Dhrubajyoti, I totally get the confusion. On the west side, I’d be cautious around Clark-Fulton and some parts of Detroit-Shoreway; certain streets can still be rough despite what the listings show. Areas like Old Brooklyn, Kamms Corners, and parts of West Park have been more stable and are still affordable, with solid rental demand. It really comes down to doing a street-by-street check or having someone local walk the area.
    Kerlous Tadres | Reafco Real Estate540 Reviews
  • Member since 2024 · 4 posts · 6 votes
    1y

    Thank you

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Dhrubajyoti Kalita:

    Hi, 

    I m planning my first real estate investment in Cleveland Ohio. Since I am looking at cash flow i m looking at C / C + neighborhoods. But I m really confused while selecting the areas. 
    I know East Cleveland is not good for investment. I am considering West side of Cleveland. What are the areas I should avoid in West side of Cleveland  ? 
    And which neighborhoods should I focus to invest ?




    For some info on the neighborhoods in Cleveland give The Ultimate Guide to Grading Cleveland Neighborhoods a read. It's designed to help out of state investors like you avoid problems investing here in Cleveland.
  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2016 · 146 posts · 110 votes
    1y

    Great question Dhrubajyoti,

    I would never advise against investing in Cleveland’s low-income neighborhoods because if we, as people and investors, don’t put resources into these communities, how will change ever happen?

    Instead, I encourage having a solid, thoughtful plan for investing in these areas and inspiring other like-minded investors to do the same. One property might not seem like much on its own, targeting one street at a time can create powerful, visible transformation. When we work together, we can revitalize entire neighborhoods at a much faster pace.

    I have solid investments on Cleveland’s westside and I do focus on 44102, 44135 and 44107 zip codes. I hope my response helps you with your investment strategy.

    • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2023 · 218 posts · 83 votes
      1y
      Quote from @R. Elle Berry:

      Elle that is very altruistic. Most investors don't care. Their presence in Cleveland at large is motivated by ROI. Let's call a duck a duck.

      Ironically/unintentionally, they have/are injecting resources in these low-income neighborhoods. Houses that were once boarded up are now being rented out. Although the functional obsolescence affecting these old homes has not been entirely resolved, it is a step forward.

  • Min ZhangBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    Hi Dhrubajyoti , You're on the right track staying away from East Cleveland for now. That said, I’ve had better luck and heard good things from other investors in spots like West Park (Kamm’s Corners), parts of Old Brooklyn, and even Jefferson if you’re looking for C/C+ areas with solid long-term tenants and not too much turnover. If you want, I can send you the neighborhood grading map I use and even connect you with my property manager there who’s been solid on the leasing/repair side !

  • Member since 2024 · 4 posts · 6 votes
    1y

    Thank you all for your comments and guidance.

  • Member since 2024 · 4 posts · 6 votes
    1y

    I have found a house which doesn't have a basement. I am confused now as basement added value to the property. Should I consider to purchase it ? 

    • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Dhrubajyoti Kalita:

      I have found a house which doesn't have a basement. I am confused now as basement added value to the property. Should I consider to purchase it ? 


       There are many factors to consider. It's not as simple as whether or not having a basement is or is not a deal breaker.

    • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2023 · 218 posts · 83 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Dhrubajyoti Kalita:

      I have found a house which doesn't have a basement. I am confused now as basement added value to the property. Should I consider to purchase it? 

      You won't learn much about Cleveland by analyzing people's thoughts. Money follows expertise. If you're serious about making money in Cleveland, find an investor who is also a licensed agent and pay them to teach you. Imagine that? FREE expert advice that will make you loads of money(lol).

  • New to Real Estate · Member since 2022 · 147 posts · 113 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Dhrubajyoti Kalita:

    Hi, 

    I m planning my first real estate investment in Cleveland Ohio. Since I am looking at cash flow i m looking at C / C + neighborhoods. But I m really confused while selecting the areas. 
    I know East Cleveland is not good for investment. I am considering West side of Cleveland. What are the areas I should avoid in West side of Cleveland  ? 
    And which neighborhoods should I focus to invest ?


    Here is the best advice you're gonna get here, don't invest in Cleveland at all. You're most likely gonna regret it and if cashflow is what you're after, real estate is not it. To truly make any money, especially in a market like Cleveland, you'd need quite a bit in reserves when you consider capex, repairs of these old Cleveland homes, tenants issues and not to mention that pretty much any turnover is gonna cost you like $5K minimum. It looks good on paper, but its not in reality. You missed the train. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.