Assessing Plumbing/water/sewer Risks for Older Home Rental Properties
I’m exploring rental properties in Milwaukee, Racine, Northwest Indiana, or Jackson, Tennessee, but I’m consistently stopped by the prospect of aging plumbing. Many of these homes still rely on galvanized interior pipes or retain a lead service line up to the house’s entry point, yet standard inspections rarely include a video scope of the water, sewer, or supply lines. My concern is that I could face an unexpected repair bill running into the thousands—something I want to avoid without becoming so selective that I miss out on solid deals.
Are lead water lines that terminate upon entry into the house really an issue (not throughout the house, just into the houses entry point)? If low water pressure suggests a blockage or corrosion, is it typically a straightforward fix—scope the line, replace the offending section, and move on at modest cost—or does it more often signal hidden piping issues behind walls that demand full repipes costing several thousand dollars? Likewise, what’s the likelihood that supply or sewer mains will require dedicated camera inspections—and that those inspections will reveal defects leading to major outlays? I understand conditions vary by locale; are these worst-case scenarios common enough to justify my caution, or am I overthinking what often proves to be manageable issues?