Where do folks put their emergency cash reserves?

Where do folks put their emergency cash reserves?

Investor · Mission Viejo, CA · Member since 2013 · 48 posts · 14 votes

Hi,

I have been reading the posts and have set aside money for an emergency funds for our rental properties. The funds are currently sitting in a bank savings account earning close to 0.01% interest. I am wondering if there are better places to earn a higher yield but still have the funds semi-liquid in case a repair comes up. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Dean

1Reply
60 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · Sebastian, FL · Member since 2014 · 812 posts · 432 votes
12y

@Dean Suzuki My thinking revolves around probability. How likely is it that I will need $1000? Answer, extremely. So I keep $2000 in my savings account at virtually no interest as my short term float. How likely is it that I will need $5000? Less likely, but it will happen. OK, so $5,000 in easily liquidated investments such as CDs, split into $1,000 increments of rotating maturities. These get a whopping amount of interest, also, but better than savings accounts. As my portfolio grows so will this amount. Then I keep at least $20,000 in investments that are not very liquid, but ones I can use as collateral if I need the money in a hurry. That currently involves an unleveraged property, so that part of my reserves is also earning real money. But this also depends on knowing ahead of time where the money can come from so you can get it quickly. The income from this property is also tagged to replenish the liquid reserve funds, as needed.

See this reply in the discussion

30 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • SFR Investor · Member since 2011 · 198 posts · 61 votes
    12y

    We keep 5,000 cash

    5,000 in checking.

    10,000 in savings.

    10,000 in a CD that we can take cash out of anytime but only at the bank.

    We save money up for our next purchase in other CD's that are the same as the emergency fund CD.

    We try to NEVER use credit cards!

  • Lender · Bellevue WA & Orange County, CA · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Lane Kawaoka:
    Good point therefore run out and open an account with vanguard/fidelity and deposit 1 penny so you can timestamp you account. So in 2019 you can employ this strategy.

    I like your thinking lol but each segment of money has a 5 year timeline unfortunately.

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2009 · 566 posts · 274 votes
    12y
    Buried in the backyard and hidden under the mattress....ultimate liquidity. I also hold all of my cash in singles.
  • Rental Property Investor · Mcallen, TX · Member since 2011 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    12y

    vanguard tax free municipal bond fund

  • Real Estate Investor · chicago, IL · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 231 votes
    12y

    i have $ in a local credit union. i also took a line of credit vs my primary home doubling the amount of reserves just in case. i pay $65 each year for the fee but i sleep really good at night.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.